Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2022, 11:44 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default 2001 Roadtrek Popular - what are these wood pieces for?

Just wondering what the four spring loaded wood pieces are for, located on the inside of the side walls of the sitting/sleeping area in the Roadtrek Popular. Here you see them flipped up to allow the cushions to be configured for a full bed in the back of the Popular, as opposed to the two length-wise twin bed configuration. If they are let to go down against the wall, there does not seem to be enough room to fit the cushions across the side to side space.

Anyway, I haven't seen any description of these 4 wood pieces so would appreciated being enlightened!

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0519.jpg (505.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 06-23-2022, 05:33 PM   #2
Gold Member

I’m curious too. I think it’s to stop the backrest from slumping behind the seat cushion. But if you don’t flip them up, it’s really hard to fit the middle cushions.
And if you do flip them up, they bother you while you’re sleeping.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:59 PM   #3

Yes they are support for back rest pieces.
Lanex005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:47 AM   #4
Silver Member

So if I understand, when the configuration is for seating (not sleeping), the four wood pieces are flipped up and put on top of the seating cushions, and the back rest pieces fit on top of them? I suppose that makes some sense, to keep the seat cushions in place. But as Anachron said, if you flip them down and arrange the cushions in a full bed configuration (as opposed to two longitudinal single beds) it's hard to fit the cushions all together horizontally.
Normally, I find that Roadtrek engineers thought out very well all aspects of this ingenious camper, but in this case I'm not so sure.
ANyway, if they really bother me I can always remove them, but want to make sure I'm not doing that before understanding their purpose, so Lanex's post is helpful.
Regards.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:45 PM   #5

I've always considered these pieces to be supports for the cushions when arranged to be backrests. They keep the cushions at a favorable angle when leaning back against them. Without these supports, the backrest would become vertical and pressed against the sidewall offering less comfortable seated support.
Goldspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:13 PM   #6
Gold Member

On my 02 CRT190P, wanted to remove the plywood on the driver side to do some electrical modifications. Someone mentioned that I needed to remove the side panels to get to hidden screws. These plywood pieces a I guessed were part of removing the panel, so I removed them with the intention to put them back. Not sure if they serve a suitable purpose for me as I do not intend to set up the dinette. Thanks for the discussion on the purpose of these flabbers
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote