Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Bob

Default 1998 road trek lp gas valve for on/off

Just new to the forum. I cannot locate the on/off valve on rt 190 Popular. There are five locations on the propane tank. 1. has gauge
2. has l shaped pipe with screw driver type projection which I am afraid to turn, looks rusted and is not a hand type valve. Difficult to trace route.3. Tube runs to solenoid type fitting, where goes don't know. 4/5 just pipes running somewhere, hard to trace.

Along side the regular gas cap location on the outside is an on/off switch which I have no idea what it is for, appears to have something to do with propane since it is above the lp gas filler apparatus.

If anyone knows where the on/off valve is to turn on the lp, please let me know.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Bob
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I copied this from the 1998 Roadtrek Owner's Manual

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: 1998 road trek lp gas valve for on/off

A guy that lives around the corner from me asked me the same question today. He said his 2 burner stove top was working this morning. We tried it and the furnace and the water heater. All failed to ignite. So, I pulled the manual off of Roadtrek.com, and found the same comments in the manual about the 2 valve/switch system. I was pretty sure the remote switch was open, so got down underneath, and there is a valve stem (without a handle or device to allow it to be easily turned) that looks like the stem from a water tap for your garden hose. I tried turning it with a pair of pliers, wouldn't budge, so he's taken it back to the place where they replaced the ball joints sometime in the last 24-48 hours. I simply didn't want to force it or damage it. The tank gauge and his monitor panel both showed an acceptable level of propane in the tank, so it wasn't that. We assume the service tech turned off the tank valve, before beginning the steering/alignment work. I'll ask tomorrow if that solved the problem. I also gave him one of my "business" cards with this forum's URL address on it, so don't be surprised if you get a request for access from a new member. They're off to Florida soon, if they can get the propane working.
They have a 1998 D190P that looks to be in great shape.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I'll be interested to hear the update.

I'm impressed Mike. A call out to help a fellow Roadtrek owner in the middle of winter no less and a plug for Class B Forum Thanks Mike!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Typically propane flows through the shut off valve to the regulator. There might be a pipe or hose in-between but he should be able to trace it back.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg shut off propane.jpg (36.8 KB, 1457 views)
Old 01-09-2013, 03:24 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I don't recall the exact configuration of his tank, as I only had a quick look underneath the van. I know it didn't have the actual knob (as seen in your picture) on what I was sure was the open/close valve stem on the side of the tank. The more I think about it, I don't recall seeing the regulator either, but my memory is terrible. I didn't have a flashlight, so I didn't try to trace the hoses between the switch at the fill pipe fitting with the yellow dust cap beside his gasoline fill pipe.

As for the service call, in winter, lying on an acquaintance's driveway (I met him a few months ago when he walked by our place by with his wife, and we spoke about Roadtreks briefly. seemed like nice folks) while flakes of rust fell on me, well, that's what I do. I wish I could have helped more, but I'm sure the repair place he went back to, sorted it out. I did give him some tips for how some of the on board systems actually worked. They haven't used their van extensively yet. I offered my services as a mentor, because I've probably had just about every issue that you can have, as a newbie RVer.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Platinum Member

RV'ers are a helpful group. If anyone reading this is avoiding trying RV'ing because of all the complexities don't let that be your reason. Help is all around.
I've had a few offers of help. Last one was an awning problem. I don't remember exactly what it was now but a fellow camper saw me struggling and came over and solved the problem.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Pride and/or ego are probably the only things preventing some folks from trying RVing, or asking for help. We're probably all guilty at one time or another of not wanting to feel helpless by asking someone to explain something, or just to show you how something is done. It's probably the first thing you have to overcome before venturing out. Leave the ego at home. Don't be afraid to ask someone for help. Driving and living in an RV, definitely isn't the same as living in your home. It can seem really overwhelming to the newbies, and I've heard some say, "there's so much to know and remember", and that's the way it seems when you're just starting out, but it does get easier and starts to make sense over time, like most things in life.
When you finally start trying to figure out RV stuff on your own, it's good to maintain a mental blend of bravery and daring, coupled with common sense and caution. In my opinion, of course.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
Platinum Member

That's me..... I don't ask for help easily,..... including directions!
I'm learning to though
Old 01-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I bought private, and so got no demo of the various RV systems. I got a lot of info from this forum by searching and asking questions, and have asked fellow RVers questions, or for help, when on the road. We learned on our second long trip into the colder mountains of Utah and Colorado, how to prep and operate our furnace by asking some young ladies we saw in an older Roadtrek from California, whether it was as simple as flipping the thermostat switch to "furnace"? They said if the propane was "on" at the tank, and the battery enable switch was "enabled", it should come on by setting the switch to furnace, and sliding the temperature set point. It was lucky that we found out, because we had to use it on the way home, too, in November. I was thinking it was probably as complex as the water systems, which I still can't trace end to end, and it surprised us that it was that simple.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I'll be interested to hear the update.

I'm impressed Mike. A call out to help a fellow Roadtrek owner in the middle of winter no less and a plug for Class B Forum Thanks Mike!
The update is, the guy with the propane issue hasn't left yet for Florida, at least in his van. I've driven past his place a few times in the last 2 weeks expecting to see an empty driveway (we've had steady snow since Wednesday, and I decided to drive everywhere until it melts, in a general protest of winter) and his Roadtrek is still just sitting in the driveway where we left it. Maybe they got scared, and went to Florida in the car instead?
If the snow melts away in the forecast thaw next week, maybe I'll walk over and ask what's up. I bet it was the valve (without a proper handle on his van) like the one in your pic.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
Platinum Member

So, I finally got a quick synopsis of the whole sad story.
Yup, they did go to Florida by car. Left the Roadtrek in the driveway.
It seems he took it back to the place he got the work done, who may have been a Ford dealer, which always puzzles me, why you'd take it to Ford, when it's a Dodge chassis. Anyway, after whoever it was looked at it, they decided that it was the regulator, and replaced that. Then on the way home, his right front wheel started smoking, and they had to have the front suspension/brakes/something else done, and it all wound up costing him over $1000, and they decided not to use their now repaired van. I guess they either want to start small over the summer, with a few short trips, or you might see it on kijiji soon. It is in good shape.