Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2022, 05:42 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default 2006 roadtrek 210 popular issues

Hi, new guy here. I am looking at purchasing a 2006 Roadtrek 210 Popular. In studying the pictures I see what looks like a water stain above the rear doors. So, I checked the pictures of several units and found the same stain on several of them. I can't find a lot of information on this. Is this a common issue?
We really like the layout of these 210 units and would greatly appreciate any information on them.
Thank you
ph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 05:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Look at the upper light above the doors when you open them
There is an opening there where we're gets in.
Apply silicon to the opening .
That should stop it.

If you pick.up the 210.i would highly suggest that you install a drain line from the AC tray down to the bumper.
Water builds up in the tray and drains out thru a hole in the back righthand corner.
I installed a drain tube to this hole and have never had a problem with water coming in. You would be surprised how much water comes from the AC unit.

FYI
A 50/50 solution of Hydrogen Peroxide and water in a spray bottle will remove the water stains. Just spray it on the area wait 30 seconds use a toothbrush to lightly scrub the area then pat dry.

Ours is a 2007 RT 210 Versatile.
Old 12-31-2022, 02:51 PM   #3
Silver Member

Default Macerator

This is another thing that is new to me. Always had gravity drain sewage systems and never had a problem. Is this type of system good or a problem comming? If the pump stops can it be drained like the gravity type?
Old 12-31-2022, 03:23 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph007 View Post
This is another thing that is new to me. Always had gravity drain sewage systems and never had a problem. Is this type of system good or a problem comming? If the pump stops can it be drained like the gravity type?

I assume you are talking about the macerator pump to dump the grey and black tanks.

Yes, they do fail. Some people have no problem and it varies all the way to some have repeating failures, so use pattern probably makes a difference.

There is a lot of information on the forum about the topic, including how to help prevent failures if it is an original Roadrek install.

There are also multiple discussions on building and installing a "dual dump" setup so you have a backup gravity dump setup to use if the pump fails.

Without the backup system, on some of the older versions of vans that have the pump you have no way to empty the tanks without removing the pump. On newer ones there is a plug in the system that can be removed to dump into a bucket or big pan but it is still a very messy job.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:23 PM   #5
Silver Member

Booster you are very helpful. It sounds like the macerator could be a big issue. When I look at this RT210 would there be any tell tail signs of a problem?
I also just seen a Pleasure-Way Excel-TD and it has a gravity dump system. However it is built on a Ford E-350 with a 5.4 engine. I realy prefer Chevy.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:42 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Booster you are very helpful. It sounds like the macerator could be a big issue. When I look at this RT210 would there be any tell tail signs of a problem?
I also just seen a Pleasure-Way Excel-TD and it has a gravity dump system. However it is built on a Ford E-350 with a 5.4 engine. I realy prefer Chevy.

Hard to test and have it predict future reliability, I think. Just fill both tanks at least 1/4 full and pump them out one at a time to see that the valves and pump are functioning.

The water should come out quite fast from the end of the hose and not pulse until almost empty.

Most folks, once they have a macerator they would never go back, even with the risk of occasional failures. We have on in our 07 190P Roadtrek and would not give it up, but I also built a secondary gravity dump that has never been used except to test it every couple of years.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:00 PM   #7
Site Team

I have had macerators in two different rigs (soon to be three). I installed a dual-dump setup early on in both cases. However, in 17 years, I have never had the pleasure of using them.

Of course a macerator can fail. But I see no reason to believe that it is especially common. People DO get stuff caught in the impeller. But (a) that is mostly user error and (b) it can usually be fixed by rotating the pump using the screw provided.

FWIW: I would never even THINK about owning a rig without a fully-sealed macerator. They are the best.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 06:06 PM   #8
Silver Member

Is it hard to install a gravity backup? I have never seen the underside of a RT210.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:18 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Is it hard to install a gravity backup? I have never seen the underside of a RT210.
I haven't seen one either.
Difficulty varies greatly depending on the rig. Start with this (oldish) thread:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...dump-3254.html

I recommend you read the whole thing. In particular, in many cases, the key to this project is a specific plumbing fitting called the Valterra T1037.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 08:15 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I haven't seen one either.
Difficulty varies greatly depending on the rig. Start with this (oldish) thread:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...dump-3254.html

I recommend you read the whole thing. In particular, in many cases, the key to this project is a specific plumbing fitting called the Valterra T1037.

Add these two threads to the required reading list.

This one is for our 09 190P Roadtrek and the 210 is likely the same.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ight=dual+dump

This one addresses some basic errors Roadtrek made installing the pumps.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ight=dual+dump
Old 01-06-2023, 03:56 PM   #11

I have used a macerator since I purchased my 2008 210 Popular and had very little problems. I did replace it about 3 years ago because the propellar was worn. Did it myself without much problem. I really like the fact that I can empty my tanks in a short period of time without getting dirty.

If for some reason you do not purchase the 2006 RT 210 I will have my 2008 210 Popular with 86,000 miles on it for sale in March. I have it garaged and winterized at present.
cuppmobile is offline   Reply With Quote