Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2020, 12:47 AM   #1

Default 1996 Roadtrek 210 -- Leak on both rear corners.

Hi Guys,

I'm a brand new owner of my first RV! It's a 1996 Roadtrek 210 (Chevy) in great condition (just 79K miles).

So we're going through it and cleaning it up and we noticed there appear to be dark water stains on the both back corner upholstery (worse on the drivers side) above the bed.

I've poked around various forums but can't find a good answer as to whether this is most likely a seal, A/C, or something else.

Any help to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
~g
gkise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:47 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I do not know who.the manufacturer of the windows were that year but if you wait a few hours, all.the model specific answers will arrive.

In my case, a 2005 Roadtrek 190 Versatile I had that problem until I hired a window replacement expert who went around all the windows with a black compound he has used on other RV's before.

They don't look like brand new windows anymore because I asked him to go all out - no more leaks, $75 a window.

In my experience, I was told 5 years is the upper limit suggested before interventional maintenance - your rig is 24 years old.

I know that in the 2005, the AC is considered outside of the body, think Human Digestive System.

Will find some photos.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:59 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I will add that in a rig 24 years old, its best to get to the basics, stripping everything back & re-establishing a patent edge at all possible points of water intrusion.

And I am talking about every window including the 3 on top, up front.

Then its good for another 5-10 years.

I chose to reupholster & didn't want to experience another single drip.

We put enough goop everywhere that if the van was to lrave the road & enter a body of water as it rolled over it wouldnt flood but be blown on top of the water surface like a top.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 07-30-2020, 04:16 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Somewhere there should be a thread here on this topic. I believe the last one that I read had to do with water seeping in the rear tail light cavities. Others with this problem will better address it than me.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:19 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Here is a photo the thick black stuff around the windows, now understand that for wither 75 or $150 (I think it was more like $150 a window), he took all the windows out, did his magic & then reinstalled them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200727_132049_resized.jpg (275.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:38 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Here is photos of leaks from 2019, the water could have come from either the three windows on top, the lights on top, possibly from the awning supports - not the solar or vent inserts as we doubled down on the magic formula here.

The photos from the rear are in different phones. But they were similar in nature.

I cannot emphasize enough that if you are going to invest any money into a rig, go over every inch with a professional.

Black Mould can be an issue for sensitive people but even very healthy people, over time, being exposed to it continually within the context of RV Living, Sleeping & Recreation, can become very ill & predispose you to other respiratory illnesses, Covid being of paramount importance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190307_124341_resized.jpg (243.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20190307_124350_resized.jpg (308.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20190306_111253_resized.jpg (374.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20190307_124358_resized.jpg (286.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #7

Thanks a ton for the great replies!

Frotunately, I don't have any of the damage you had (themexicandoctor).

More good news is I talked with the prior owner who was fastidious with my roadtrek and he said he saw the issue, but carefully monitored over a very wet winter and had no leakage. Also he used the A/C daily for a month and also had no problems.

I'm hoping that the owner before him might have already solved the problem. Fingers crossed.

But we'll keep a close eye on it and take the steps recommended if we see any issues.

Cheers!
~g
gkise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:21 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Gotcha, Happy Travels.

There is nothing better than driving through torrential rain because you can* or the sound of rain on the rig
*if you can because you did all the steps right, the sense of security is true contentment

*if you didn't, lying there when its passing down outside is going to be restless sleep at best. And then even before the water damage presents itself you will be walking around asking each other "sniff sniff, does that sound like mould to you or just dampness .."

Nerve-wracking!
Old 08-09-2020, 06:40 PM   #9

Default leaks

I had leak on my 95 210 on the R side under drip rail above the window. could not be seen on the out side but visible by removing the panel on the inside. Cost 1800 to repair by expert body man. Mine was a problem that had been fixed before but not well. This problem started was many years before i owned the unit.
I would test by tapeing the window so no water comes in and then see if it leaks
You could also do the reverse by just putting water on the window below the rain rail.
The drip rail tends to cause rust where the screws attach the roof. it might be good to seal along the top of the cover over the rail to keep water out.
Warren Denver, colo
303 921 4609
warrene2535@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkise View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm a brand new owner of my first RV! It's a 1996 Roadtrek 210 (Chevy) in great condition (just 79K miles).

