Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2021, 01:57 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 2007 RT 210 Chevy squirley and rough

Help! This is my first post. I recently purchased my rig from the second owner. Van very well maintained, but it was a beast to drive home 5 hours from Phoenix! The I-10 is rough from the big rigs and it was windy as heck! The ride and handling are not what I expected. I know the shocks were updated to Bilsteen, and the previous owner bought new tires last month. What is my first step to getting this issue solved? I'm scared to drive it too far from home.
It's a beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's a beast View Post
Help! This is my first post. I recently purchased my rig from the second owner. Van very well maintained, but it was a beast to drive home 5 hours from Phoenix! The I-10 is rough from the big rigs and it was windy as heck! The ride and handling are not what I expected. I know the shocks were updated to Bilsteen, and the previous owner bought new tires last month. What is my first step to getting this issue solved? I'm scared to drive it too far from home.

Lots of discussions here on Chevy handling, even though they are usually considered among the better handling B's.

The Bilsteins are good, what tires are on it and at what pressures. Most prefer 65psi front and 80 psi rear.

The van is nearly 15 years old so it probably needs a good look over of the steering parts and maybe some replaced. If not regularly greased (all of them) the moving parts will get loose quite quickly.

A good alignment to best settings, if you can find someone capable of doing it which has been difficult lately in many area.

A big rear sway bar will help the handling in the wind a bunch for most vans.

Roughness is tough to say, but many including us in our 07 190P have found that lifting the front with taller, stiffer, springs helps. Airbags in the back can help. Both also help prevent bottoming out damage as the Roadtrek Chevies sit low.

You should be able to get your Chevy to drive very easily and be acceptably smooth, but always remember that this is a truck in all ways, so still will drive like one in many ways.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Recent high winds in Arizona are tough on any vehicle, especially a high profile vehicle like a Class B. Vans are not known for crisp steering even under the best of conditions. Our 2014 Chevy 190P with 16K miles wanders in the wind a lot more than our 15 year-old Honda CR-V and our 10 year-old Pilot, both with over 200K miles.

Spring winds in AZ tend to come from the SW, so you’ll usually have front quarter winds on I-10W. Besides a tight grip on the steering wheel, sometimes I’ve had to lock out overdrive to prevent frequent gear-hunting.

Do have an inspection, maybe check alignment, to see if there’s anything that needs attention, but part of it is just the nature of the beast. As booster says, they are heavy duty trucks. You’ll get accustomed to it, and you’ll also learn to watch wind forecasts more closely when planning long driving days.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:05 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Great info. I will start with tire pressure and go from there. Appreciate your assistance!
Old 04-26-2021, 02:10 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing.. Not used to driving "a beast" I just want to make sure it's optimized so I'm safe driving it. Otherwise, why have it, right?
Old 04-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you! I was thinking the same thing.. Not used to driving "a beast" I just want to make sure it's optimized so I'm safe driving it. Otherwise, why have it, right?

There really is no reasons that I can think about that you should be scared to drive the Chevies once you get used to them and maybe do some upgrades to make it easier.

We have done pretty much all the upgrades in handling to our 190 and it really is not a problem at all to drive in winds or all day. I have driven ours up to 850 miles in a day in 20-30 mph winds without issue. We averaged over 70mph including stops for gas so not taking it easy.

Of course you can feel wind gusts hit, particularly around our home state of Minnesota where there are lots of trees and obstructions along the highways. They block wind and then there are open areas so get "hit" with full force. How well the van handles that kind of stuff is related to how quickly it reacts to small steering inputs to correct the hit and also if the van moved a little straight over, not with more movement in on end or the other. I find the van just as easy to drive as DW's CRV so it is not bad at all.

Start with the tire pressure at 65/80 if it isn't already there. Lots of people set them at the door sticker pressure of 50/80 and that can make them tough in the winds.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:11 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not sure what the OP dealt with, but spring winds in AZ can be upwards of 30-40 mph, with much higher gusts.

