Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2021, 05:28 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 2 Q's fiberglass filler ,, tailpipe Goo

Hi
It’s been a while since I’ve asked any questions so, now I have two

1…. I have a small ding in the fiberglass above the windshield. I would like to repair this before it causes a problem. What do I need to fill the dang with and can I just put touchup paint over it then

2.. The second question is about my generator. After running it for about an hour in 80° weather we noticed some type of a tar like build up at the end of the tailpipe. It actually formed a thin layer or film across the tailpipe opening. Fortunately we noticed it before we tried to start the generator. I’m wondering what the gooo* might be and if it’s going to be a problem?
2008 Roadtrek 210 popilar
Onan gen 2800

Thanks for any help
Michael

Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike View Post
Hi
It’s been a while since I’ve asked any questions so, now I have two

1…. I have a small ding in the fiberglass above the windshield. I would like to repair this before it causes a problem. What do I need to fill the dang with and can I just put touchup paint over it then

2.. The second question is about my generator. After running it for about an hour in 80° weather we noticed some type of a tar like build up at the end of the tailpipe. It actually formed a thin layer or film across the tailpipe opening. Fortunately we noticed it before we tried to start the generator. I’m wondering what the gooo* might be and if it’s going to be a problem?
2008 Roadtrek 210 popilar
Onan gen 2800

Thanks for any help
Michael

Michael

Can't say on the generator, as that is not something I have ever seen, but for the filler you can use normal body filler but the fiberglass fillers are better, stronger, and water proof.

They have them at a lot of automotive parts stores, just look for short fiber filled fiberglass filler and make sure it is water proof. They are very strong and durable compared to the nomal lightweight fillers. They are sandable but takes a bit more effort.

If you use the fiberglass filler it is best to sand down to the glass in the area to be filled. Regular filler you can get away with putting on scuffed, well adhered, paint or primer.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote