Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-21-2022, 03:53 AM   #1
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: ON
Posts: 96
Default 2010 Roadtrek SS Ideal ...

Family members will be renting a 2010 RT SS Ideal next summer. They have no RVing experience and we will provide them with basic "how to" from our knowledge/experience. Are there any Forum members who have/had this (or a similar year) model? If yes, we would appreciate any comment in regard to operating characteristic, either chassis or cabin.
Thanks
__________________

Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
Family members will be renting a 2010 RT SS Ideal next summer. They have no RVing experience and we will provide them with basic "how to" from our knowledge/experience. Are there any Forum members who have/had this (or a similar year) model? If yes, we would appreciate any comment in regard to operating characteristic, either chassis or cabin.
Thanks
I believe the Ideal is on the short Sprinter and has the rear slide-out "hearse" bed in the back. A unique design for sure. Otherwise, systems should be similar to the Mercedes Roadtreks of the period.

__________________

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:50 PM   #3
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: ON
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I believe the Ideal is on the short Sprinter and has the rear slide-out "hearse" bed in the back. A unique design for sure. Otherwise, systems should be similar to the Mercedes Roadtreks of the period.
Yes, and correctly or incorrectly, I am recalling that the rear slide-out design is unique to the 2010 model.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:46 PM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: BC
Posts: 16
Default

I own a 2010 SS Ideal with rear slide out.
Not much different than any other slide unit, be sure nothing is blocking slide both going out and in. Items on floor, curtains, items under the bed in storage area and the rear doors themselves. Also be sure the rear window on the slide is closed before closing the rear doors.
Otherwise, enjoy the refrigerator that is positioned higher at a comfortable level and larger than that on other similar models. They will also enjoy the significantly larger bathroom than other similar models.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:47 PM   #5
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: ON
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
I own a 2010 SS Ideal with rear slide out.
Not much different than any other slide unit, be sure nothing is blocking slide both going out and in. Items on floor, curtains, items under the bed in storage area and the rear doors themselves. Also be sure the rear window on the slide is closed before closing the rear doors.
Otherwise, enjoy the refrigerator that is positioned higher at a comfortable level and larger than that on other similar models. They will also enjoy the significantly larger bathroom than other similar models.
Great info, thanks much for responding.
Your SS Ideal comes across as one cool machine. The more I researched it the more I liked it. Two other questions please:
1) How easy is it to dump the tanks (these guys are RV newbies)?
2) How much of a drain factor could the propane driven generator be on the capacity of the onboard propane tank?
3) Will the 750 watt inverter run the microwave?
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
Great info, thanks much for responding.
Your SS Ideal comes across as one cool machine. The more I researched it the more I liked it. Two other questions please:
1) How easy is it to dump the tanks (these guys are RV newbies)?
2) How much of a drain factor could the propane driven generator be on the capacity of the onboard propane tank?
3) Will the 750 watt inverter run the microwave?
I will answer number 3) - No. The 750W rating is cooking power. There is a lot of power inefficiency as my van's 750W microwave (which wasn't initially wired to the inverter anyway) draws 1100 watts and would not run off my old 750W inverter.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:52 AM   #7
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: ON
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I will answer number 3) - No. The 750W rating is cooking power. There is a lot of power inefficiency as my van's 750W microwave (which wasn't initially wired to the inverter anyway) draws 1100 watts and would not run off my old 750W inverter.
Good to know, thanks
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:52 AM   #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: BC
Posts: 16
Default SS Ideal Roadtrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
Great info, thanks much for responding.
Your SS Ideal comes across as one cool machine. The more I researched it the more I liked it. Two other questions please:
1) How easy is it to dump the tanks (these guys are RV newbies)?
2) How much of a drain factor could the propane driven generator be on the capacity of the onboard propane tank?
3) Will the 750 watt inverter run the microwave?
1) Easy and quick to dump. Unit has macerator pump with 1 1/2 inch pull out drain hose. No gloves, rinsing etc involved.
2) I don’t use generator much so can’t advise except to say the propane tank is significant size, I’d say at least size of 3 standard 20 lb tanks so I expect it would run the generator for significant time.
3) I believe the earlier reply saying No the inverter will not run the microwave is correct. We removed our microwave because we didn’t use it regularly and now have that big space for storage of other items.

I hope the person your friends are renting from will provide instruction on daily operation of systems on the unit.

One additional peculiarity of this unit and the Tripp Lite electric inverter (if it still has that inverter) is that when connecting to outside power to 15 amp 110 Volt GFI receptacle it will trigger the breaker in the receptacle unless the inverter is switched to “off” on the back of the inverter (under driver seat) before plugging in. Switch back on after connecting and alls fine. Others with this model have reported the same problem, one found another “work around” by setting switches on the electric panel above slide door in a certain way that I haven’t figured out. This problem does not occur when plugging into non-GFI 15 amp 110 receptacle or when using the larger 30 amp outside power connection.

Best Wishes !
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 02:00 PM   #9
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
1) Easy and quick to dump. Unit has macerator pump with 1 1/2 inch pull out drain hose. No gloves, rinsing etc involved.
2) I don’t use generator much so can’t advise except to say the propane tank is significant size, I’d say at least size of 3 standard 20 lb tanks so I expect it would run the generator for significant time.
3) I believe the earlier reply saying No the inverter will not run the microwave is correct. We removed our microwave because we didn’t use it regularly and now have that big space for storage of other items.

I hope the person your friends are renting from will provide instruction on daily operation of systems on the unit.

One additional peculiarity of this unit and the Tripp Lite electric inverter (if it still has that inverter) is that when connecting to outside power to 15 amp 110 Volt GFI receptacle it will trigger the breaker in the receptacle unless the inverter is switched to “off” on the back of the inverter (under driver seat) before plugging in. Switch back on after connecting and alls fine. Others with this model have reported the same problem, one found another “work around” by setting switches on the electric panel above slide door in a certain way that I haven’t figured out. This problem does not occur when plugging into non-GFI 15 amp 110 receptacle or when using the larger 30 amp outside power connection.

Best Wishes !
Agree with everything except the "no gloves" comment. Yes, the macerator is a convenient and clean(ish) way to dump, but the dump station flap still needs to be lifted and the hose-end is insterted a few inches into it. Plus, the hose drags where everyone else's hose has dragged. So just light, dispostable gloves are an essential carry item.
__________________

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×