Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2022, 08:35 PM   #1
Rok
Platinum Member

Default 2012 Sprinter: Getting access under dash/steering wheel

We own a 2013 Great West Legend SE that is built on a 2012 Sprinter 3500 chassis.

We are trying to get access behind a panel that is below the steering wheel.

We found stuff online to take off the first cover which is grey. (2 screws and pull an it's off.) Behind that is a more substantial black plastic sub-cover. We haven't found anything online on how to remove that panel.

If anyone could help us figure out how to get that black sub-panel/cover off we would very much appreciate it. We need to access that area to get to some 3rd party add-ons.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

.........Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Youtube has been my friend, but I assume you already consulted it for how to remove the outer panel?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:16 PM   #3
Rok
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Youtube has been my friend, but I assume you already consulted it for how to remove the outer panel?
Yes, it was great for the outer panel. We haven't found any information on the lower sub-panel however with many searches.

We have also called a number of service centers we've used in the past, and while we have received information on other things, no one has offered a how to on removing the black sub panel.

My guess is that it is just a matter of taking off a few screws, but I really want to make sure first. I think this kind of falls under the "measure twice cut once" axiom.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:48 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok View Post
We own a 2013 Great West Legend SE that is built on a 2012 Sprinter 3500 chassis.

We are trying to get access behind a panel that is below the steering wheel.

We found stuff online to take off the first cover which is grey. (2 screws and pull an it's off.) Behind that is a more substantial black plastic sub-cover. We haven't found anything online on how to remove that panel.

If anyone could help us figure out how to get that black sub-panel/cover off we would very much appreciate it. We need to access that area to get to some 3rd party add-ons.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

.........Rocky
On some occasion I used pars diagram do see drawings in order to figure out how to take things apart, could be helpful. Is it just panel or it is ducting?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:14 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok View Post
Yes, it was great for the outer panel. We haven't found any information on the lower sub-panel however with many searches.

We have also called a number of service centers we've used in the past, and while we have received information on other things, no one has offered a how to on removing the black sub panel.

My guess is that it is just a matter of taking off a few screws, but I really want to make sure first. I think this kind of falls under the "measure twice cut once" axiom.

If it is right below the steering column it may be the "knee knocker" bolster for collision protection so a search for that might be in order to try.

If you are messing around under and around the steering column you probably should disconnect all power from the van like in batteries. The last thing you want is to accidentally trigger the air bags.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 02:16 AM   #6
Rok
Platinum Member

It is a big black panel below the steering wheel. I don't think it has any ducting.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:23 AM   #7
Rok
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If it is right below the steering column it may be the "knee knocker" bolster for collision protection so a search for that might be in order to try.

If you are messing around under and around the steering column you probably should disconnect all power from the van like in batteries. The last thing you want is to accidentally trigger the air bags.
Thanks Booster!

I have located the battery disconnect plug and am now removing it while working on this stuff.

I tried some searches using "knee knocker", but found nothing.

We can see 4 of the 5 modules under that "knee knocker" panel. We think we have figured out where the 5th module is, and that is under the dash panel on the driver's side.

I managed to get it loose, but so far everything is slow going.

The folks at Great West used copious amounts of spray glue on everything, so parts that are supposed come off with a slight pull seem like there are more screws. And me being who I am, I don't tend to force things.

.......Rocky
Old 02-18-2022, 02:38 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Try looking for knee bolster, as that may be the specific term used by the manufacturers and manuals.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:31 AM   #9
Rok
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Try looking for knee bolster, as that may be the specific term used by the manufacturers and manuals.
Still nothing. I think it will just be a matter of taking off screws. There are some hits for MB Sprinter Knee Bolster, but google removes the "Sprinter" and shows info for other models. Apparently some MB cars have knee air bags.

Thanks again, Booster.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:23 PM   #10
Rok
Platinum Member

Here are some photos.

What I need to know now is/are:

(1) How to remove the black "Knee Knocker" under panel that is below the steering wheel, and
(2) How to remove the part of the dash in front of the driver (my hand is under it in the photo.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0349.jpg (187.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0350.jpg (159.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0351.jpg (194.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0352.jpg (188.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0354.jpg (185.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-18-2022, 10:08 PM   #11
Platinum Member

If I recall pictures this is a part of AC ducting. Why do you need to remove it, removal could require a complete removal of the cockpit. I converted 2013 from passenger to camper van and never touch the cockpit except radio installation.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:18 PM   #12
Platinum Member

See @ 17min. It is new van but I doubt manufacturing process has changed.

Old 02-19-2022, 12:32 AM   #13
Rok
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
If I recall pictures this is a part of AC ducting. Why do you need to remove it, removal could require a complete removal of the cockpit. I converted 2013 from passenger to camper van and never touch the cockpit except radio installation.

The part I'm referring to is the black plastic part in the first photo that has a little white "X" on it. All of the ducting and A/C stuff seems to be above that panel, cover, knee-knocker, or whatever you call it.

I watched that video you posted and it is one of the things that scared me or "us" since my wife is involved in this project. That video has made us proceed ever so slowly with this project using the utmost caution--probably a little too much, if the truth be told. But, at least we are not busting up stuff as we go along.

After seeing your question, I look another look at it, and upped my assessment from 99% sure that it doesn't have any ducting or A/C components attached to somewhere around 99.8% sure.

It appears to have nothing MB attached to it. It seems to be put there for the express purpose of providing a backing to the grey beauty cover shown in the last two photos.

That provides a void area behind it that is where some 3rd party outfitters put a bunch of Compustar type modules. I think we can see 4 of them behind that panel.
Old 02-19-2022, 12:45 AM   #14
Rok
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Why do you need to remove it
We need to change our communication for our Compustar style upgrade (Auto start, GPS tracking, event notification, security, etc.) from 3G to 4G.

So far we think we see 4 modules of that system in the void behind that panel. We don't think that the unit we need to replace is one of those four modules, but it probably needs to plug into one of them.

We think that the fifth (communication) module is up under the dash (the part I have my hand under in the second photo).

Our next step at this point is to remove that dash cover and see if we can find that communication module that we need to replace.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:02 AM   #15
Platinum Member

On several of the MB car videos they showed them taking that panel off by pushing in a screwdriver at two different points to release a couple of latches, your may be similar. In George's long ass'y video, it appeared that a great many of the panels and subpanels just snapped in and you not seeing fasteners would kind of make me think this is one of them.

On my 96 Roadmaster Buick the knocker is a plate of steel held on with 4 screws. All that it there for, I think, is to catch you if you slide out of the belt (submarine I think they call it) so don't get stuffed under the dash.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:01 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Your X on the first photo looks like is on the large plastic molded part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0349.jpg (345.9 KB, 6 views)