Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 10:31 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 2013 Roadtrek N6 battery box

JEEZE, I'm going to install 2 new batteries on this Roadtrek and have noticed that the pins that hold the box in place are rusted. WILL NOT move at all.
Why would Roadtrek not grease the heck out these pins and slots where the pins run through?? WHY??
Still say if the engineers had to work on things, there would be a LOT of changes??
Classic Vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Of course, maybe the engineers has the pins and slots designed with stainless steel, but marketing overroad them to reduce cost?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Still a shot of grease would have solved all issues???
Classic Vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Vans View Post
Still a shot of grease would have solved all issues???

I don't think so in most cases. We had the plain steel/plated slides in our 190 Chevy, and of course they corroded and stuck. I got them loose, cleaned and greased the moving parts and they stuck again in a year as the grease works it's way out around the balls and track very quickly. The only way that I could get them to continue working after cleaning was to totally cover all the surfaces with a thick layer of grease to keep out moisture and grit. When they got full of grit, I would wipe off the outside grease and reapply as the grease left was still clean. If you have ungreased slides they will corrode and if you grease them they will get grit in them and lock up, especially in a ventilated box in behind the rear wheel like ours were. Fully covering them with grease is very messy, though.

When I upgraded our batteries and made a new box for them, I used stainless steel slides with a bit of greaseless lube and never had an issue with them.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote