Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default 2015 Express 1500 back up camera dark

I have a 2016 Roadtrek 190 Popular on a 2015 Express chassis.

My backup camera is really dark, to the point of being unusable.

The lens is clear. I cannot find an adjustment. I cannot find anything on any of the forums.

I have two choices: Order a new camera or put in an aftermarket. Given that I'd be gambling with a new camera, the aftermarket seems the right choice. Plus, if towing I can watch the toad.

Anyone experience this?

Thanks,
Steve
SteveWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWolf View Post
I have a 2016 Roadtrek 190 Popular on a 2015 Express chassis.

My backup camera is really dark, to the point of being unusable.

The lens is clear. I cannot find an adjustment. I cannot find anything on any of the forums.

I have two choices: Order a new camera or put in an aftermarket. Given that I'd be gambling with a new camera, the aftermarket seems the right choice. Plus, if towing I can watch the toad.

Anyone experience this?

Thanks,
Steve
It's unfortunate that during their Chevy builds that Roadtrek does't move the license plate camera topside where it belongs. If you're still within the chassis warranty period, Chevy should repair it.

The problem you are having may well be a a camera issue but you can't rule out that the display is the problem.

IMO, you should opt for a digital wireless infared equipped unit which lets you locate the camera where it belongs. Also the after market units permit the display to function even when moving forward. You'll of course need power for the camera which on the 190 can be picked off the marker light wires found behind the AC screen. That does require having the marker lights on when using the camera but I don't think that's a big deal. For camera viewing angle I would choose a viewing angle no greater than 120 degrees to mitigate the "things may be closer than they appear" syndrome.

Tadi Bros. is a big player in aftermarket cameras and their website contains a lot of useful information about the different choices available.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:48 AM   #3
Gold Member

We have a tablet mounted on an adjustable bracket off the dash somewhat above the heater/AC controls with Waze, OSM GPS mapping and Maps as well as a Garmin Pilot aviation GPS app. It cost $55 to buy a backup camera to mount where-ever we chose and a wireless transmitter giving us a massive color backup camera display on the tablet using the app that came with the camera. Cheap. The camera has connectors that mate to the transmitter receptacle so all I needed to do was connect a power lead to a backup light and a ground wire plus install the app off the internet. If I were to do it again I might pull power from under the dash with a switch and run the power wire under the Roadtrek to the camera. Currently there is a 15 second delay from selecting reverse for the camera image to show up, (annoying).
BJ 2004 Roadtrek 190 Ruidoso
Bjones7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
Silver Member

Default BINGO! That's the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones7788 View Post
We have a tablet mounted on an adjustable bracket ... as well as a Garmin Pilot ....
BJ 2004 Roadtrek 190 Ruidoso
JUST FRIGGIN EXACTLY THE EXPERIENCE I WAS LOOKING FOR!!! What a great idea! BINGO!

I happen to have a Garmin Virb camera I used to use in the plane. I might have wing-mounting hardware that would work with the Roadtrek (the Box). And running an aviation app at the same time! Friggin' awesome! I use Avare as Garmin poked me in the wrong place when their electronics failed three days out of warranty. I now run a Raspberri Pi running Stratux feeding Avare. I could do the same for the Box. I can use the same tablets!

You have given me something to think about while driving all the way to the Outer Banks this weekend! I'm pretty excited about this. With a few lines of Python I can record the video. I might suck in ADSB weather when close to a ground station. Yeah!

Thank you BJ!
SteveWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #5
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWolf View Post
JUST FRIGGIN EXACTLY THE EXPERIENCE I WAS LOOKING FOR!!! What a great idea! BINGO!

I happen to have a Garmin Virb camera I used to use in the plane. I might have wing-mounting hardware that would work with the Roadtrek (the Box). And running an aviation app at the same time! Friggin' awesome! I use Avare as Garmin poked me in the wrong place when their electronics failed three days out of warranty. I now run a Raspberri Pi running Stratux feeding Avare. I could do the same for the Box. I can use the same tablets!

You have given me something to think about while driving all the way to the Outer Banks this weekend! I'm pretty excited about this. With a few lines of Python I can record the video. I might suck in ADSB weather when close to a ground station. Yeah!

Thank you BJ!
Steve, I got a real kick out of your - Bingo- enthusiastic response to my post.
And it brought a couple of questions to mind about your experiences with Avware, Stratus and Pi computer ADS B.
If you are up for a short brain picking catch up with me off the ClassB site drjones7788@gmail.com or texting 443-480-1023 Thanks Bob
Bjones7788 is offline   Reply With Quote