I was driving on I-40 yesterday (not in the van) in red flag conditions, and semis were being pushed out of their lanes frequently. I had to be very cautious when passing. It’s far from the worst I have encountered this time of year.

We have seen that much and one time even higher once. I makes it a bit harder but doesn't really slow us down much. That one time we were going from the Tetons to Denver on a two lane route and when we came down out of the mountains hit red flag, closed passes warnings, for 70mph winds. Lots of trucks and RV were pulled over and saw one fifth wheel with a window blown out and a nearly new class C where it had peeled back the rubber roof. The cool part of it was on one relatively short stretch we hit pure tailwind and got over 30mpg on the that stretch, average.

I think for us the huge rear sway bar and the bigger tires make a big difference when the winds get really high, like in the 40mph range. When the van was new, winds that high were certainly a challenge compared to now. For me, passing the big trucks can be scary because sometimes, maybe when they are empty, the van coming up on them seems to make them move around some when it is windy out, and the wind is from our side of them.

Agree that without know the OP's conditions it is hard to say how difficult it should have been or how much it could be improved, especially with a non experienced big van driver out for the first time.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:31 PM   #8
Bronze Member

You're right about non-experienced in this type of rig. I've driven large trucks and motorhomes intermittently, but nothing long term. I have no qualms about driving it locally - but getting on the freeway for long distances makes me nervous. So I will take the advice given and get it all checked out, and go from there. If I find that is is all ok and I just can't get used to it, I'll sell it. Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2021, 07:58 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I-40 in Oklahoma is a test for any vehicle. East and west road with prevailing winds mostly from the S or SW. Except of course, in the winter when there is nothing to stop the wind from the N. As I type, OKC winds are out of the south 25 gusting to 37 and have been all day long.
We bought our 2007 RT 210P fifteen years ago new and it is all stock and we run our tires at 65 front, 75 rear. We have no handling problems and never have had any. Maybe it is just the fact that we grew up with and are used to driving in cross winds. Compared to Class Cs we have enjoyed over the years, our RT is a Maserati.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:29 PM   #10
Silver Member

Quote:
Great info. I will start with tire pressure and go from there. Appreciate your assistance!
I bought a 2002 ford class b, when bringing it home it drove fine. I went to discount to have the tires rotated and found out they were over 7 years old, had new tires put on and the front end aligned. Drove to Idaho from AZ. It was all over the road, got to Idaho talked to my son he said that it was probably I believe it's called treading so went back to Discount they upgraded the tires to Coppers, it's better now but still has some roaming. I also have just put on a steering stabilizer shock, haven't had a chance to try it will do that this week on a small trip.
leva56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:49 AM   #11
Platinum Member

When we got our 200 it rolled, pitched and heaved down the road like a drunken whale. Fixing the handling included:

Correct tire pressures. This was astounding. The van was a factory demonstrator. We bought it from the factory and took delivery at the factory. Yet when I checked, the tires were at 65 psi all around. If you haven't personally checked the tire pressures don't assume they are correct. Several times I've gotten the van back from tire rotations with incorrect pressures.

Bilstein shocks. Make sure the correct units for your van's axle weights are installed on your van. They need to be spec'd for the van's actual weights, not the bare chassis weights or an Express Van's nominal weights. The front ones are different from the rears.

A steering stabilizer.

With those fixes the van handles pretty decently. There is some slop in the steering which you need to learn to anticipate.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Have not ever had a problem with our 2007 RT 210 Versatile, Purchased it a couple years ago from an elderly couple who were the original owners, had 29632 miles on it. It drove and handled very well. I did put a new set of tires on it and new front end sway bar bracket bushings that were worn out. Now have a few thousand more miles on it and it still drives and handles great, very stable and smooth ride. My wife loves driving it also. Tire pressures are: 60 front, 80 rear.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:16 PM   #13
Platinum Member

My Chevy handles great. If it's windy, slow down, it has a raised roof. Common sense...
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:45 AM   #14
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbill View Post
When we got our 200 it rolled, pitched and heaved down the road like a drunken whale. Fixing the handling included:

Correct tire pressures. This was astounding. The van was a factory demonstrator. We bought it from the factory and took delivery at the factory. Yet when I checked, the tires were at 65 psi all around. If you haven't personally checked the tire pressures don't assume they are correct. Several times I've gotten the van back from tire rotations with incorrect pressures.

