Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2016, 04:14 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 2004 Roadtrek 190 w/ 12,000 miles

It's a beauty. On Ebay and nice and shiny.

Low miles, either 2 or 29 hrs on generator...lol.

One owner, clean carfax...

My question, what am I getting myself into if I am the winning bid? I am just afraid I will make a huge mistake and what I thought would be my dream camper will be the beginning of a costly nightmare.

I do not tinker. I don't have an ongoing relationship with a good mechanic. I don't want to spend my retirement money on a new model rv or on replacing every moving part in an older one.

What should I look out for and what should I be prepared to replace?

Many thanks for your patience.

Happy trails,

d.
debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
Platinum Member

It shows 2.9 hours on the generator, which basically mean it has been unused and likely will need work like a carburetor and slip ring polishing. It is in New Jersey, so if that is where it is from and was ever stored outside you should be aware of underside rust (it does say garage kept). It would have come with one or two wet cells originally, and batteries are always a potential for being bad in used RVs. It says serviced every 3K miles, which is good, except that would be only 4 time in it's 12K life or once every 3 years which is pretty long between.

It does look nice, clean and in great shape from the pix. You should probably contact the dealer and try to get a written statement that is if you win the bidding, it would be contingent on an independent inspection of your choosing. I think that is the dealer that sold a vehicle out from under an acquaintance after the dealer had verbally accepted an offer from him, so as with any dealer, you have to be careful.

Good luck in you adventure, it is a nice looking unit.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me much needed and appreciated advice. I am going to send the seller a note now. Best regards, deb
Old 05-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If you buy an RV, new or used, you will be a "tinkerer." Accept it, buy some tools as you need them, and use these forums for help till you get a support system.

The RV in question (Versatile I think) has four seats, no wardrobe, and sleeps crosswise across the back. Not sure what the upper limit for height is but 6' is too tall. That age was first sold with an analog TV. Has the conversion to HD digital been made?

New RVs take a lot of tinkering, too, just of a different kind and they have a warranty which may not be worth dealing with.

After purchase, whatever you get, there will be a lot of issues but if the running gear is mechanically sound you can handle the rest.

Demand that the generator be working and putting out the proper voltage.
Harry 2003 C190P Roadtrek

The popular model sleeps lengthwise and has 3 seats.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I just figured I would bring this back up. The no reserve auction ended at over $41K and it is shown as sold and completed, but the dealer has just put the Roadtrek back up on another no reserve auction.

Buyer may have backed out, or maybe the dealer is pulling something, which is possible based on what went on with another of his Roadtrek auctions. Maybe it didn't pass an inspection.

It had a lot of bids, and now they all get to go through it all again.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Lol, 41K was not enough? Way too much money for this model. Low miles is not a "selling point" for this old a van - it's a red flag, if anything.

Generator service, tires, batteries, hoses, belts will all need replaced at a minimum. Also a good look a the roof and all silicone and dicor is in order. Also check all the vinyl graphics for cracking and peeling. I'd also look hard at the LP system, as tanks usually need to be recertified at 12 years old.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:06 AM   #7
Bronze Member

I contacted the seller and asked why the deal didn't go thru. He indicated that the buyer had made a mistake.

In so many words I asked the seller if he would feel comfortable selling this unit to an elderly single woman who would not be up to the task of having to completely go thru and replace hoses, belts and generator. He assured me that this rv was as close to perfect as he has seen.

He does have alot of positive feedback. I want to believe him. Mostly I want to believe him because spending 40 thousand on an rv is less stressful and more fun then spending 140,000. I'm getting to the age where that extra 100,000 grand should be in reserve.

I enjoy hearing your thoughts. The feedback is much appreciated. Do you think 35,000 is a fair price for that year and model? What are some of the idiosyncrasies of that particular design.

Peace Out friends. Hope with due diligence on my part and a little help from my friends We can meet somewhere along the trail and enjoy a cup of coffee.

Best regards,

deb
Old 05-24-2016, 03:25 AM   #8
Platinum Member

My bet is that the no reserve sale was not a no reserve sale. He had a friend or another email address bid when the price wasn't high enough. We have had reasonable luck with a 2003 with 44,000 miles. It now has 100,000 miles and still going.

