Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2020, 07:59 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default 2.8KW Onan Generator Carburetor Replacement

Does anyone have any experience replacing the carb on an Onan 2.8kw generator? The factory part runs $600-$1200. I'm thinking about a Replacement Carburetor for Onan Cummins 146-0802 146-0705 RV Carburetor 2.8 KV Model. Any help?
Diver007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I replaced my 2.8 carb last year, purchased it on Ebay and it works just fine.
Paid 69.00 for it.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:13 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Amazon has a bunch of aftermarket units. I just installed one on my 4000 Onan microlite that works wonderfully. The brand on mine is Carbhub. I don't see the same brand for the 2.8.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #4

I’ve replaced the 2800’s carb just a couple of months ago. Genny had not been used in years by previous owner. The carb is a PITA to remove. That last bolt at the back needs a thin wrench. Tried to clean the carb to no avail. Cummins were no help and way too pricey. Ended up with the cheapest Ebay carb replacement I could find. Works great now.
Bricklin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Please list part numbers or the amazon links for suitable replacements.
Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Please list part numbers or the amazon links for suitable replacements.
Mike
I did get it on Amazon not Ebay. Here is the link to the item;

Carburetor Replacement for 146-0705 RV 2.8 KV 2800 Gasoline Generator Carb 146-0802

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07PLR7RNC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_TZn5FbK76AK85?_encoding=UT F8&psc=1
Bricklin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:45 PM   #7
Silver Member

Mine is a 2.8kHGJBB and they say the p/n is A043K683. Do you recall what the carb was that you replaced?
Old 01-06-2021, 10:29 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I don't have an Onan generator (thankfully) but I can't even remember how many small engine carburetors I have replaced on lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc. over the years. I have usually bought inexpensive carbs on Amazon or Ebay with pretty good luck. I finally though took the time to watch some youtube videos about how to remove and clean the jets with carb cleaner. As long as I was taking the carburetor off anyway, it would be worth a little of my time and effort to try to save some money to just clean it. It is surprisingly easy once you get started. Not sure if this applies to yours but here is one video.

jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:42 PM   #9
Silver Member

Any trick to getting the carb off? The throttle line looks like it's difficult to remove. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Most of these small engine carburetors have throttle cables that are just a small wire with a bend in it that you snake around the proper hole in the carburetor. You remove the 2 bolts that hold the carburetor onto the engine, twist it 90 degrees to offset the bend in the throttle wire and slide it off. You just have to remember the correct holes to reattach it. Removing the throttle wires is the easy part.

In this picture, you can see how the 2 wires just side through the linkage in the carburetor. This was an Onan carburetor picture I saw online although it may not apply exactly to the one on your van.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7550860496_d696e53268_m.jpg (15.9 KB, 140 views)
Old 01-10-2021, 05:09 PM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
Most of these small engine carburetors have throttle cables that are just a small wire with a bend in it that you snake around the proper hole in the carburetor. You remove the 2 bolts that hold the carburetor onto the engine, twist it 90 degrees to offset the bend in the throttle wire and slide it off. You just have to remember the correct holes to reattach it. Removing the throttle wires is the easy part.

In this picture, you can see how the 2 wires just side through the linkage in the carburetor. This was an Onan carburetor picture I saw online although it may not apply exactly to the one on your van.
Not to be a pest but how did you remove the studs from the engine or will the carb slip past it with the linkage attached? Nice to have someone who has done this before. My generator is under the Roadtrek and quite hard to get at.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:41 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Watch the above video and pause it at 6:05. You can see that the carburetor pulls off at a 90 degree angle to the cables. If you look close you can see the 2 holes in the carburetor where the bolts went through and then at the top of the screen you can see the two bolts still attached to the engine. The bolt threads are gold colored. Most of these small engine carburetors are attached with 2 simple bolts with a gasket in between the carb and the engine. You can then watch him tilt the carb to tease that wire off

