Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: Winnebago Travato

Compares more to the older style pre-2007 Sprinters in style and size than a Chevy. Isn't the Promaster a unibody like the Sprinter?

Promaster Spec Info
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Good point and great link for info about the Ram ProMaster.
-------------------------------------------
Winnebago Travato quick links:
Preliminary Specifications
Main Photos, Photos 2, Photos 3, Photos 4
Videos
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #23
Platinum Member

In the specs given from lichensinn- it says 6 feet eight inches wide. is that possible-or is that with mirrors extended?
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
In the specs given from lichensinn- it says 6 feet eight inches wide. is that possible-or is that with mirrors extended?
I would think that would be without mirrors, as it is the same as the Sprinters. I think the Chevies are 7 feet without mirrors. They all go quite a bit bigger with mirrors.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Ford 85 inches wide. Chevy 82 inches wide. So width is ok. It appears to me the model we are looking at has rear corner bed / corner bath. I have always liked that lay out personally but would want a rear door window on the bed side. I know from outside that would look funky but it would be too cave like without it.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

It's a nice (finally) distraction from the E-Trek, eh?
One of these would struggle to pull the E-Trek's maximum battery bank, I'm thinking.
That specs chart in at the AllPar website seems to indicate the Travato's chassis and engine aren't that much different from the Sprinter in size, GVWR, and power, unless I'm misreading it? Fuel economy in the Sprinter has to be the better of the two.
Wonder what Ford will come up with?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Ford 85 inches wide. Chevy 82 inches wide. So width is ok. It appears to me the model we are looking at has rear corner bed / corner bath. I have always liked that lay out personally but would want a rear door window on the bed side. I know from outside that would look funky but it would be too cave like without it.
I am with you on the window thing. It looks like the entire rear just has one little window, which would make it very cave like. The first B we looked at was a Vista Cruiser with the permanent bed (plastic window extensions), which had very few windows. It was very claustrophobic.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #28
Platinum Member

A window in the sleeping area isn't high up on the priority list for me. We don't have picture windows in the bedrooms in our house, either. I don't think it would be a show stopper for us, and might give some "nice to have" additional privacy in that area, depending on the rest of the layout.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #29
Platinum Member

There are no windows in the rear doors of my van. It was one of the things I thought I'd change first but won't bother now that we've lived with it. I've come to appreciate the advantages; keeping the sun/heat out, security, privacy and darker for sleeping. We close window curtains at night for privacy and darkness for sleeping. Mostly that area in my van is used for sleeping. We cook and eat and live outdoors as much as possible.

It is the sleeping area in the Travato. The Travato's living area is up front where there are lots of windows. No table in the rear in the Travato - it has the permanent dinette in the front.

It does come down to preferences though. Actually - first impressions - for lots of folks.

Do you think you could drive this one off a dealer lot for less than $80,000? $75,000? Lower?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Interesting to hear folks comments on the windows. We do like Marco and cook and live outside as much as possible, but I think we would miss the rear windows a lot (but have never tried one without). Our permanent bed is the staging area for all the happens during the day, with our smaller clothes bags on it, and other things we will using that day like bike clothes, water packs, etc, so the lack of windows would seem to matter. The other thing this brings to mind is the access to the bed would make it harder to do our routine. Our bed has the center area of the foot open to the aisle so it is easy to get to all of it. Doing it all through a corner might be tougher. The rest of the layout may make it unnecessary to use the bed as we do.

Of course, we are nosy, and lazy, so we like to lie on the bed watching TV, and watch what is going on in the campground out all the windows!

I hope we get to see one in person, as DW is claustrophobic, and she will know as soon as she walks into it, if it would be too confining for her.

Odd------we do have an 8 foot long window in our bedroom at home, with a commanding view of the workshop (and some other things that are more scenic).

I wonder if the 9' tall spec is exact. If it is with AC and such, the height would be considerably less than a Sprinter, and would actually fit through our 9' 3" garage doors.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Three videos of the 2014 Winnebago Travato on Youtube:

Travato Video #1

[youtube:2ggj48dr]g-McBmgzIjg[/youtube:2ggj48dr]

Travato Video #2

[youtube:2ggj48dr]a5t6200VadU[/youtube:2ggj48dr]

Travato Video #3 Winnebago ERA is in the first half of the video and the Travato is in the second half.

[youtube:2ggj48dr]8aDAUDqxwcY[/youtube:2ggj48dr]

The fold up bed is innovative MSRP around $84,000 mean you could probably drive this home for less than $75,000 depending on your negotiating skills.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster

Of course, we are nosy, and lazy, so we like to lie on the bed watching TV, and watch what is going on in the campground out all the windows!

Odd------we do have an 8 foot long window in our bedroom at home, with a commanding view of the workshop (and some other things that are more scenic).

I wonder if the 9' tall spec is exact. If it is with AC and such, the height would be considerably less than a Sprinter, and would actually fit through our 9' 3" garage doors.
The "nosy" aspect is one part of camping we probably all do, so that would make a rear window a better proposition. Or, a periscope?

Our house is a modest bungalow, and we have multiple bedroom windows, with none bigger than 2' by 2', but I guess that's what we've always had, and are used to. I guess it has a lot to do with the view out the rear of the house, and larger isn't an advantage for us. If it were, we'd probably have French doors.

