Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2019, 01:21 AM   #1

Default 2006 Chevy Roadtrek Versatile

I'm looking at a 2006 Chevy Roadtrek Versatile. The owner says it does not have a generator but it does have three-way power, as well as all the appliances, such as the microwave and fridge, that I figured would run off a generator. Did Roadtrek produce some models without the generator?
Also, it doesn't have either of the captains' seats behind the front and passenger seats. How available are those seats? We'd love to swap the cabinets for the seats.
ChristianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianKnight View Post
I'm looking at a 2006 Chevy Roadtrek Versatile. The owner says it does not have a generator but it does have three-way power, as well as all the appliances, such as the microwave and fridge, that I figured would run off a generator. Did Roadtrek produce some models without the generator?
Also, it doesn't have either of the captains' seats behind the front and passenger seats. How available are those seats? We'd love to swap the cabinets for the seats.

In 2006 you would have one or two 12v batteries, so if you did not have shore power, that is all the power you would have when not driving. The frig is gas when stationery if set that way, so minimal use, the batteries would be needed to run the detectors, lights, tv, etc. It would probably also have a 700 watt modified sine wave inverter that would run small load AC stuff, but not the microwave or anything big, and will quickly drain the batteries.

You would need to evaluate how you would use the RV to determine if this setup would work for you in your camping style. How often you have shore power, how often you need air conditioning, how often you drive, etc all make a big difference. Some can get by easily on that systems, and others would not be able to at all, so the full range.

There are lots of discussions of power use calculations, generators, big battery banks, etc on this forum and you may want to start looking at some of them.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:09 PM   #3

I’m very interested in this 2006 Chevy Roadtrek but the missing captains’ seats and the lack of a generator have given me pause. What’s the advantage/disadvantage of the 2006’s power system and should it—combined with the missing seats—discourage me from making this purchase? Your advice is so helpful. Thank you.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
I’m very interested in this 2006 Chevy Roadtrek but the missing captains’ seats and the lack of a generator have given me pause. What’s the advantage/disadvantage of the 2006’s power system and should it—combined with the missing seats—discourage me from making this purchase? Your advice is so helpful. Thank you.

A 2006 Roadtrek 190 is going to have a very basic, semi old-school, power system.

There should be one or two gp27 wet cells, a 45 amp/700 watt modified sine wave Tripplite inverter charger, and likely 50 amps maximum alternator charging through an isolator.

Without a generator or solar, these systems will be limited in off grid time. Probably 1-2 days if one battery and 2-3 day with two batteries, assuming careful power use. It would have all incandescent or halogen lighting from the factory which is pretty inefficient.

Without being on shore power for 120v power and air conditioning will be out of the question unless you idle the motor of the van and use the van dash AC. Likewise with the microwave or any other high wattage device.

That all said, there are lots of campers that do fine with that setup as their camping style fits the system. Others would not be able to live with it for various reasons like needing AC in hot weather, microwave use, CPAP machines, long periods off grid, etc.

You probably should make a list of how you would visualize using your potential van so we all can get a look at it and try to give a guess as to how much system you need to achieve it.

The no generator thing is probably the biggest question as the lower the battery and recharge capacity the more most folks need a generator. Of course, if you are OK with it, a portable Honda will also work but be less seamless in operation and more work to haul, fuel, and handle.

We had nearly the same system in our 07 190P and found it quite restrictive as we normally didn't want to use the generator even though we had one (noise, bothering people, etc) especially after we had upgraded to a compressor refrigerator.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:25 PM   #5

Thank you so much for that. I think that alleviates a lot of my concern about the generator. Now, for the seats: Having them ensures I can seat in seatbelts all of my three children and that we’d have defined sleeping for four. The fifth will sleep on a thermarest on the floor. Without the seats, it has seatbelted seating for four of us and defined sleeping for two. So obviously, the seats are essential. My question is how likely can I expect to trade out the cabinets for a pair of Roadtrek seats? Do Roadtrek owners ever sell their seats? I called the factory in Canada, a few dealerships and a camper conversion shop, as well as camping world, and pretty much struck out.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:02 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you so much for that. I think that alleviates a lot of my concern about the generator. Now, for the seats: Having them ensures I can seat in seatbelts all of my three children and that we’d have defined sleeping for four. The fifth will sleep on a thermarest on the floor. Without the seats, it has seatbelted seating for four of us and defined sleeping for two. So obviously, the seats are essential. My question is how likely can I expect to trade out the cabinets for a pair of Roadtrek seats? Do Roadtrek owners ever sell their seats? I called the factory in Canada, a few dealerships and a camper conversion shop, as well as camping world, and pretty much struck out.

From what I have seen in the past, there are a lot more people looking for the cabinets than are looking for seats, so I think you are very, very likely to be able to get a swap pretty easily, plus you could probably get some cash.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #7

I have a 2004 RT Versatile. with back seats and generator. I can't imagine my life without either. you may want to look more.
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #8

We have a 2005 Versatile without a generator. We have been using it for 6 years and there has only been a time or two when we wish we did have one.

We added 170 watts of solar a few years ago. Between the solar and driving we have never had a problem with power. Of course, we can't run the A/C without shore power, but driving up to the mountains usually removes the need for A/C.

