Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2022, 09:37 PM   #1

Default 2007 Pleasure way Excel TD paint issues?

Hi all,

I'm looking at a 2007 Pleasure way Excel TD that is for sale in my local area. It's in a little rougher shape than I wanted, but it noticed that all of the fibreglass body shell (not the turtle top) had little bumps under the paint.
I've seen an older 2003 Pleasureway with the "pimples" that were substantially larger and oozing brown stuff that was supposedly fibreglass resin that wasn't set.
Any idea what has caused these bumps? is this a common issue?
deal breaker?

IMG_5835.jpg

IMG_5849.jpg

IMG_5871.jpg
macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I don't know

but check the area around the rear door hinges for rust- where the fiberglass widebody meets the ford steel.

I've noticed a few excels with rust there- even here in AZ

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:22 PM   #3

There were quite a few leaks on this one, it had been stored under a tree and all the debris from the tree caused lots of problems.

There were leaks above the driver and passenger doors, I guess the seals hadn't been kept up.
inside the back doors the carpet is black from a leak.

IMG_5842.jpg

IMG_5843.jpg

IMG_5850.jpg

IMG_5854.jpg

IMG_5874.jpg

IMG_5875.jpg
Old 07-22-2022, 10:30 PM   #4
Platinum Member

You mean it rains in BC ?

I'd expect the "deferred" maintenance to extend throughout the vehicle...oil changes that kind of thing.

to remediate mold or rot, means stripping out some of the interior.

sheesh. it looks scary
Old 07-22-2022, 10:40 PM   #5

it actually looked pretty good in person, until you look closer.
And it was cheap, less than $40k.
But it was being sold by a Nephew for his uncle, terms like "as far as I know everything works" were red flags.
They also state that the toilet hadn't been used, but when I flipped open the valve the water was only 2 inches below the top of the tank. The roof vent caps were gone, so that could have been the source of the water.

They also stated that the oil and coolant had been changed last year.
Then said the uncle had not used it in 3 years.
looking at the oil filter, it's not from last year...
oil filter.jpg

So I've written this one off and will keep looking.
Old 07-23-2022, 03:44 AM   #6
Platinum Member

If it were me, seeing all this, it could become a money pit. Having that body stripped down and a paint job could be costly and be a worry….will they get it right, will it last. Your buying from a Nephew…..sounds suspect, like as best I know! You want to enough your new home, not worry and spend money needlessly. I would broaden my search pattern, you could find a great one, one not needing money dumped into it. The cheap price now could be a bitter pill later.
Old 07-23-2022, 11:15 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
If it were me, seeing all this, it could become a money pit. Having that body stripped down and a paint job could be costly and be a worry….will they get it right, will it last. Your buying from a Nephew…..sounds suspect, like as best I know! You want to enough your new home, not worry and spend money needlessly. I would broaden my search pattern, you could find a great one, one not needing money dumped into it. The cheap price now could be a bitter pill later.

I agree, the whole uncle selling but the nephew (or any other combo or relatives or friends) is one of the prime methods of the dealers who are selling from home and doing skip titling of vehicles they have acquired.

It only takes one simple question to find out if the seller is ligit.

"Do you have a clean title, in your name, and are you willing to show me your ID?"

In this case the answer would be it is in his uncle's name and location, so you ask if you look at the vehicle at his uncle's location with his uncle present.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:20 PM   #8

The story was it is owned by his elderly uncle who has had it for 12 years, doing a bit more research (carfax) I see it started out as a rental unit for 3 years. So that's where the majority of the mileage came from. He put 20,000km/12,500mi on it in 12 years.
Tires were from 2011, so they probably put new tires on it to sell it to him after the rental. So the pieces of the story are falling into place.

But there were some lies too. I asked why it's so "mossy" everywhere and was told it was parked under a tree in the storage lot.
And it looks mossy AFTER they have scrubbed it and cleaned it up!
So I looked at the storage lot on google maps... no trees!
They also told me they had 12 other people coming to see it after me, yet he messaged me last night to "come and get it".

So there is definitely story telling involved!

So to sum it up; elderly owner who didn't use it much, didn't understand that the roof/clearance light sealant should be checked... Basically let it sit and rot.

blocked gutters.jpg

mossy.jpg

storage.jpg
Old 07-23-2022, 02:16 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macklin View Post
The story was it is owned by his elderly uncle who has had it for 12 years, doing a bit more research (carfax) I see it started out as a rental unit for 3 years. So that's where the majority of the mileage came from. He put 20,000km/12,500mi on it in 12 years.
Tires were from 2011, so they probably put new tires on it to sell it to him after the rental. So the pieces of the story are falling into place.

But there were some lies too. I asked why it's so "mossy" everywhere and was told it was parked under a tree in the storage lot.
And it looks mossy AFTER they have scrubbed it and cleaned it up!
So I looked at the storage lot on google maps... no trees!
They also told me they had 12 other people coming to see it after me, yet he messaged me last night to "come and get it".

So there is definitely story telling involved!

So to sum it up; elderly owner who didn't use it much, didn't understand that the roof/clearance light sealant should be checked... Basically let it sit and rot.

Attachment 12962

Attachment 12963

Attachment 12964

There is also the very real possibility that the "nephew" just bought it from some person who had it and then made up the story based on the person he got it from and the Carfax. I have caught sellers in that one several times.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:21 PM   #10
Platinum Member

on another forum, a story from a person who bought an excel and it was a mess, mold under the flooring etc. they are stripping out floors and looking at replacing plywood- wondered if it might be "your van" but I think she got it in Atlanta

scary.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:51 AM   #11

Default bad news van

oh please stay away from this one, unless you are a glutton for punishment!!!:
suep is offline   Reply With Quote