Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #121
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay
Default First Travato Still Pic Video

Posted this morning by Lichtsinn Motors. Ron says November starts delivery to his dealer. 2 exterior colors, 2 interior colors with one wood finish at this time......

[youtube:a224ld2w]JFCIcs2He_g[/youtube:a224ld2w]

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #122
Platinum Member

Default Re: First Travato Still Pic Video

actually seems better than when partial look initially. still need to see the front bed made.

msrp 85,000.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #123
Platinum Member

I wonder what the real drive-out price of the rig will be, after all is said and done. Looks interesting, but before I go and buy one, I'm going to see what Sportsmobile can offer. Its floor plan is OK for one person, but there are others which are better at maximizing space, although most of the European ones mean one will be sleeping transversely... but with the few inches of width the ProMaster has over other vans, this may be a workable solution.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #124
Platinum Member

as i read the info it's water heater is only 120 volt. is that correct
Old 09-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #125
Platinum Member

Made this same reply on another forum, but after seeing this video and hearing the specs and measurements, I see this as more of a competitor to the Chevy & Ford class B's than the Sprinter....

Old 09-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #126
Platinum Member

I agree - I don't see it as competition for Sprinter Class B's.
I think it competes against the Roadtrek Ranger in terms of price. The Pleasure-Way Lexor and Roadtrek 190 Chevy's have been very successful and appeal to many buyers.

The near vertical sides and high roof of the ProMaster should give the feeling of much more space than regular body Chevy based Class B's.

The website - http://winnebagotouring.com/products/2014 - now shows base MSRP $84,039
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #127
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
as i read the info it's water heater is only 120 volt. is that correct

Yes...

Old 09-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #128
Platinum Member

So you have to be plugged in or run the generator for hot water.
Thinking about it - running the generator regularly for hot water has hidden benefits. You are "exercising" the Onan without thinking about it and it charges the Group 31 deep-cycle battery in the Travato at the same time. Owners will be spared the "gunked" up Onan carb from non-use that we hear about and always have juice in the battery

The Travato under-bed space and/or flip up bed makes it a mini Toy Hauler. You could probably slide a kayak under that bed. Flip the bed up and you could load 6' tall shrubs from a plant nursery.

The feature I like best is the always ready dinette. No setting up a table to have lunch or put a laptop on.

See how easily I could sell myself a Travato if I focus on the positives
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #129
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I'd be concerned about power to weight. 280HP and 260lb/ft torque might be a little lean for what is probably a pretty heavy van loaded up. Don't plan on winning any races.
The fresh tank under the dinette seat (good idea, I think) should put it on the same level as the water heater, which was one of the things that always puzzled me about having it below decks on most other class B vans. How easy is it to run your water heater partially or completely dry if the tank drains as your fresh water gets used up? Shouldn't happen, but who knows?
As for not competing with Sprinters, I'm not sure why not? They seem to be as well equipped and spacious as most of the full sized Sprinter conversions I've ever seen, and the price point is thousands less. So, I wouldn't bet the farm on it not competing. If you can afford a Sprinter conversion, and you think the difference in quality is worth the money (or you just like the MB badging ), you'll probably spend the extra money. However, if faced with a choice of a Travato or something costing as much as $30K-$40K more, I'd have to consider the Promaster chassis, previous power to weight concerns considered. I can buy a lot of other "stuff" with the price difference. Including possibly the Promaster diesel version if/when available.
I do like that sideways flip up bed to clear the rear area for other purposes. I could see sleeping either way, north/south or east/west.
just my opinions.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #130
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I do like that sideways flip up bed to clear the rear area for other purposes. I could see sleeping either way, north/south or east/west.
I think that bed is only 46" wide, which is probably one of the weakest points of the design, so sleeping across would mean severe fetal position, I think :P
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #131
Platinum Member

I meant the cat. He's only 3 feet long, fully extended.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #132
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Thinking about it - running the generator regularly for hot water has hidden benefits. You are "exercising" the Onan without thinking about it and it charges the Group 31 deep-cycle battery in the Travato at the same time. Owners will be spared the "gunked" up Onan carb from non-use that we hear about and always have juice in the battery

The Travato under-bed space and/or flip up bed makes it a mini Toy Hauler. You could probably slide a kayak under that bed. Flip the bed up and you could load 6' tall shrubs from a plant nursery.

The feature I like best is the always ready dinette. No setting up a table to have lunch or put a laptop on.

Gas generator (on the gas engine model) I'm assuming (2.8KW QG?). Shared fuel source simplifies that part of pre-departure inventory. Saves propane for furnace/cooktop and/or possibly allows for a smaller on board propane tank/supply.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #133
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo

as long as your someplace that lets you run the generator-2800 onan is LOUD

propane tankis 6gallons but at 80percent 4.8 gallons propane. just enough for frig/stove?
Old 09-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #134
Platinum Member