So we're going through it and cleaning it up and we noticed there appear to be dark water stains on the both back corner upholstery (worse on the drivers side) above the bed.

I've poked around various forums but can't find a good answer as to whether this is most likely a seal, A/C, or something else.

Any help to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
~g
It's probably condensation from the Cool Cat heat pump vent plumbing or the drain holes for the mounting area of the Cool Cat are blocked and preventing water from running out. If I run my Cool Cat for a really long time when it's humid out, I will occasionally get some water in the upholstery around the vents. I got aggressive with a water hose one day while I was removing a nest from the Cool Cat roof area and I got a lot of water on my upholstery above the bed area.

Some pictures of the water stains would help immensely.
BasicBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:46 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Had to reseal the roof AC on our Popular 190.
That did it.
tomiverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:17 AM   #12

We have a 1999 200 We had the windows reglazed in the back they put some putty in the hole ware the tail lights are when the panels were off they could see it leaking
warm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #13

We have 07 RT 190P and over a drive from CT to VT at the beginning of storm Isaias driving in a downpour had water dripping in over the light fixture under the A/C unit. Got home and this weekend started spraying locations outside the van and in the A/C compartments one at a time to see if there was any water penetration. I removed the light fixture and the two vents under the A/C so I could bet better look in side. I started with the brake light high up over the rear doors spraying lots of water after removing the light. Then went in and looked inside to see if any dripping. Had none. Then moved to the gutters and sprayed water real hard along the back of each side and checked again. No dripping. I then sprayed water inside to the back of the center of the A/C where the radiator grill is and could see water draining out of the condensate holes in the back. I poured lots of water and went in again and still no dripping. I then sprayed the left side of the A/C unit (since it is separated from the central portion) and then checked inside again and still no dripping. I then did the same thing to the left side and sprayed lots of water in the and went inside and checked and voila there was water dripping in exactly where it had been coming in during the heavy rain. So I removed the A/C cover and and looked it. Could not see much in the tight space but did see what appeared to be a lack of caulking on the side of the plastic housing for the A/C unit that ran about 3-4 in above the base. It was tight but managed to get some caulking in there. It is our only vehicle so had to button up before it cured for testing but will test it out today and see if it worked. Stay tuned. As far as I know windows do not leak.
Travlinphoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #14

Meant to say that I sprayed water on the right side of the A/C and found water dripping inside.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:31 PM   #15

Smile Leaking RT in rear

This is the follow up to my last post. Just sprayed a ton of water into the right hand side of the A/C unit up top and found that all of the caulking that I did the other day solved my leak.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:02 PM   #16
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post

They don't look like brand new windows anymore because I asked him to go all out - no more leaks, $75 a window.
The way they are installing most of the new windows today actually use a foam tape... of course I found this out after i used some of the black stuff like you mentioned. If they ever leak, or have to come out, I will find the new foam tape they use.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:11 PM   #17
Silver Member

may not be the same problem but the AC's are installed in a similar fashion to my rig. If you ran the AC and everything wasn't level or pitched to the back it would pool up condensate. the first time you went for a drive it would spill out the water and end up on the corner of the beds or flooding through an electrical outlet on the ceiling and soaking the bed. Of course if you were really unlevel it would leak just sitting still.

First time I pulled out the AC I installed a pan under the unit and no more leaks.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:55 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlinphoolz View Post
This is the follow up to my last post. Just sprayed a ton of water into the right hand side of the A/C unit up top and found that all of the caulking that I did the other day solved my leak.
Congrats and thanks for the followup.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:43 AM   #19
Platinum Member

I had the ‘05, and had a leak that came through the visor bracket on the drivers side. I sealed around the three windows. The running lights were loose, I loosened the screws, put sealant around and tightened them down. I had a stain inside, used some spray upholstery shampoo with the little bristle brunch on top, and it cleared. Never had a problem after that. Somehow I remember a Post by Booster where he removed his lites snd did major work to cure rust or something.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:03 AM   #20
Bronze Member

Mine leaked and i had bad caulk on seal of air conditioning opened inside caulked and solved problem. Cleaned water stains off looks great.
robert g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, chevy, leak, roadtrek