Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2022, 08:09 PM   #1

Default 2001 Roadtrek 170

I'm having issues with the Shore Power it appears that the Monitor Control Panel won't work with Shore Power. Therefore if I don't use a battery I'm not able to check system levels or use the water pump. Does that have anything to do with the Converter?
But the Monitor Control works with the battery.
secondlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:14 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Is the battery disconnect switch on the monitor panel switched on the "on" position"?
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:21 PM   #3

The battery is not installed. I thought the monitor panel should work off shore power.
secondlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:30 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I believe that for your year of Roadtrek, the shore power (or the generator) only powers the 120 volt receptacles and sends a charge to the the 12 volt system. Everything else is part of the 12 volt system so you need a house battery to do anything but use 120 volt receptacles.

Also, are you driving the van without a house battery in there? That might not be a good idea. When I tried that in my RT, it caused problems with the vehicle electrical system. Why not just put a cheap 12 volt battery in there?
Old 05-20-2022, 02:20 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondlife View Post
The battery is not installed. I thought the monitor panel should work off shore power.
My van is also a 2001 (different make). I don't think the power centers/converters from that era will provide 12 volt house power without a house battery installed. I replaced that old dog with a new one and it's supposed work with or without a battery, though I haven't tried it. The newer ones also have electronic charge controllers, so are supposed to do a better job of charging as well. If yours is original equipment, you might want to replace it with a modern one.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:13 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I do not think that the charge controller is the issue. I upgraded mine in my 1999 RT 170 and it does a better job of charging the battery, but it does not change the wiring in such a way to let you take the battery out entirely.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:24 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
I do not think that the charge controller is the issue. I upgraded mine in my 1999 RT 170 and it does a better job of charging the battery, but it does not change the wiring in such a way to let you take the battery out entirely.
Here is a quote from the manual that came with my new WFCO power center:

"A battery DOES NOT have to be installed for Power Center converter operation."
Old 05-20-2022, 01:36 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Yes, as I said, it will still power the 120 volt receptacles and try to send a charge to the battery (just like the original controller would). But if you just remove the house battery on a Roadtrek of that year without changing the wiring at all then I believe you will have an open circuit in the 12 volt system and nothing 12 volt (including the monitor panel) will work at all.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:50 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
Yes, as I said, it will still power the 120 volt receptacles and try to send a charge to the battery (just like the original controller would). But if you just remove the house battery on a Roadtrek of that year without changing the wiring at all then I believe you will have an open circuit in the 12 volt system and nothing 12 volt (including the monitor panel) will work at all.

From the Wyco manual.

Before checking the WF-8900-AD Series Power Center output voltage, disconnect the battery
cables at the battery. Make sure the converter is plugged into an AC source (105-130 VAC).
Check the converter output voltage at the battery with a voltmeter. Place the meter probes on
the disconnected battery cables; place thePositive(red) meter probe on the+ Positivebattery
wire and place theNegative(black) meter probe on the- Negativewire on the battery cable.
Be sure you have good connections at the cables. If the voltage reads 13.6-14.6V, the converter
is functioning properly.

This would seem to indicate it is somewhat self regulating without a battery, but odd because those kind of units would be power supply type regulated to very tight voltage control so a call the Wyco might be a good idea.
A Progressive Dynamics unit without the charge wizard will control very tightly at 13.6v which is also listed as the base voltage for the Wyco, so maybe it just needs a bit of load to pull it down, but that is far from certain.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:35 PM   #10
Platinum Member

From the manufacturer's manual:

"Connect a red 8 AWG wire to the POS+ lug on the distribution center's fuse board. A battery IS NOT required for converter operation. A battery is only requited is you do a lot of dry camping."

This means the converter will do 3 things simultaneously:

Provide 12 volt DC power to the inhouse distribution panel.
Provide 120 volt AC power to the 120 volt outlets.
Recharge the house battery if there is one present.

Some of the older campers (mine included) warned against not having a battery installed. Reading the manufacturer's installation instructions, it sounds like this is no longer an issue.

BTW, the typical battery isolation switch does not cut power from the distribution panel to the inhouse circuits. It's only function is the preserve house battery power while the camper is not being used (in storage).
Old 05-20-2022, 04:46 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
From the manufacturer's manual:

"Connect a red 8 AWG wire to the POS+ lug on the distribution center's fuse board. A battery IS NOT required for converter operation. A battery is only requited is you do a lot of dry camping."

This means the converter will do 3 things simultaneously:

Provide 12 volt DC power to the inhouse distribution panel.
Provide 120 volt AC power to the 120 volt outlets.
Recharge the house battery if there is one present.

Some of the older campers (mine included) warned against not having a battery installed. Reading the manufacturer's installation instructions, it sounds like this is no longer an issue.

BTW, the typical battery isolation switch does not cut power from the distribution panel to the inhouse circuits. It's only function is the preserve house battery power while the camper is not being used (in storage).

I think it all depends on how those terms are defined by Wyco. A converter that is operational may only have the transfer switch operational, which is how our Magnum is for instance, when there is no battery. As I said, the Wyco appears to run and hold a range of voltage with no battery, but that is very unusual and why a call to them would be appropriate to make certain.

In the current world of inverter/chargers and chargers there are many, many more units that look for a battery in the system and won't start without one, than there are no battery "power supply" style units. I have had half a dozen different models from major manufacturers and they all would not start without a battery in the system.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote