Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2021, 05:19 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default 2001 Dodge 190 rear springs

My roadtrek 190 has been getting pretty rough driving over the Pennsylvania potholes. I crawled under there to look at my rear springs which feel like they're bottoming out and they're pretty Rusty. They have holes in the ends where a plastic spacer separates each leaf. Some of the spacers are missing and some are on their way out. The springs have a slight Arc to them and I was wondering if I could just have them cleaned up with new spacers between the leafs. Anyone have any comments? Thank you.
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
Silver Member

Sounds like a question for a professional suspension mechanic. Holes in the ends of rusty spring leaves doesn't convey a particularly positive picture. If you have a reputable shop near you, why don't you get them to put it on a lift and give you some professional advice? For comparison, I just took a couple of photos of the back end of one of the rear springs in my 2001 Dodge RT. Thankfully, my truck has been well rust-proofed by its previous owners. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0460.JPG (1.19 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0462.JPG (987.5 KB, 7 views)
rstl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:45 PM   #3
Silver Member

I plan on taking it in to a spring company and have them look at it. Thanks for the pictures that's what I meant by holes in the ends of my leaf springs as pictured in your photographs. That protruding grommet in the hole has a Teflon spacer on the other side, some of mine are missing. I'll see what they recommend either just replacing them and cleaning them up or additional leaf springs. Thanks again for the pics.
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote