Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2021, 04:49 PM   #1

Default 1996 Roadtrek Popular electrical problem

Hi everyone! I am Elliott, a new owner for a for a 1996 Chevy Roadtrek 210 popular (short intro) Fist of all I would like to say thank you for the forum I've learned a lot by checking it out.
I just bought a 1996 Chevy Roadtrek 210 Popular with 92k mileage the problem I am having is that the battery drain overnight do to parasite currents. I am measuring .54 milliamps I remove all the fuses but not luck finding the problem.

-I found that the Isolator was bad and I by pass it,
- eliminate the alarm system, the radio, and I discounted the cable going from the Isolator to the house battery
- the people I bought it from told me that the alternator and the battery are new
- in idle stage the battery read 14.5 Volts
- with the battery disconnected reads 12.39 Volts if I connected back up again the system start dropping slowly

Any ideas??
Xplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

When you say "bypassed" the isolator does that mean jumper around it?

Where are you measuring the parasitic current, coach battery or starting battery?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:24 PM   #3

I mean I am not using the isolator for the moment I splice the alternator and battery cable together because the isolator is shorted out. I am measuring at the the engine battery... I hope that answer your question.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplore View Post
I mean I am not using the isolator for the moment I splice the alternator and battery cable together because the isolator is shorted out. I am measuring at the the engine battery... I hope that answer your question.

You are dealing with just the van OEM electronics unless it has been altered by someone. I assume you mean 54 milliamps not .54. That is .054 amps so in 24 hours would only be a bit over 1 amp hour of battery use, which should not kill any starting battery.

I guess the question is, what problem are you trying to fix?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:19 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I think the OP meant 0.54 Amps.

It's interesting the previous owner replaced the alternator, so this might have been going on a while, OR they put in a bad alternator.
I saw a place where they rebuild these, and it's amazing they can do anything right. (an auction at a bankrupt company with an hiding place for undocumented workers)
Disconnect the alternator output and if that doesn't drop the current, look at the voltage regulator.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #6

Mic7320 I will disconnect the alternator today and let you know how it goes.
thanks
Old 04-23-2021, 01:30 AM   #7

I disconnected the cable that goes from the alternator to the battery (the one use to charge the battery when the van is running) and the amps reading drop to zero.
I did measured the diodes and they look good?
do you all think is because I am not using the Isolator? do you all think that once I install the new Isolator the problem is going to be gone?
Old 04-23-2021, 02:23 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Alternators are multiphase generators with a diode array. The most likely problem is a bad diode, so maybe you somehow missed it when you measured it. Or, maybe it has a different leakage pathway, such as a short to the frame, but it appears you have now isolated it to the alternator.

Do you still have contact with the seller? There may be a warranty on the alternator.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:36 AM   #9

I did installed a new Isolator today and looks like is working I let the battery connected today, I will see in the morning if it still charge but the amp reading was zero after that change, so it should be charge. But I do agree with you the diodes in the alternator are shorted I will be taking it back to the place that installed the alternator and let them check it out.

Thanks for your input and advise.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #10

Default Battery Cut off

This is common with RT. You will spend a lot of time trying to track this down and probably never find it. Because you have a "house" tied to vehicle it can be challenging. You can install a separator in lieu of the isolator with a rocker switch ( auto, combine, separate), or you can install a switch on the battery to break the negative to ground. ( a lot easier.) I installed this switch and use it if the van is going to sit for 5 days or more. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RD3171 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1996roadtrek, batteryproblem, electricalproblem, roadtrek