Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 11:58 PM   #1

Default 2004 Roadtrek 170 Onan Generator install

Consider this like a request for directions from a traveler with a couple of hundred maps and not sure if they're up to date or from the 50s and those roads don't exist any more.

Knowing that questions asked and answered are irritating to some, I've been scouring this forum (and others) for information and pictures showing the location of items I need to proceed with the Onan generator in the 2004 Roadtrek 170.

Last of the snow left the driveway today and came in late October so everything has been on hold.

I've looked at a lot of pictures, read a lot of threads, but haven't found specific information to my vehicle and application.

Here's the update from last years for those who provided help last year if your curious.
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...ghlight=BTFLCF

Here's where things stand. I opted to use the Onan generator I had. I located and bought the Onan installation brackets new (less than buying a used set). Unfortunately, It looks like some welding will be necessary since the frame cross member appears to be a factor in using the bracket. So it won't be a simple bolt on as I'd hoped.

I located the generator end plug for remote control located strapped to the frame. I need to order an adapter to my older style generator plug. Onan Part No. 338-3513. The gas line is there. I've identified that I have a Lyght transfer switch. I have not found (nor do I know where to look) for the wires for hot ,neutral and ground that connect to those on the generator. So here's the questions.

1. Are there wires in the cabin behind cloth covered area that is cut out for the remote start switch? I pulled the porch light switch and saw a lot wired but because I don't know if those go to the monitor panel of there are extra already to connect to the generator switch. Didn't want to cut through the fabricate just to inspect. Since the cutout is there I'm assuming they prewired fir the switch. Anyone actually do a similar retrofit?

2. Where does the positive cable from the generator connect? Is there a junction box underneath or do I need to fish the generator leads into the cabin?, Do I need to run directly to the chassis battery or the coach battery for the positive lead for starting.?

When I say "where do I?", I really mean is what do I tell whoever I find willing to do the work, since traditional sources for the work such as RV dealers aren't interested or willing to do the job. So I need to be prepared to be the brains and job out the brawn.

Thanks for pictures or light you my shed on this.
BTFLCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:56 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCF View Post
2. Where does the positive cable from the generator connect? Is there a junction box underneath or do I need to fish the generator leads into the cabin?, Do I need to run directly to the chassis battery or the coach battery for the positive lead for starting.?
I'll just respond to what I know. The positive cable is connected to a similar gauge cable by a brass bolt, nut, washer and lock washer, which must be manufactured. The join is protected by a rubber boot and the other end goes to the positive post of the battery. No fuse in between so be careful.

The ground lead bolts to the vehicle frame.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:49 PM   #3

That's every helpful. I appreciate your help.

Bruce
BTFLCF is offline   Reply With Quote