Right about the 2800 Onan. It is loud. With the fresh tank inside the van (under the dinette seat) it might not take too long to warm up some water for showers or dishes or whatever which would reduce the generator run time.
That's probably lots for furnace/fridge/cooktop. My tank (45lbs. around 10USgal?) still shows full, and we've used the fridge and furnace on propane more than a few times in the last 3 years. I think I filled it about 3+ years ago.
Maybe my gauge is broken?
Old 09-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #135
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'd be concerned about power to weight. 280HP and 260lb/ft torque might be a little lean for what is probably a pretty heavy van loaded up. Don't plan on winning any races.
The fresh tank under the dinette seat (good idea, I think) should put it on the same level as the water heater, which was one of the things that always puzzled me about having it below decks on most other class B vans. How easy is it to run your water heater partially or completely dry if the tank drains as your fresh water gets used up? Shouldn't happen, but who knows?
As for not competing with Sprinters, I'm not sure why not? They seem to be as well equipped and spacious as most of the full sized Sprinter conversions I've ever seen, and the price point is thousands less. So, I wouldn't bet the farm on it not competing. If you can afford a Sprinter conversion, and you think the difference in quality is worth the money (or you just like the MB badging ), you'll probably spend the extra money. However, if faced with a choice of a Travato or something costing as much as $30K-$40K more, I'd have to consider the Promaster chassis, previous power to weight concerns considered. I can buy a lot of other "stuff" with the price difference. Including possibly the Promaster diesel version if/when available.
just my opinions.
Mike, the more I think about it the more I agree with your engine assessment. We have this engine in our 2012 Jeep Wrangler. It's a sweet running engine that's for sure, (and I'm a GM guy). The issue is being a 4 cammer, the power isn't there until 2500 rpm and up. Especially the up part. Once it gets going, say 3500 on up, it runs like a scalded dog. You can really feel the torque take over when it gets up in that rpm vicinity.
Now being the Travato has a 6 spd auto vs a 5 spd in our Jeep, that might make a difference. But, you're still going to have that gas engine pulling power situation going up mountains vs a diesel.
I still don't think these are a true large Sprinter class B competitor. I think if it is, it'll be the short version, say like the Roadtrek SS Agile that people will cross shop against.
Also look at the tank sizes compared to the longer Sprinters, (except the black tank).

Old 09-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #136
Platinum Member

i think the promaster will be a great sportsmobile van
Old 09-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #137
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
Quote:
just my opinions.
Mike, the more I think about it the more I agree with your engine assessment. We have this engine in our 2012 Jeep Wrangler. It's a sweet running engine that's for sure, (and I'm a GM guy). The issue is being a 4 cammer, the power isn't there until 2500 rpm and up. Especially the up part. Once it gets going, say 3500 on up, it runs like a scalded dog. You can really feel the torque take over when it gets up in that rpm vicinity.
Now being the Travato has a 6 spd auto vs a 5 spd in our Jeep, that might make a difference. But, you're still going to have that gas engine pulling power situation going up mountains vs a diesel.
I still don't think these are a true large Sprinter class B competitor. I think if it is, it'll be the short version, say like the Roadtrek SS Agile that people will cross shop against.
Also look at the tank sizes compared to the longer Sprinters, (except the black tank).
I mentioned it for two reasons. The first is the screaming engine (4,175rpms) trying to hit the torque curve, and the second is I'm concerned that the gas engine version will still struggle uphill even when it gets there. I could be wrong on that. Time, and some actual owner's comments, will shed some light on that issue (or non-issue, I hope).
I'm not so sure the tank capacities would be as much of a show stopper for most buyers, as much as the price difference between the ERA and the Travato, for example. I think some current Dodge/Ford/Chev owners might like the slightly shorter overall length at 20'11' than some of the longer 24' Sprinter models, but that's another personal preference sort of thing. Probably not a show stopper. At 101" tall, they would be drive thru capable unless (I suspect) that doesn't include the roof A/C unit. Could be another minor perk for the Travato.
But the price (so far) is probably the most notable difference between it and an extended body Sprinter. It should compete with the shorter existing Sprinters, but it might take some market share from the big Sprinter makes, just on price alone. It will be interesting to see how Winnebago's numbers skew after a year of selling both chassis types?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #138
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
Quote:
just my opinions.
I mentioned it for two reasons. The first is the screaming engine (4,175rpms) trying to hit the torque curve, and the second is I'm concerned that the gas engine version will still struggle uphill even when it gets there. I could be wrong on that. Time, and some actual owner's comments, will shed some light on that issue (or non-issue, I hope).
I'm not so sure the tank capacities would be as much of a show stopper for most buyers, as much as the price difference between the ERA and the Travato, for example. I think some current Dodge/Ford/Chev owners might like the slightly shorter overall length at 20'11' than some of the longer 24' Sprinter models, but that's another personal preference sort of thing. Probably not a show stopper. At 101" tall, they would be drive thru capable unless (I suspect) that doesn't include the roof A/C unit. Could be another minor perk for the Travato.
But the price (so far) is probably the most notable difference between it and an extended body Sprinter. It should compete with the shorter existing Sprinters, but it might take some market share from the big Sprinter makes, just on price alone. It will be interesting to see how Winnebago's numbers skew after a year of selling both chassis types?

mike, 101 inches is the height of the van itself. it does not include AC. a sportsmobile with an underfloor AC(danhard) would take care of your height needs.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #139
Platinum Member

Yeah, i figured it didn't include the A/C but the note 1 on the spec sheet wasn't specific, just vaguely suggested optional equipment might alter the height. Some (yes, even me) might assume A/C isn't optional and is included in the overall height. I thought the wording implied A/C is included in the height.

"1 The height of each model is measured to the top of the tallest standard feature and is based on the curb weight of a typically equipped unit. The actual height of your vehicle may vary by several inches depending on chassis or equipment variations. Please contact your dealer for further information."
Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #140
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, i figured it didn't include the A/C but the note 1 on the spec sheet wasn't specific, just vaguely suggested optional equipment might alter the height. Some (yes, even me) might assume A/C isn't optional and is included in the overall height. I thought the wording implied A/C is included in the height.

"1 The height of each model is measured to the top of the tallest standard feature and is based on the curb weight of a typically equipped unit. The actual height of your vehicle may vary by several inches depending on chassis or equipment variations. Please contact your dealer for further information."
maybe i'm wrong-but the stats on the promaster on sportsmobile website says the high top van is 101 inches.