We have both seats in ours. If you're ever in Colorado, I would love to switch out the cabinet behind the driver seat for our seat (assuming you buy the Roadtrek).
Old 12-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #9

I own a 2006 Roadtrek 170 popular.
The generator was an option in the Roadtrek. I would suggest buying a predator 2000 watt generator from Harbor Freight for a little under $500 and plug it into to your shore power if you determine you need one. Personally, I can't imagine not having the availability of one.
donmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:36 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmac View Post
I own a 2006 Roadtrek 170 popular.
The generator was an option in the Roadtrek. I would suggest buying a predator 2000 watt generator from Harbor Freight for a little under $500 and plug it into to your shore power if you determine you need one. Personally, I can't imagine not having the availability of one.
For $250 more you can get a quiet Champion inverter genny that has 3100 watts(enough to fire up the A/C) and it has key fob remote start. You can start it inside the camper. I've had this model for two years. It has been flawless.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3100.../dp/B00JZQUSAC
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #11

Default Seat swap

I have a 2007 Versatile 4-wheel drive and would be open to swapping my 2 rear seats for your cabinets if you go through with buying the vehicle. The only problem is I live in Florida. I could plan a trip out west next year.
daytonabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
I have a 2014 Ranger and it was built with no generator which is exactly what I want. The refrigerator is 12v. I have no problem without a generator. For me as a solo traveler it is one less thing to maintain. I have no trouble when I Boondock or when I hook up to shore power. Much of mine is set up to run on 12 V. I don’t run my air conditioner or microwave unless I am on Shore power. Otherwise I love it.
rtpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Are you still looking to buy Roadtrek seats? Did you buy the RT?
I own a 07’ 210V and do not use the 2 rear passenger seats.
But would need to see pictures and cost of the cabinets your swapping/selling.
Steve L. in Florida
verolake@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:23 PM   #14
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
For $250 more you can get a quiet Champion inverter genny that has 3100 watts(enough to fire up the A/C) and it has key fob remote start. You can start it inside the camper. I've had this model for two years. It has been flawless.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3100.../dp/B00JZQUSAC
I have just purchsed a 2002 Pleasureway Excel. It was prewired from the factory for a gen. The question I have can you run a portable permanet mounted gen then get a low psi fuel pump to run fuel to it? Looking maybe at the Champion 3100 remote start.
leva56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #15
Platinum Member

that's the Ford right?
( I have the PW Lexor on a chev)

PW would have used the Onan 2800 and there would be a tap into the fuel tank at about the 1/3 level ( so you don;t run dry camped in the boonies)

the start control would be on panel above side door

these genny's show up on craigslist, count on needing a rebuilt carb- the carbs don't like old gas sitting

many remove the gennys to save on weight- I am torn on this- I've never run my genny in a camping situation ( and running in the driveway to keep it working each month is a drag)

here's one in PHX ( not mine) the guys has been running ads for awhile:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/b...102484875.html

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
that's the Ford right?
( I have the PW Lexor on a chev)

PW would have used the Onan 2800 and there would be a tap into the fuel tank at about the 1/3 level ( so you don;t run dry camped in the boonies)

the start control would be on panel above side door

these genny's show up on craigslist, count on needing a rebuilt carb- the carbs don't like old gas sitting

many remove the gennys to save on weight- I am torn on this- I've never run my genny in a camping situation ( and running in the driveway to keep it working each month is a drag)

here's one in PHX ( not mine) the guys has been running ads for awhile:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/b...102484875.html

Mike

I would put that one at badly overpriced, as there is no idea if it will run or if the generator section has output. We sold ours a few years ago, that had like 25 hours and ran perfectly for $800. The one in the add could take hundreds of dollars in getting a new carb for it and maybe several times that if the slip rings are corroded.

The only way I would touch it would be to tell him to get it running for a test and show me that it has continuous full output capability. The guy that bought ours wanted that, which I did willingly as that is the right thing to do. He was wise, IMO. Ours ran at full load that was over rated continuous without a hitch on the bench for an hour for him. He bought it at full price with no questions.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #17
Silver Member

Yes I figured that if there wasn't anything with it and it had set for awhile it could take several hundred to repair it.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:40 AM   #18
Silver Member

My original question was. is there any one that has permantly mounted a portable gen and hooked it up to low pressure fuel pump.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leva56 View Post
My original question was. is there any one that has permantly mounted a portable gen and hooked it up to low pressure fuel pump.
I gave that idea some thought as the fuel pump left from the Onan is rated at 1.5 lbs.

I've thought of just tying into the fuel line on the genny fuel line using a 3-way valve. One would need a switch for the fuel pump somewhere inside the coach, not a major thing.

It is extremely rare that I get into a situation where I need more than the 6 hours of run time that the genny fuel tank provides. I have solar on board that takes care of all the electrics except for the "heavy lifting" so the genny is not being used to just charge the battery. If I need the A/C for overnight(think Alabama in August) I try to get into an Army Corpse park. When heading back from "out west" in August I travel during the week so availability is not an issue. I have a couple there that I use along with a couple of them in SE OK.

All of that said, rigging up a direct fuel line has not been a priority, but I like the idea. I have used my set up for fueling either a motorcycle or 4-wheeler while boondocking and it is handy for that.

I'd say go for it. Just watch for the engine flooding or running rich. I've never had a reason to get intimate with the carburetor on my 3100 Champion() but it appears, in the manual diagram, to have a carburetor bowl drain. If that is the case, one could attach a clear vinyl hose and curve it up higher that the carbby to ascertain the fuel level in the bowl. I think it would be prudent to check that with the genny running both in stock configuration and after the modification, and also check the level with the pump engaged to see if the level goes up under pressure from the fuel pump.

Have fun! It sounds like a good, viable Covid project.

If anyone sees issues with this idea, please do chime in.

Skol.

Looking forward to your results.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #20
Silver Member

Hey thanks Skol,I like the champions because of the remote start. I am going to do some further checking with some small engine mechanics to see what they have to say. If anyone has an opinion on this please let me know.