Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2007, 03:24 AM   #1

Default 2008 PW Excels on 2008 chassis

Watch out if considering buying a new 2008 Pleasure-Way Excel....most dealers at the moment have 2008 coach bodies sitting on a 2007 chassis.

The new 2008 models (once PW uses up the exisiting 2007 chassis) will be on the completely revamped F350 Super Duty chassis. The front end is completely restyled and Ford has redesigned it's suspension for a better ride.

I'm buying what I thought was a new 2008 but low and behold it has the 2007 chassis and for insurance purposes when the VIN number is checked it's a 2007. This means that in case of an accident and the van is a write off the insurance company gives you the deprciated value of a 2007.

Don't pay a premium for such a 2008 model....when the revamped 2008's arrive in December or January the dealers will be forced to advertise the exisiting models as 2007's and reflect this in their pricing. Ask for a discounted price now.
bushpilotmexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

In Kansas our PW Lexor is considered a 2007 even though it's on a 2006 chassis. The state goes by the PW vin no. which makes it a 2007. Not the GM vin which is 2006.
Hence, the insurance and taxing is for a 2007.

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
In Kansas our PW Lexor is considered a 2007 even though it's on a 2006 chassis. The state goes by the PW vin no. which makes it a 2007. Not the GM vin which is 2006.
Hence, the insurance and taxing is for a 2007.
Doesn't work that way with ICBC (government auto insurance) here in British Columbia, Canada. When they run the VIN # for insurance purposes it identifys the vehicle as a 2007 regardless of the coach year.

Now remember I'm not talking about the vehicle title documents or ownership which may, in fact, show the vehicle as a 2008. I am talking about full replacement insurance in the vehicle insurance policy. Talk to your insurance agent to clarify this fact.

This is especially important in a chassis model change year. This is the point I was trying to make in my posting. My understanding is that Ford hasn't changed the design of their F350 Econoline vans since 1992. The new 2008 chassis has a completely new front end.

PW has been using up the 2007 chassis and outfitting them with the 2008 coach bodies BUT and it's a BIG BUT soon, if not already, the dealers will be receiving the 2008 chassis/2008 coach models and they are going to be sitting side by side with the 2007 chassis/2008 coach units. The new front end will make the others look antique.

If you buy the new model with a 2008 chassis VIN number and you total the unit your insurance comapny will run the VIN and confirm that it is a 2008 for replacement insurance purposes. The older 2008 model with the 2007 chassis will show up as a 2007. It's just the way the system works.

If you get a letter from your insurance company saying that in the event of a total write off they will replace your 2006 coach with a 2007 chassis model send me a PM and I will give you my mailing address so you can send me a copy of the letter.
bushpilotmexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:45 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilotmexico
Doesn't work that way with ICBC (government auto insurance) here in British Columbia, Canada...............
Yup, it's different here in BC. My rig is a '05 Chevy / '06 Trail-Lite. It's registered as an '05 for insurance.

I've read many posts on this topic. It varies for different US States. Most seem to be able to get the RV registered using the year of the motorhome. Much better in my opinion.

With ICBC's Replacement Cost optional coverage you'd be able to get a new RV if your's was totaled. I think that coverage last 3 years - in my case: '05, '06 & '07 would be the eligible years.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote