Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 03:57 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 2003 Roadtrek 200 Pop Replacing Air Conditioner

Spring project coming up. Replacing the AC in my RT.

Before I take the old one out (which MANY have said is a pain in the A$$), I want to have the new on on hand.

I need to have the dimensions of the old one in order to get a new one.

The problem is I can't find a model number anywhere on the unit. It is a Fedders. The AC owners manual says nothing and it is for about 4 different models (based on stick drawings of each one). No numbers.

I'd be grateful if anyone has the model number, or even better, the dimensions of the unit.

I'll post a couple of pictures to see if that helps.

I'm open to any tips, tricks, suggestions or alternatives.

Thanks.

Sorry about the rotation of the second pic. I tried several times to get it correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3736 (1).JPG (29.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3737 (1).JPG (14.3 KB, 21 views)
PJW73NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
Platinum Member

The build sheet for my 2004 RT 200 Popular is a Fedders A2Q10F2C-A

The measurements are listed in the enclosed pdf file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fed_specs.pdf (35.8 KB, 37 views)
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks K1hog, That is just what I was looking for.

Now I can start shopping for a replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fedders AC specs.jpg (59.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-18-2020, 02:54 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Glad to help.
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1hog View Post
Glad to help.
Helpful people like you are why I love this forum!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:02 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Well !!! Now that I've got the dimensions of my existing AC unit, a cursory (internet) shopping trip reveals that there are NO 10k Btu units that are small enough to replace my current one. The main restriction is the height. 12.5" Several folks had recommended not go lower than 10k. I found a couple of 8K and a few 5K and 6K units that "should" fit.

I'm doing the math and I figure that the entire interior of my 03 200 Pop (yeah, it is a wide body) can't be more than 16x6=96 sf. Let's call it 100 for round numbers.

Most formulas I've seen are for 20 Btu per/sf. Add 10% for sunny location. Add 600 for each human. and another 8K Btu for good measure. 30 Btu x 100 = 3000, add 1200 for 2 humans =4200. Even with extreme temperatures, I still have headroom with either a 5k, 6k or 8k unit.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:03 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJW73NH View Post
Well !!! Now that I've got the dimensions of my existing AC unit, a cursory (internet) shopping trip reveals that there are NO 10k Btu units that are small enough to replace my current one. The main restriction is the height. 12.5" Several folks had recommended not go lower than 10k. I found a couple of 8K and a few 5K and 6K units that "should" fit.

I'm doing the math and I figure that the entire interior of my 03 200 Pop (yeah, it is a wide body) can't be more than 16x6=96 sf. Let's call it 100 for round numbers.

Most formulas I've seen are for 20 Btu per/sf. Add 10% for sunny location. Add 600 for each human. and another 8K Btu for good measure. 30 Btu x 100 = 3000, add 1200 for 2 humans =4200. Even with extreme temperatures, I still have headroom with either a 5k, 6k or 8k unit.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Get the 8k unit. Lots of heat gain.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:12 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Get the 8k unit. Lots of heat gain.
I agree, get as big as you can. I wouldn't give up on a 10K btu yet.

My Airstream "b" is the equvalent of a Roadtrek 190P (not wide-body). When my 13.5K btu rv roof ac went out, the company I ordered from sent me a 15K btu unit by mistake. They offered a return, but after advice on this forum I decided to keep it. My main decision factors were: 1) it was only 11% larger; 2) the original unit did not feel oversized; 3) being a newer unit, it was more efficient and used 1-2 amps less than the smaller unit it replaced; 4) forum members reminded me that the dash ac (which couldn't adequately cool all the way to the rear when driving on hot days) was somewhere in the 20K+ btu range.

Bottom line, the new unit which is the largest size I've seen and all that many larger class "c's" use, doesn't feel oversized. It cycles normally and does the job of de-humidifying. Doesn't seem right, but it works, showing that while you can have too much ac in your house, the opposite is not true in an rv. At least by my experience.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:31 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Rowie, Tnx for the reply. I've been looking all day (internet). Can't find anything bigger than 8k. I've read a few older comments in various places, but they refer to older AC units that are no longer made.

I'll continue looking until I start the project. I was hoping that someone here or in the other forums had done theirs RECENTLY and had a good, solid lead on a 10K or bigger.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:50 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJW73NH View Post
Rowie, Tnx for the reply. I've been looking all day (internet). Can't find anything bigger than 8k. I've read a few older comments in various places, but they refer to older AC units that are no longer made.

I'll continue looking until I start the project. I was hoping that someone here or in the other forums had done theirs RECENTLY and had a good, solid lead on a 10K or bigger.
I thought for sure you had not considered a 10.5K btu Dometic Cool Cat, most likely due to price. I thought for sure it would fit since it was the model used in many late Roadtreks with the rear ac.

But I looked on their website and the height is 14.5" (2" too tall).
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...specifications
Old 03-20-2020, 12:50 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Rowie, Thanks for the suggestion. I DID see that one, and yes, price would be a consideration, but as you said the height didn't work. When I dug into the installation manual, I only needed 14" INSIDE for the grill, and 15.5 behind the grill (which the RT has room for). Still a no go though..
Old 03-20-2020, 01:07 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I think the CoolCats have been discontinued except for the no case types, from what we have heard. There will be lots of folks looking for replacements for them, also, as they used a bunch of the them in fiberglass roof vans.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #13
Gold Member

Do not go by the "big as you can" purchasing. With air conditioning if you go too big you wind up cooling the vehicle/house or whatever you put it in too quickly and it does not remove the humidity. This leaves you with a cold clammy feeling. Especially in small motorhomes where your body and breath put out alot of humidity. An air conditioner is not the always go big solution it must be sized properly. ,
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #14

Default 12K Fridgidare im 2002 190P

Hi, My Coolkat crapped out years ago, I put a 12K Fridgidaire bought from Lowes (Lowes Canada) has remote, I had to shoehorn it in. See attached pic

Brian
Mississauga, ON, CAN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oaktrek 12K AC.jpg (110.1 KB, 35 views)
girardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #15

Default Few more Pics of A/C replacement

Almost looks factory..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RT AC Pic 4.jpg (205.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg RT AC Pic 3.jpg (124.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg RT AC Pic 2.jpg (93.5 KB, 28 views)
girardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:35 PM   #16
Silver Member

I put a Frigidaire 10k unit in my 200. It was a bit taller but the roof panel cover is flexible enough and newer sealants ensure good waterproofing. also had to modify the rear cover. I did it by myself and say "this is a 2 man job". also I had to drill a bigger hole to pass the new style electric plug through.
Scottie409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girardb View Post
Almost looks factory..
Great pics.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #18
otr
Gold Member

Default AC replacement on 2000 RT 190V

I replaced the AC on my RT last summer. I went online and searched by dimension, the height was most challenging and also I used a lower BTU than the original based upon personal experience with window unit in a small room.
I ended up with a Frigidaire model FFRE0533U1.
I removed the original by removing decorative panels and as needed cabinet doors. Used a sharpened putty knife to cut thru the sealant around the old AC and then had a friend help and just pushed the unit out. Easier than expected.

The new unit is smaller than the original, one goal so that future replacement will not be so difficult and I installed it with wooden shims which I screwed in where to old screws were. Sealing was with sleeping pad type foam.

The outside rear roof louvers were not replaced as the rubber gaskets were hardened, so I purchased marine supply cubby doors, two fit across with a piece of pvc between. This will keep the AC compartment cleaner and it's easy to open them when you need the AC, closed when driving! Search Access Hatch, a great source is grestlakesskipper.com
Good luck!
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:04 AM   #19
Silver Member

Default I just finished this project today!

Feels great to have it done...what an undertaking! I have a year 2000 RT 200 Versatile. I found it to be incredibly helpful to pull the old one first and then look for a new unit because then you can get the precise opening dimensions. I also couldn't find a 10K BTU unit, although exercising a lot of wishful thinking I ordered a LG LW1019IVSM (9500 BTU) before removing my old unit, and it turned out to be too long in the roof cavity and to stick out too far into the interior of the RV. (But what a nice unit...very quiet!) So I ended up with the 8K Frigidaire FFRA0811U1 which did fit - just barely - in the height of the fiberglass opening. There's also the LG 8016ER, mentioned by others previously on this forum. That one would have fit also but would have stuck out into the cabin further and LG customer service isn't my favorite experience. I can tell you the tight-fit height of the opening in my RT fiberglass cavity (the opening through which the face plate must fit) was 12 1/4 inches tall X 20.25" wide. The reason this doesn't match up with the overall height of the unit is that the front of the unit is elevated by a small foot, and the fiberglass opening has a small raised lip above the floor which provides the main waterproofing IMO. My old Fedders dimensions including the faceplate were 12 5/8" overall height, 20" wide, 20.625" long. The Frigidaire that I installed was listed at a height of 12.75" but was actually 12 5/8" after removing an installation bar on top of the unit (screws, or it slides out). I had to add a home-made aluminum flange on the sides of the Frigidaire because it was narrower than the Fedders, plus added a little wood trim on the inside to cover the flange. Used quite a bit of VHB tape 4950 which seems to be working well for holding L-brackets where needed (follow cleaning & prep instructions). Silco 4500 black RTV silicone is great and did fuse with the old silicone after cleaning it carefully with alcohol. I also had to re-route the unit's power cord, cut the end off and install a new male plug which is working fine. Next time the A/C breaks now I know how to replace it.
Average_alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:02 PM   #20
otr
Gold Member

Default feels great to have it done

Yes it does, like many projects, the anticipatory anxiety is larger than the challenge!
otr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioner, conditioner, fedders