You are right that the hardest part is doing this under the van in an awkward position. That is why they charge a lot to do it .
Old 01-10-2021, 08:20 PM   #13
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
Watch the above video and pause it at 6:05. You can see that the carburetor pulls off at a 90 degree angle to the cables. If you look close you can see the 2 holes in the carburetor where the bolts went through and then at the top of the screen you can see the two bolts still attached to the engine. The bolt threads are gold colored. Most of these small engine carburetors are attached with 2 simple bolts with a gasket in between the carb and the engine. You can then watch him tilt the carb to tease that wire off

You are right that the hardest part is doing this under the van in an awkward position. That is why they charge a lot to do it .
Thanks for your help. Mine is a bit harder the carb sits facing the right side of the vehicle, it appears that the carb may slip ou some but not sure if it will hit the side housing first and I'll need to remove the studs to clear it. RVs were supposed to be fun! Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:33 PM   #14

I am about to replace the carb on my 2800... I have replaced quite a few carbs on small engines so I'm not too worried, but because of where it sits in my Roadtrek 170 (underneath towards the rear) it's hard to work on... reeeeeealy hard to get my hands in there as it sits, and I think it would be better to take the top cover off to make it easier, so I will drop it down as that looks the easiest... it appears the fuel line easily disconnects...

but my main concern is how to disconnect the wire/cord that comes from the gen to the van... anyone dealt with that? Is this an easy to disconnect clip of some kind or is it bolted dryer vent style to the gen? I couldn't see. I lowered it the other day part-way and the fuel line and electrical hung up as I lowered it... as if Roadtrek didn't anticipate this method of someone working on it...
muklouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:41 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Hi and Welcome.

Good idea to dig around the web and find someone with a 170 who can offer tips and the details for your model.

Suggest you think about adding a petcock on the fuel line and an inline fuel pump and filter where they are easy to service
Old 09-14-2022, 03:10 PM   #16

Default Replaced carb

Well I replaced the carb... without dropping gen down from the underside. What a nasty PIA job that was. Had to put RV on ramps, lay on my backside and prop my back and head up on a bunch of old blankets and sheets until I could see straight into the gen. Proceeded to drop one of the gaskets down into the abyss and yet somehow found it and got it all buttoned back up before realizing there was another gasket/spacer that also fell into the abyss (I wondered what that sound was)... so I took it all back apart and somehow found that gasket and then put it all back together. Hooked it all back up and it started first try. Generator sat there for 9 years unused. For whatever reason the person that originally bought it just never used it. My neck hurts.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:47 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Having rebuilt or serviced a number of carbs- I wonder what it is with the Onan where replacement is often needed rather than a rebuild.

anyone know ?
Old 09-14-2022, 04:54 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Having rebuilt or serviced a number of carbs- I wonder what it is with the Onan where replacement is often needed rather than a rebuild. anyone know ?

Onan used to have rebuild kits, I have been told, available before the smaller passage, no adjustments (allegedly) emissions carbs came out. Like may things built for compliance, no kits as as there is supposed to be no tampering. I think the change came in mid 2000s. Kits also disappeared then so nobody could put them in the new carbs.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:41 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muklouie View Post
Well I replaced the carb... without dropping gen down from the underside. What a nasty PIA job that was. Had to put RV on ramps, lay on my backside and prop my back and head up on a bunch of old blankets and sheets until I could see straight into the gen. Proceeded to drop one of the gaskets down into the abyss and yet somehow found it and got it all buttoned back up before realizing there was another gasket/spacer that also fell into the abyss (I wondered what that sound was)... so I took it all back apart and somehow found that gasket and then put it all back together. Hooked it all back up and it started first try. Generator sat there for 9 years unused. For whatever reason the person that originally bought it just never used it. My neck hurts.
Did you use an OEM carb or did you buy an aftermarket replacement?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Did you use an OEM carb or did you buy an aftermarket replacement?
Found an OEM on Amazon "Cummins 1460705 Onan Carburetor" which was less $$ than what Cummins wanted $$$, but more that some of the off-brands $ that seem to have problems. I'm glad I spent a little more because it did start up first try and I haven't looked back (mainly because my neck still hurts)