Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2020, 04:05 AM   #1

Default 1999 American Cruiser RE 2000 Generator access?

Is the only access by dropping the entire generator from under the rv?
quazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:18 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Not familiar with your model, but if your generator is not accessible by a side bay access door, then yours in probably underneath which means you'd have to drop it.

Probably more than I'd like to handle, but many on this forum have done it.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:32 AM   #3
Platinum Member

what work do you need to do on the genny?

is it an onan2800?

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:16 AM   #4

It won't start. Will crank but not even a pop. Just spins over. How do you tell without actually seeing it? The switch location? It's right behind the passenger seat on the floor. From memory I think it sad onan on it. Can check tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
Platinum Member

To start with, make sure your gas tank is full. Change the spark plug. Change the air filter. Change the fuel filter (not that easy). Turn the carb bowl drain screw (careful not to turn any needle valve adjustment screws in error) and see if any gas comes out. That should tell you it is getting gas. I would do them in that order before considering dropping the genny.

Also, make sure there are no electrical loads on when trying to crank it over. Is it full of oil? I believe there is a way to check if the low oil sensor is bad, but I don't have the knowledge on how to do that.

I know I've thrown a lot out there, but just letting you know there a many things to check before dropping a generator. And, as suggested by this forum on other generator threads, seek out a small engine repair shop before considering an Onan service center.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:35 PM   #6

Wait how do you access it. From what I can see from under the van its all enclosed. This issue is I think it will have to be dropped to do that. Figured the bowl is probably varnished etc from old gas. Just not looking forward to need to drop it. Instead of it being accessed from the side. It was just serviced 3 years and 9 run hours ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200713_101306.jpg (160.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-13-2020, 07:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

also check for a fuel petcock on the gas line from the tank

my van has one ( the idea is to close petcock and run carb dry when storing...) I can reach mine by sticking arm in front of LR tire

the onan usually has a easily removed cover facing the rear of the van- make sure you get it back in snug and locked

( if you need post back and I'll send a pic of the cover (- pics are a real pain for me to post)

My genny ( other have been through this too) was gunked up and I mixed 20% sea foam and 80% gas in a peanut butter jar and stuck the fuel line in the jar ( after shooting carb cleaner down the fuel line with syringe)

worked the starter on and off until the stuff had a chance to work and got it going

it was "surging"

put a load on by running AC on high

some of us have found that a surging/rough genny gets better after a long long drive with the fuel sloshing in the float bowl

I am due to exercise my genny and will use it to power my leaf blower and hedge trimmer out in the yard ...

Mike
Old 07-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #8

Ok so it starts with starting fluid. When I hold down stop to prime. There is no noise from it priming. And when you press start don't hear the fuel pump either. So pretty sure it's something electrical.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:40 PM   #9

No doesnt surge. Just cranks. No wanting to fire. Just cranks and cranks. Sprayed starting fluid it started right up. Then died. And when cranking you dont here the pump or when priming ( or do not all of them have priming while press and holding stop?) .
Old 07-13-2020, 10:43 PM   #10

Here is a picture of the back side of the switch. Does anyone know the wiring for this so I can test with a multi-meter or test light. Also thought they all have a start switch in the generator its self? I couldn't find it. Best part is there is about 5 inches of room between the front of the genny and the black tank. So most everything is by feel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200713_164549.jpg (179.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-13-2020, 10:52 PM   #11

Also its a 2.8 kv-fa/26100G.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_614793275811725.jpg (129.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-13-2020, 10:54 PM   #12

Can A Mod please move this to the generator directory please. Sorry for not posting this there in the first place.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:11 AM   #13
Bronze Member

If it starts with starting fluid, you DO NOT have an electrical problem, you have a fuel problem.
Disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor and push the start button (either "local" inside the generator housing or have an assistant use the start button inside the RV ). Fuel should squirt out of the fuel line, if not you have a bad electric fuel pump (common) or a clogged fuel line to fuel tank. If the fuel pump is bad you will have to drop the generator. Not a terribly hard job for DIY'ers.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:06 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazy View Post
Here is a picture of the back side of the switch. Does anyone know the wiring for this so I can test with a multi-meter or test light. Also thought they all have a start switch in the generator its self? I couldn't find it. Best part is there is about 5 inches of room between the front of the genny and the black tank. So most everything is by feel.
Your wiring order is fine (I just replaced mine and the enclosed Onan diagram is the same as yours is wired).

I'd just push on the top blue wire so it is fully connected and move on.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:59 AM   #15
Platinum Member

When you get your working, do you want to give mine a try? The local Cummins shop quoted $2500 - $4500! Also, you might be interested in the Facebook group "American Cruiser Camper Vans" - I just joined a few days ago based on a lead I got on this forum.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:40 PM   #16

Just FYI the red light on the switch doesn't light up when trying to prime or when cranking. Thats what was making me think its a wiring issue and maybe the switch. Hence why I asked if anyone had a wiring schematic.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:18 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just FYI the red light on the switch doesn't light up when trying to prime or when cranking. Thats what was making me think its a wiring issue and maybe the switch. Hence why I asked if anyone had a wiring schematic.
I will go check mine.

EDIT: Nope. The orange light does not come on until my generator fires up. While cranking, light is off.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:43 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Also thought they all have a start switch in the generator its self? I couldn't find it

I think mine is lower left

here's manual:

http://onan.xmsi.net/981-0506%20Onan...0(03-1991).pdf