Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2022, 09:12 AM   #1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,412
Default 2003 Chevy Express repaint

Peeling paint has to be addressed.

Anyone know of a shop in the Phoenix area?

It was mentioned a week or so ago but a search doesn’t bring it up.
__________________

hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:26 AM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: America's Seaplane City, FL
Posts: 929
Default

It's spendy. I've heard Maaco does a decent and thorough job for a decent price. Or... there is Mexico.
__________________

__________________
Tick tock, baby(Ironbuttal)
2000 Roadtrek Chevy 200 Versatile(sold)
'98 Safari Trek 2480
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:35 AM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
It's spendy. I've heard Maaco does a decent and thorough job for a decent price. Or... there is Mexico.
Thanks, I signed up for Maaco. $7k is more than I wanted to pay. They have to strip the peeling panels. I have to do something or it turns to rust and I’m not in the mood to start over with another vehicle. Graphics will be gone and I kinda liked them.

I have to remove the awning, vent cover and solar panel. There is some rear bumper and quarter panel repair from a blown tire.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:53 AM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: PHX, AZ
Posts: 2,508
Default

I'm in same boat


I'm going to try a shop on Cave Creek rd near me for a quote-





regarding MAACO


funny story, I had a car in for paint and they did an ok, not great job.


a month later I got a red light camera ticket from Mesa showing shop guy with his friends running a red on a friday night


Maaco " nothing to do with us"


mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:06 AM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Maaco " nothing to do with us"
Funny. At least they didn’t wreck it.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:25 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: LA
Posts: 1,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Thanks, I signed up for Maaco. $7k is more than I wanted to pay. They have to strip the peeling panels. I have to do something or it turns to rust and I’m not in the mood to start over with another vehicle. Graphics will be gone and I kinda liked them.

I have to remove the awning, vent cover and solar panel. There is some rear bumper and quarter panel repair from a blown tire.
"They have to strip the peeling panels."

I thought that the entire van had to taken down to metal, Remove the Primer.

Your circumstances are different?, or part of the van for $7K?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:51 PM   #7
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 11,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"They have to strip the peeling panels."

I thought that the entire van had to taken down to metal, Remove the Primer.

Your circumstances are different?, or part of the van for $7K?

Bud

They may or may not do it all to metal, which may or may not be the best results too. The horizontal, on the pointed up surfaces failure doesn't answer the question of what causes the failures, which were pretty common back then, especially with whites. The fact that it is color related would probably make it lean less to the surface prep and more to a topcoat issue with bonding. Sun related maybe which would mean the sides might also fail later, or not. Very possible there might not be any primer as such, just a chemical dip bonding conversion layer on the surface.


If they have to strip the entire van, it might double the price even. I have completely stripped cars and it is not pretty or fun to do. When I just painted my 96 Buick wagon, I did not strip any of it as it was still bonded well, which was a bit surprising as it is a 1996 GM product in white that lived in the sunny weather for many years. If it had needed stripping, I probably would not have done it at all.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:28 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"They have to strip the peeling panels."

I thought that the entire van had to taken down to metal, Remove the Primer.

Your circumstances are different?, or part of the van for $7K?

Bud
My thoughts, too. I argued a bit but they wouldn’t strip a non peeling panel. So be it. Bend over and back on in. If I have to do it over, later, so be it.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:09 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: LA
Posts: 1,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
My thoughts, too. I argued a bit but they wouldn’t strip a non peeling panel. So be it. Bend over and back on in. If I have to do it over, later, so be it.
Thanks for the response, and I'm wishing you the best.

Maybe 7 years ago, I met with Mohammad Ali and obtained a quote for my Express Van. I should have gone with it, but did not - Darn It.

It was for one side (not top) and hood. Since then all would still be ok, but now there seems to be some writing on the wall. The other wall of the van, but no need for a rattle can - yet.

I have an 04 model year, and it has been a Good van (125K miles) - pleased except for....
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:47 PM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,412
Default

I found the major problem was a paint booth that could handle a high top van. Out of three Maaco outlets around here only one could. Most other car painters could not and I didn’t want to go anywhere near something that had RV in the name.

Mexico is a viable option around here, I just didn’t want the hassle though there are good reports.

The bid specified 19 days to do the job.

