Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default 2002 era Chevy Express Van fuel pump replacement

Has anyone ever replaced the chassis fuel pump in their Chev based Roadtrek from this era?
Were there any issues, like propane tanks, generators in the way that made it more difficult?
I may have to do mine, and am just wondering if anyone has any anecdotal experience with
them, either in an RV or just the commercial version of the vehicle.
It's a 100 litre tank, and it looks like the fuel sender and pump are replaced at the same time.
The area near the rear of the van has a humming, or buzzing noise, audible through the floor near
the fridge/water heater/water pump area, while none of those appliances are active.

Alternately, are there any additives or other home remedies that might help improve the problem?
(to the Sea Foam junkies, unfortunately, i can't get it in Canada last time i checked)
Old 05-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2002 era Chevy Express Van fuel pump replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Has anyone ever replaced the chassis fuel pump in their Chev based Roadtrek from this era?
Were there any issues, like propane tanks, generators in the way that made it more difficult?
I may have to do mine, and am just wondering if anyone has any anecdotal experience with
them, either in an RV or just the commercial version of the vehicle.
It's a 100 litre tank, and it looks like the fuel sender and pump are replaced at the same time.
The area near the rear of the van has a humming, or buzzing noise, audible through the floor near
the fridge/water heater/water pump area, while none of those appliances are active.

Alternately, are there any additives or other home remedies that might help improve the problem?
(to the Sea Foam junkies, unfortunately, i can't get it in Canada last time i checked)
I have heard of a few folks having trouble getting the right pump for them, as Roadtrek did not use the same pump that Chevy calls out. Campskunk on the Yahoo board is the one who comes to mind. You should be able to search over there.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks booster. I've already emailed him, and Roadtrek Service, too.
Odd thing is, the noise is gone. I fired her up this morning, put some engine load on it, and nothing.
Wonder if a clogged fuel filter or something else might interrupt flow, and mimic the symptomatic noise?
Fingers crossed. Also, I didn't know RT had substituted a different pump than OEM.
I'll hit the Yahoo Group site later tonight. Heading out to the Warplane Heritage Museum
in Hamilton, Ontario in a bit. We've got a Victoria Day long weekend up here today, so it's
a day off for most everybody in Canada.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Roadtrek got back to me, and said except for a couple of items underneath in the area of the
tank, there shouldn't be any unexpected complexities in removing it from GM's perspective.
They didn't reposition the tanks, just lengthened the filler pipe hoses. So, it's where it should
be, as far as the OEM is concerned.
Also campskunk got back to me, and said basically the same, it's user do-able if proper precautions
are taken, and he did mention the issue of getting the wrong parts from the internet vendors he
dealt with. It is a Delco (also OEM, I assume) part(s) according to him.

Thanks to all who responded, case closed.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Oh-Great another thing to go wrong under GMs planned obsolescence.
On our '02 R/T Chev.190V we have replace the fuel filter twice, spark plugs of course, air filter with a K&N and recently the intake Air Control Motor-($253.)? All this at or before 53k miles.
So now we can look forward to replacing the fuel pump!?...
GMC means Garage Mechanics Companion!!
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Hey Ric, not to worry, there's plenty of Chev chassis angst to go around.
Besides regular $$$ expenses like brakes and such, there's also electrical wiring shorts in the engine
compartment that trip a fault code of a fuel sensor problem, and most recently the dreaded Dexcool
intake manifold gasket leak problem. Luckily we caught that one in time (my better half noticed a
tiny stain/spot on our gravel driveway that turned out to be antifreeze) and I'm now running the
"green stuff" in it after replacing the gaskets and flushing the cooling system several times.

I haven't tested the Roadtrek under load since the sound first occurred, but I haven't heard it while
running it at idle in the driveway. Fingers crossed it was just a fluke and maybe a "self-correcting"
GMC fuel system problem. They do happen, so I'm told.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Yep, that's why our daily drivers are both from across the western sea (Honda with over 117k & never a glitch & Toyota pickup runs like a top - never a worry). Oh, but I must be a glutton for punishment, we also have a Jeep Wrangler (more money than sense).
To bad about the North American auto industry - I lost confidence way back in '89 with a Pontiac & another Jeep. Still trying to give them another chance, but still not convinced or won back by them. Some would argue that I'm just not buying the right product, but I know people who own Ford & Dodges. And they are not as happy as I am - especially with the Honda Accord - 4cyl, 5spd. R.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Furthermore, I'm almost ready to look at that Nissan van done by either PW or R/T. Has any one seen it yet?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I have all NA vehicles now, but have had 2 foreign models, too. They weren't top end models, and one
was actually assembled here in Ontario, but they weren't that much better or worse than any NA built
vehicle I've ever owned. I've always been wary of imports, for a number of reasons, but the biggest
single reason is hype. IMO, some foreign products are over-hyped to the point that I have to think,
why, and do I really need that much "stuff" on a car? If it starts when I turn the key, and and does the
basics, I'm usually satisfied. I can parallel park by myself, and I check my blind spot, and not back up
into things by myself, and I try not to drive when tired. A push button starter is just a key that turns differently, to me.
I guess you could argue that even NA built cars contain so many imported parts that the line between
domestic and import keeps getting fuzzier all the time. Many imports are built here, and the domestics
support thousands of foreign jobs.

