Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2022, 06:55 PM   #1

Question 2007 Roadtrek RS A/C replacement

The engine powered A/C does not really cool the cabin of our RS to well. The top unit is in need of replacement as it is nearing 15 years of use and there are not any recharge ports on the existing DuoTherm unit. I would like to find a replacement that we can operate while underway, in other words on DC power for the drive and then change to AC power when camping. Does such a beast exist?

As a side note, I have operated the top unit while underway running the generator. But this does seem kind of silly.

So ideas on air conditioner replacement are appreciated.

RTNMEAD
Rtnmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtnmead View Post
The engine powered A/C does not really cool the cabin of our RS to well. The top unit is in need of replacement as it is nearing 15 years of use and there are not any recharge ports on the existing DuoTherm unit. I would like to find a replacement that we can operate while underway, in other words on DC power for the drive and then change to AC power when camping. Does such a beast exist?

As a side note, I have operated the top unit while underway running the generator. But this does seem kind of silly.

So ideas on air conditioner replacement are appreciated.

RTNMEAD
I do not think they make an AC unit which can run on both DC and AC power. If DC, you would need some serious wiring changes to bring the DC amps to compressor. I would suggest, you stick with an AC unit. Running the AC with genny is not a problem if it is a gas genny. I run my genny sometimes to exercise it when driving. Recently switched to a 2800i inverter genny so noise is not so much an issue.
Old 02-24-2022, 04:06 PM   #3
Silver Member

Here's an article from Mortons on the Move regarding DC A/C's. Also I found the RecPro while searching. Note that the Nomadic Cooling is under 10,000btu while the RecPro is at 20,000btu at half the price (at least the list price on their websites).

As Rlum mentioned you'll have to do some serious wiring changes, the RecPro takes 100A at 12V so you'll have two huge wires from your batteries to the A/C.

Note that a competent and willing A/C person can add taps to recharge your current unit, however finding one willing to do the work will be the tough part.
2006 Roadtrek 210 Versatile, 400W Solar, 320AH LiFePO4. Suspension mods: Front: Moog 81004 coil springs. Rear: SuperSteer Track Bar, AirLift airbags with integrated bump stop, 2" lift blocks, removed overload leafs. All around: Bilsteins, 265-75R16 K02's
Luv2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:37 AM   #4

I have a 2006 Roadtrek RS Dodge Sprinter and I have a similar question. We have a Propane tank the I would normally shut off during travel. Because we have a gas absorption Refrigerator, I have always shut to Propane off during travel. Living in the Phoenix area, we will often travel out of the area in the summertime. I normally drive with the propane or LP gas turned off. Even when we drive from Phoenix to California the desert heat will cook the RV with only the Dash AC working.

I normally assume that driving with the LP (propane) on is a bad ideas and can result in fires.
But is it ok to use the LP (Propane) to only be used for the generator to run the roof top AC?
auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 11:11 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auger View Post
I have a 2006 Roadtrek RS Dodge Sprinter and I have a similar question. We have a Propane tank the I would normally shut off during travel. Because we have a gas absorption Refrigerator, I have always shut to Propane off during travel. Living in the Phoenix area, we will often travel out of the area in the summertime. I normally drive with the propane or LP gas turned off. Even when we drive from Phoenix to California the desert heat will cook the RV with only the Dash AC working.

I normally assume that driving with the LP (propane) on is a bad ideas and can result in fires.
But is it ok to use the LP (Propane) to only be used for the generator to run the roof top AC?
Technically, it is considered unsafe to run anything propane when driving. Suppose to have propane valve on shut off. In theory, an accident can cause propane to leak out with catastrophic results. I have read of many people leaving the propane on to run refrigerator. As long as no accidents, you will be fine?
Old 03-04-2022, 05:44 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply.
One does not always assume that the worst would happen or an accident may happen and what are the repercussions of our actions. Very difficult to assess. I always thought that the pilot light on an LP refrigerator with a vent to the outside was the reason, but never associated a LP line that was open may cause a problem. That is true, once I open the valve, anything could cause additional problems.

Thanks for the different perspective
auger is offline   Reply With Quote