Luckily the forum Admin built his garage to accommodate a Sprinter sized RV, so he won't have to worry about that aspect of the Travato, should he purchase one. We have no garage, so we can handle a taller anything.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #33
Platinum Member

That hinged bed is a nice touch. Bath area looked typical. Cab looked a little crowded. The microwave was mounted fairly high up in the galley area, which seemed split across the mid-section of the van, which may or may not be an advantage? TV above the dinette, which may be a problem for folks who like to lounge in bed, and watch TV at the end of the day. Looks like it has a lot of storage potential, including the seat that backs onto the side door, if it's hollow. Would be a great transition spot from inside to outside for stuff.

I 'm not sure about the price at $84,000. I doubt they'll do to much damage to their Era sales at that number. Can't you get an Era for around the MSRP of the Travato?
I would have hoped for an MSRP around $70,000 with actual sales at closer to $60,000.
Oh well, there's me priced out of another market.....
Old 05-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #34
Platinum Member

ERA msrp is more like $100,000 but getting 15% off seems common hence the $85,000 for a ERA that we're accustomed to.
Travato at $84,000 less 15% = $71,400 Winnebago will really have to ramp up production to keep up with demand I'd expect.

I like the ability to carry bikes inside I'd probably make up the front bed for a quick overnight rest and keep the bikes inside. I'd put the bikes outside for longer stays.

Videos
Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #35
Platinum Member

All in all, I am not impressed with the design. It seems rather klunky to me and not fully worked out. It might appeal to a toy hauler but the tilt up bed is not all that functional forcing you to choose modes and obviously would have to store stuff outside to sleep (bikes, furniture, etc.) and that would not be good in a stealth situation like a Walmart. The bed width cannot be all that wide maybe 54" at best. The ottoman blocking the door opening is kind of a bummer. The dining table seems to be a Rube Goldberg contraption. What is it with converters? Keep things simple with the tables. Do you have to shove the front seats forward to make this functional? It looks like it. If so, that is a non-starter. I like the windows and openess of my Sprinter. This Travato looks like a home conversion or Sportsmobile like conversion at best.

Considering they won't even be delivering these vans until later this year I suspect this is just a first prototype attempt to get feedback. Price obviously puts it back in competition with the Chevys. I'll pass.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Front seats would swivel to face the rear I'm sure. That is actually an option on the Ram ProMaster van.
I'm already imagining the things you could bring home in that van with the bed folded up.
New gigantic flat screen TV for the house, 6' tall potted plants from the plant nursery, lumber & plywood etc. for home projects. Very handy

And, with the bed down things like golf club bags, chairs etc.... No problem.

Edit: Front seats do rotate (from the Specifications List )
Quote:
15. Front seats that rotate to become integral living components
Old 05-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
ERA msrp is more like $100,000 but getting 15% off seems common hence the $85,000 for a ERA that we're accustomed to.
Travato at $84,000 less 15% = $71,400 Winnebago will really have to ramp up production to keep up with demand I'd expect.

I like the ability to carry bikes inside I'd probably make up the front bed for a quick overnight rest and keep the bikes inside. I'd put the bikes outside for longer stays.
I also like the bikes inside capabilities. They get filthy outside when traveling with them on the back, and are prone to disappear, too. The higher quality the bike, the bigger both issues become. I go back and forth with the folding mountain bike. Sometimes I put it away at night, sometimes I leave it out. It would be a bit of pain to put a bike in a have to fold up the bed, and move what is on it, each time, you went somewhere. I worry more about the bike outside while we are gone on day trips than overnight.

The storage to use changeover really isn't all that much different than what Great West does with their sliding couch in the rear, which slides forward to allow bigger items to be stored while you are moving. You have to remove them to use the bed, or with the couch back for legroom. Same choice as to having them in or out, but they have to be out to sleep. Daytrips, either way.

The passenger seat in the video was way forward, swivel? Did seem a bit tight up front.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #38
Platinum Member

The GWVan legend and the Advanced RV extended 24 ft. Sprinters have designs so you have the space behind the sofa to store bikes and still put the sofa down as a bed I believe.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #39
Platinum Member

All indications are that there will be an entire line of Class B's under the Winnebago Touring Coach "brand". The ERA site now redirects to http://winnebagotouring.com/

Quote:
Class B motorhomes that offer the biggest bang for your buck.
The Travato was introduced to dealers at the Dealer Days Event in Las Vegas. This was not a public RV show but this new Class B has still generated excitement. Word of it got out quickly.

This is really fun. And remember this comment from Pleasure-Way http://www.pleasureway.com :

Quote:
Dean Rumpel, CEO of Pleasure-Way Industries. “As new chassis products such as the Ford Transit and Chrysler ProMaster Van start to enter into market later this year, it is an exciting time to be a Class B manufacturer.”
No doubt they'll come out with some new models. I'm sure some of the others will follow Winnebago in introducing new models whether on the Mercedes Sprinter, Ford Transit or Ram ProMaster chassis. The venerable Chevy Express based Class B van days are likely numbered though. Why add a fiberglass high roof when 3 other brands come from the manufacturer with a steel high roof already?

Winnebago's first offering in this new era (no pun intended) has set a high bar in terms of features and price. Very exciting times. The Hershey show in September and the Tampa show early next year should be great for Class B RV enthusiasts.

Videos
Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #40
Platinum Member

It will be very interesting indeed, and probably survival of the fittest, too. With more van choices, and more new models to chose from, I think we will quickly learn just how big, or small, the B market is, and how many models it can support. I agree about the Chevy heading quickly toward extinction, by I sure will miss being able to get something that isn't so tall, with an AC sitting on top. GM needs to get with the program, or they will be totally out of the van business.