Maaco did a very good job on the hood 6 years ago. Anybody around here old enough to remember Earl Scheib paint jobs for $29.95, heh, heh.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:27 PM   #11
Bud
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: LA
Posts: 1,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
I found the major problem was a paint booth that could handle a high top van. Out of three Maaco outlets around here only one could. Most other car painters could not and I didn’t want to go anywhere near something that had RV in the name.

Mexico is a viable option around here, I just didn’t want the hassle though there are good reports.

The bid specified 19 days to do the job.

Maaco did a very good job on the hood 6 years ago. Anybody around here old enough to remember Earl Scheib paint jobs for $29.95, heh, heh.
I'm guessing there are plenty of us. Kind of nostalgia like for me, thanks.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:37 PM   #12
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,618
Default

I have similar paint issues;

On the Rear Door

Above the Rear Driver's Side crease where the roof meets the top of the rig's metal

On the Front Driver's side panel but I work in & around LA, especially the high income areas & its best to leave one's vehicle looking unattractive from the outside.

The peeling makes Theft look less desirable
__________________
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:37 PM   #13
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: PHX, AZ
Posts: 2,508
Default

Harry,


Wondering how you made out with your van ?


My quote at Revive, Dunlap & Cave Creek is $3500


this is strip and paint:


hood


Right rear door


strip, feather and blend on both sides at the top ( about 3.5") strip


then paint with same white


there are about a dozen small areas, 25¢ sized, to be touched up as well.


I have some automotive experience, it appears that the shop was using Mitchell Manual to generate the quote.
Mitchell assign different time values for various jobs rather than "real time" the idea being that an efficient shop can do a "1 hour job" in 40 minutes, where a less skilled shop will loose out




Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:46 AM   #14
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Harry,


Wondering how you made out with your van ?

My quote at Revive, Dunlap & Cave Creek is $3500

this is strip and paint:

hood

Right rear door

strip, feather and blend on both sides at the top ( about 3.5") strip

then paint with same white

there are about a dozen small areas, 25¢ sized, to be touched up as well.

I have some automotive experience, it appears that the shop was using Mitchell Manual to generate the quote.
Mitchell assign different time values for various jobs rather than "real time" the idea being that an efficient shop can do a "1 hour job" in 40 minutes, where a less skilled shop will loose out

Mike
Not started yet. All doors, fenders, and one side so I guess I shouldn’t bitch too much. Complete repaint but not everything stripped.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:10 PM   #15
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: PHX, AZ
Posts: 2,508
Default

Taking the van in on Monday to Revive



quotes from other shops were not as clear as to what work would be done and how
( cave creek road is lined with auto shops for a 2 mile stretch)



in a couple of weeks I will hopefully post a positive response


mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 02:57 AM   #16
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,412
Default

Mine goes in March 10 due to a schedule misunderstanding on my part.

Solar panel, antennas, and antenna cables removed, previous holes closed with caulk reopened and closed with fiberglass reinforced Bondo.

They aren’t going to be too happy when they see the deteriorated fiberglass roof surface after 19 years, most in the Arizona sun. Gelcoat has many cracks.

Will let you know how it goes with a picture if it deserves it.

Chose to not remove the awning as it is riveted on. They will have to paint around it.

Trim striping will not be replaced.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:17 PM   #17
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 459
Default

May be too far away, but I am having my 08C210P painted in Tucson as we speak. It is going to be done in about a week and a half. Cost $4,900 Repaint in original colors (Silver and Charcoal bottom) with 2 part clearcoat. I will post when I get it back... maybe with pictures.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:37 PM   #18
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
May be too far away, but I am having my 08C210P painted in Tucson as we speak. It is going to be done in about a week and a half. Cost $4,900 Repaint in original colors (Silver and Charcoal bottom) with 2 part clearcoat. I will post when I get it back... maybe with pictures.
Better deal than I’m getting. Mine has to be stripped which probably makes a difference.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:48 AM   #19
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: PHX, AZ
Posts: 2,508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
May be too far away, but I am having my 08C210P painted in Tucson as we speak. It is going to be done in about a week and a half. Cost $4,900 Repaint in original colors (Silver and Charcoal bottom) with 2 part clearcoat. I will post when I get it back... maybe with pictures.

let's hope all 3 of us are satisfied !


mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:02 AM   #20
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
let's hope all 3 of us are satisfied !
We will be tapped out. They want mine for 19 days.

Next up will be a transmission overhaul in a few years. That will be a problem unless they can drop it without removing the crossbar.

144k miles right now. Will do it at 200k miles if it makes it.
__________________

hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×