Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2020, 05:02 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leva56 View Post
Hey thanks Skol,I like the champions because of the remote start. I am going to do some further checking with some small engine mechanics to see what they have to say. If anyone has an opinion on this please let me know.

The pressure from a gravity tank at the carb is really, really, low in the range of maybe 1/8-1/4 psi. The carbs are probably set up not much above that. You probably would need a different carburetor to handle even 1.5 psi consistently, and the hazards of the carb not shutting off the fuel with needle and seat are really quite large. The last thing you want is to pump out 20 gallons of gas onto the ground. IIRC, there are also some pretty tight rules on anything that is related to fuel transfer for hoses, deadman valves, maximum flow shutoffs or limiters. I don't ever recall seeing a conversion for one that I can remember.

You can get remote kits to convert to propane, though, which is usually on the low pressure side, I think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:55 PM   #22
Silver Member

These Champions do come duel fuel so that would not be a problem, I wasn't thinking of propane but that would be a real possibility.
Thanks
leva56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The pressure from a gravity tank at the carb is really, really, low in the range of maybe 1/8-1/4 psi. The carbs are probably set up not much above that. You probably would need a different carburetor to handle even 1.5 psi consistently, and the hazards of the carb not shutting off the fuel with needle and seat are really quite large. The last thing you want is to pump out 20 gallons of gas onto the ground. IIRC, there are also some pretty tight rules on anything that is related to fuel transfer for hoses, deadman valves, maximum flow shutoffs or limiters. I don't ever recall seeing a conversion for one that I can remember.

You can get remote kits to convert to propane, though, which is usually on the low pressure side, I think.
I would tend to agree on the float needle overflow issue, hence the verification of float levels with the clear tube on the drain.

I would think it also would be prudent to have a way of automatically shutting off the fuel pump when the genny is shut down.

As far as I now, this is all uncharted territory. Partly why I've stayed with a manual fill from the former Onan electric fuel pump with a gas line attached to it. Doing it this way I don't have to mess with carrying a gas can around. I have the electric pump plugged into the tail light circuit on the trailer connector. I simply plug into the 4 way connector on the RT with another
trailer plug wired to the pump. There is an annoying buzzer that fires off when the parking lights turn on with the ignition off to remind me to shut it off. This system has worked well for me.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #24
Platinum Member

If you can make it to Daytona Beach, Florida I have a brand new set of rear seats from a 2007 RT 210 Versatile, also have an extra set of the dining tables with support poles, and a brand new cabinet that mounts behind the drivers seat.

I obtained these with my purchase of our 2007 RT 210 Versatile last year. The elderly couple we purchased it from had it garage kept and had it maintained properly and kept records which recieved with the purchase. Had 27000 miles on the RT and 97 hours on the generator.
Illness was the reason they sold it.

Bob
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote