Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #21
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosey View Post
Ok...here's the strap. Hope it posts! Yeah...we've worried about if a big gust of wind extended the door too far and too quickly so we just try and keep it in mind.
Say thanks for posting your photos. So I can't picture what happens with the red strap when the door shuts? Does it hang down against the door jamb? Just wondering if it might get caught in the weather stripping. Thanks! (I've spent hours on this issue today...so frustrating)
Average_alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:07 PM   #22
Silver Member

Adding to this extremely helpful post after doing this project following a windy camping trip where the side door was flying open.
The Dorman product for Chevy Express vans is too short, and costs over $50. Chevrolet dealer was no help. I didn't try a RV repair or Roadtrek.
The previous poster's link to piano wire springs is now "not available" on Amazon.
I found a good replacement from McMaster Carr. Item #9271k704 (it's actually made by Jones Spring Co; the Jones part number is TMR-0560-063). Very cheap - $5.35 for a six pack excluding shipping. Link to McMaster page for torsion piano wire springs: https://www.mcmaster.com/piano-wire-torsion-springs/ AND they arrived in one day! The wire gauge was very, very close to our original broken spring...although who knows if it's truly original equipment after 20 years.
This is a project that may make you tear your hair out but I successfully removed one layer of the coils (to make it 4 like the original spring) and bent the spring with two sets of pliers working against each other until it worked. After trying a 180 degree overall angle it wouldn't reliably close the door catch as needed so I had to bend a tighter angle...approximately 120 degrees.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #23
Silver Member

Default photos

a few photos. It seems to be fixed now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-9627.jpg (151.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-9631.jpg (143.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-9630.jpg (228.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-28-2020, 11:56 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average_alice View Post
Adding to this extremely helpful post after doing this project following a windy camping trip where the side door was flying open.
The Dorman product for Chevy Express vans is too short, and costs over $50. Chevrolet dealer was no help. I didn't try a RV repair or Roadtrek.
The previous poster's link to piano wire springs is now "not available" on Amazon.
I found a good replacement from McMaster Carr. Item #9271k704 (it's actually made by Jones Spring Co; the Jones part number is TMR-0560-063). Very cheap - $5.35 for a six pack excluding shipping. Link to McMaster page for torsion piano wire springs: https://www.mcmaster.com/piano-wire-torsion-springs/ AND they arrived in one day! The wire gauge was very, very close to our original broken spring...although who knows if it's truly original equipment after 20 years.
This is a project that may make you tear your hair out but I successfully removed one layer of the coils (to make it 4 like the original spring) and bent the spring with two sets of pliers working against each other until it worked. After trying a 180 degree overall angle it wouldn't reliably close the door catch as needed so I had to bend a tighter angle...approximately 120 degrees.

[IMG][/IMG]
Awesome posts. As an owner of a 200 this and your other contibutions on this forum are really appreciated.

Skol.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average_alice View Post
a few photos. It seems to be fixed now.
As usual Alice, GREAT post, wonderful contribution to the forum....
PJW73NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #26
Silver Member

Default update

The new spring was sticking and not "springing" so I sprayed it with white lithium grease and right now it's functioning OK.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:35 PM   #27

Default My 2021 update

Thanks for the thread it saved me tons of research. I used the Amazon link above to get the part 3HPE7 (Torsion Spring 180 degree, wire dia 0.560) I also ordered 3HPE8 (Torsion Spring 180 degree, wire dia 0.767) This had a bigger diameter spring but much bigger and stiffer wire. It also came in pk of 6. I was able to bend it easily with small pliers and hand. Tried the smaller one and it worked but the bigger one worked a little better and I think it will last longer.
Pro Tip: When I took the pin out to get at the spring I had a hard time because it was rusty. When I put it back together, I chucked the pin in a drill and using a file removed the rust. Then I greased it up good before reassembly. Now I am thinking the Pin may have had more to do with the problem then the spring.
Best of Luck!
rjlarsyn is offline   Reply With Quote