Bilstein shocks. Make sure the correct units for your van's axle weights are installed on your van. They need to be spec'd for the van's actual weights, not the bare chassis weights or an Express Van's nominal weights. The front ones are different from the rears.

A steering stabilizer.

With those fixes the van handles pretty decently. There is some slop in the steering which you need to learn to anticipate.
I had the van insoected today to ensure the front end was OK, and the mechanic said it looks good... Very well taken care of I'll check the tire pressure when I get it home tomorrow. I'll have to google "steering stabilizer" ... Have no idea what that is! But I agree there will probably still be some slop and just learning and getting used to it will take some time. Ty!
Old 05-06-2021, 02:47 AM   #15
Bronze Member

[QUOTE=ChicagoTom;127613]My Chevy handles great. If it's windy, slow down, it has a raised roof. Common sense...[/QUOTE

Of course I slow down, but never drive it over 65 to begin with!
Old 05-06-2021, 12:37 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I used a stabilizer on my 2007 Ford. It made a huge difference when hitting gust of wind and when being passed by big rigs.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/reflex.php
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:02 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBad View Post
I used a stabilizer on my 2007 Ford. It made a huge difference when hitting gust of wind and when being passed by big rigs.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/reflex.php
Thanks for the link... Very helpful!
Old 05-06-2021, 03:20 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I think after shopping around I was all in for about $275ish. Stabilizer $175. Brkt/mount kit for my vehicle $100ish.
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:52 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBad View Post
I think after shopping around I was all in for about $275ish. Stabilizer $175. Brkt/mount kit for my vehicle $100ish.

Personally, I am not a big fan of any of the spring return setups for the steering. If the 2007 is built on a 2007 chassis it likely has the same steering gear in it, which should return very quickly to center. The 2006 was different, I think, but I haven't driven one to know feel.

While you are looking at the Roadmaster site, take a look at the rear swaybars as they are the only ones that will fit a Chevy with a generator unless you move the generator back. Without a genny, you can get a much less expensive one. I think the rear bar is one of the best ways to tame down wind sway and wander.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:06 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Personally, I am not a big fan of any of the spring return setups for the steering. If the 2007 is built on a 2007 chassis it likely has the same steering gear in it, which should return very quickly to center. The 2006 was different, I think, but I haven't driven one to know feel.

While you are looking at the Roadmaster site, take a look at the rear swaybars as they are the only ones that will fit a Chevy with a generator unless you move the generator back. Without a genny, you can get a much less expensive one. I think the rear bar is one of the best ways to tame down wind sway and wander.
I have had a 2006 210P for 10 years now. I handled fine when I got it at 5 years old. I put stiffer springs in front and airbags in the back to raise it 2-inches. It still handled fine. A year or 2 later I found that the idler arm was worn out, so I replaced it, the pitman arm and the tie rod ends. The ball joints were fine (still are at 130k miles. THe van handles fine at all speeds. I drive it at 75 mph at times on the interstate. If very windy, I drop down in speed. A swaybar would be nice but the airbags improved things enough that I am fine with it now.

I must say it does ride "rough" as the springs are stiff, I put in Bilstein shocks, and the Bridgestone V-Steel tires have a stiff sidewall, somewhat due to their "S" speed rating (which GM recommends BTW).

THe steering is good and not squirrely. So perhaps something is worn out on yours. You might want to check another suspension shop.

One suggestion, be sure to lube the front steering and suspension joints every oil change. I now have 130k miles and all the joints are still good (replaced at 50k).
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 roadtrek 210 popular, chevy express 3500, rough ride