Chevy wise we needed a new radiator and water pump, and sway bar bushings, We put new front wheel bearings in at 93,000. If I wanted it I would probably pay $35k but as we saw, he won't sell it for that.

I don't know of any inherent problems with the 2004 model year. The paint may peal as it has on our 2003 due to EPA required changes in paint.
Harry 2003 C190P
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #9
Platinum Member

It's a premium price for a 12 year old RT 190 IMO. The low mileage is attractive but the appliances etc are still 12 years old. Find out if it has new tires if not they'd be overdue to be replaced just because of calendar age.

NADA says: 2004 Roadtrek Popular-190 (Chevrolet) Prices and Used Values | NADAguides

I had an '04 RT 190P. It came with an inverter but it was only wired to run the TV or other low power items. The inverter did not have a remote switch in mine. It did not come with a macerator pump to make dumping waste easier. The dump hose connection is very low - you should try that to see if you can do it. The battery tray slide can seize from corrosion if not maintained. The bed/seating cushions were very firm; too firm for us so we had to add foam. The spare tire was very heavy to lift.

That TV might be analog not digital.

It wasn't a fully optioned unit looking at the photos; no leather, partial ground effects ...

The aisle shower and across the unit sleeping might affect interest when it comes time for you to sell it.

Check RT Chapter listings for Roadtreks for sale: Roadtreks for Sale - Road Trek International
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default 2004 RT 190 w/12000 miles

This low mileage, low generator hours, high cost for a '04, tells my mind to get away and find another, or a Dealer. I sold my '05 190P, with 56K miles and a couple hundred hours on the generator - and it was in great mechanical & body shape...for less than this one is going for. I believe if I wasn't a tinker, didn't have a go-to person for my repairs, I would really try a couple of dealers. You can go on line and see what they have, do all your research, calls, photos, and I personally would feel better this way than a Trek out of Jersey that had red flags. Hope these rambling help...my little voice says this is not a good deal six months out. Good luck, Ron
Old 05-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Ok, ok....I'm over it. Thanks all for your solid advice. Continuing my search....I'll be back! ��
Old 05-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #12
Platinum Member

You can always make an offer for what you think any RV is worth. It is easier with a dealer. Your offer might not be accepted but if the unit does not sell you can make another offer in the future.

Some time ago I was interested in a used Class C advertised at $69K (way too high). It wasn't selling because it needed some work and had an unusual layout. My offer of $50K was not accepted. Several months (after winter iirc) later it was still for sale. My second offer of $40K was accepted.

It's an unusual story. I was probably the only person interested in the unit. I didn't own it for long (couple years?) and managed to sell it for $35K so thank goodness that $50K first offer was rejected!

Having lots of patience and the ability to act quickly on the right unit really helps.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Thanks again. This has been an interesting, somewhat frustrating pursuit. It'll make for some good stories. You've been a big help. Best regards, deb
Old 05-25-2016, 11:51 PM   #14
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
The RV in question (Versatile I think) has four seats, no wardrobe, and sleeps crosswise across the back. Not sure what the upper limit for height is but 6' is too tall.
I'm 6'1" and sleep crosswise in the bed of our 1995 190 Chevy Versatile. Not sure if the Express bodies are any narrower.
fwdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Arghh....!

36,600 with 7 hrs left to go 😯
Old 05-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra View Post
Arghh....!

36,600 with 7 hrs left to go 😯
If he is using friends to run up the bid, expect them to start in with only a couple of hours to go. As was mentioned by someone else, that is probably what happened on the first auction.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:30 AM   #17
Platinum Member

It went to $37,600 this time. The winning bidder is listed as having 87% of his bids with this seller, across several products. Sounds pretty fishy.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:55 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Wow, somehow I know now why I have avoided E-Bay and Craig's List.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:48 AM   #19
Bronze Member

dealer to dealer maybe....?

the search continues. I'm not sad I didn't bid on this tho. Sure thank you for insight into the process.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:40 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Well, our favorite dealer has again listed the same van in now the third no reserve auction.

roadtrek | eBay

He has to be using shills to both run up the bid to where he wants it, and probably also to bid to win the no reserve auction if the bidding isn't high enough. Certainly not what I would call ethical or fair.

He should just put a reserve on it like all the honest dealers, and be upfront with his customers, please.