I have seen the Roadtrek built on the Nissan truck/SUV chassis, at an RV show earlier this year, and
once on the 401 near Woodstock, ON. It's touted as a weekender or soccer mom RV. I would agree
with that evaluation, based on what I saw. It reminded me of a well equipped, self propelled "tent". Interesting concept, kind of like a big station wagon/small camper van combo.
All, IMO, of course.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Good perspective as usual. And it is your input & Humble Opinions on most discussions that we all value. Thanks...
Old 05-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
Platinum Member

What a nice way to not call me crazy.
I fang you very munch.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
Platinum Member

[quote="Mike"]What a nice way to not call me crazy.

Not so crazy! When you write I learn!

And, I'm sure I saw you a couple years ago in your R/T going south on Hwy 89 between Page & Flagstaff. We were in a black Mustang GT at warp speed so it was a blur. But I DID recognize a RoadTrek as we had just gotten ours that spring. Regards, Ric.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:13 AM   #13
Platinum Member

If it was any time after October 2008, it could have been us. In the mid-70s I had a '73 Mustang
convertible loaded, with a 351 Cleveland, 4 BBL, headers, chrome 5-spoke mags, the works.
Canary yellow with the black Mach 1 stripe kit, and a black ragtop. Awesome looking car.

We've driven that stretch between Page and Cameron many times, but haven't ever (no idea why)
done 89 all the way to Flagstaff. We always head west to the GCSR at Cameron, stay for a bit,
then head south through Tusayan (most expensive gas, and Egg McMuffins in AZ?) along 64/180
to I-40 near Williams where the GC trains start/stop. Then we either head over to Flagstaff for
a snoop, or west towards Kingman. Just depends on what we feel like at the time. We like the
Hoover Dam - I'm still thinking I'd like to see the new section of highway overlooking it. Saw it
all being built, and have some pics of it progressing over 2 trips there in the last couple of years.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:37 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Mike; Do I understand that you have not been to Prescott area? Shame! You really should see Our valley @ 5,000+/- ft; cool temps & clean air. Surrounding Mtns well over 6,000. Trees & lakes. Of course we have forest fires too. And Whiskey Row in Prescott also had a fire this spring - burned out 3 business & an historic saloon. First territorial Capital during 1860s. Lots of history & recreation. Also don't forget to go to Jerome (old mining town on side of a mountain) very interesting tourist attraction.
I've been across the new bridge @ Hoover Dam - not very impressive, a bit underwhelming when you cross over & can't see anything below.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Prescott is a place we've wanted to see for a while now. We've heard a lot about it from various
sources, and it sounds quite nice. We actually met a girl who was traveling with her Rottweiler
in a Pleasure Way at the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, UT back in October last year.
She said she was from the Prescott area, and we chatted about it, and our vans for a while.

I had a feeling the overpass was going to be a let down, or a pita, based on the fact that you'd
have to stop and get out of your car to see anything. I was talking to a welcome center guy at
Lake Mead who said "why didn't they just build a tourist lane, for people to stop and have a look?"
because he knew that most people would do that anyway, and it would cause problems. Is there
a safe place to stop and have a look?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I think there is a pull off spot at one end or other of the long bridge for a kodak moment.
We not being tourists - have never stopped (of course). And I WON't go to Nevada on a bet or arm twist unless my grandson is racing in S/W Utah!! When we head North I insist on Hwy 89 even though slower. But NO ca-sin-Nos! Boy are we Off topic now... Ric.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
Platinum Member

hmmmm, I'd say THAT was laced with a tiny bit of sarcasm. Very appropriate for a thread on
fuel pump replacement, in my humble opinion, considering what it costs to replace them.
I wish we could get a few things finished up here at home. Got too many irons in the fire to do
anything about traveling right now. I'd love to get out on the road again, but some things have
taken precedence.
West would be good, but I think we might head east, probably towards Gaspe again,
when we can. I like the northeast in the summer months, unless the road construction
is intense. Then it's not fun.
We'll save the western trip for the late summer. It's less crowded, and cooler in the places
we frequent.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #18
Platinum Member

You are perceptive. We have to go to oven of Phx today. 100++ f.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Safe trip. btw, I-17 south to Phx is not 5.7L V8 Roadtrek friendly in spots. We got caught behind
slower moving vehicles twice (my fault both times) on uphills that were steep, and we struggled to
get enough air through the rad to keep her cool. Even if we hadn't got stuck, it was hot enough that
it was a challenge to keep the FWT below 212 without the power shortage during climbs up those
grades.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I'm guessing that "FWT" is 'Fahrenheit water temp.' Correct? Ours always runs at 200 plus.
I don't think that's a problem & we always turn Off AC (as I think you stated once) on the uphill bits. The hill from Camp Verde to Hwy 169 turn-off (toward Prescott) is the worst, but only about 4-5 miles. Except for the other direction heading north out of Phhx from Black Canyon City - an AC killer & lots of mishaps with 18 whlers & flatland drivers.
It was 108/110 yesterday. We didn't stay long. 114 today. We are at 92 or so in Prescott area.