Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2020, 01:46 AM   #1

Default 2015 Roadtrek RS E-Trek - Avoid it? or Consider it?

It's a very simple question and would love some Response ..

I've seen some good posts about the E-Trek but Mostly Bad Posts. I think this
is because most come to forums to figure out and/or complain about problems. Right?

But I'm looking at a E-Trek, 2nd Owner, with low miles, 23k.
It's a RS E-trek w/8 AGM Batteries and a 5000w Inverter.

The batteries were replaced at 8k by the dealer and sold the unit to the 2nd Owner. He's put 15k on it and is moving on from class B's. He's had Zero problems with the rig.

I can't find anything wrong with it.

So I'm going to put it to a test tomorrow. Boil some water on the induction, Crank up the convection oven to 425. Run the lights, the fridge and even thinking of running a 1500 watt space heater.

So, 9600 Watt Hours in the batteries should net about an hour running the inverter at 4000 watts ... right? Maybe a little more? Will the inverter shut off at low (half) battery? Will it Beep a Warning? I'll run through the Docs while I'm Sweating away in the RV.

Afterwards, what's the best way to test the charge? On the 24v Generator or with Shore Power?

Any other quirky things to check out in a 2015 RT RSEM E-TREK?

Love the Webasto Heater ... the unit is winterized so I can't test the water system... any issues with Webasto Water Heater?

Thx in Advance --- New to the Forum !!
DAVE_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

A simple response to your initial simple question (from the owner of a 2013 E-Trek that has served me well) - yes, I’d consider it. Make sure it has a battery equalizer installed, which is highly likely if the owner has had “zero problems.” The Webasto diesel-fueled heat/hot water system has been very reliable. I’d be skittish about buying without testing the plumbing under pressure and the Webasto water-heating functions. Good luck.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #3

Thx Arlo, glad to hear it..
Old 02-27-2020, 05:37 PM   #4

Default Roadtrek 2015

I have a 2015 ETrek also. While the Webasto heater is a good unit, I have had problems resulting from a failed drain valve. Replaced valve and unit never worked properly. Chased a solution and will pick up unit from dealer in NC with $2,200 repair bill. I think problem stemmed from failure of FL dealer to drain water aftfer each use. Unit sold 2 years after dealer first received unit. It's important to manually drain water after each use to prevent mineral build-up inside the dump valve. Also, need to check to make sure the water lines to the Webasto are installed properly to avoid CO from entering the system's return air duct. This is a safety recall stemming from Roadtrek bankruptcy. Also, if you have second-row captain's chair, they are involved in a recall because they failed a safety test. for more info, contact me at hvictry@sc.rr.com
hvictry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:41 PM   #5

Default Etrek

We just sold our 2015 Etrek, to dealer, so we took a big hit.

Some of the things to check for, especially since no RT warranty:

Has battery equalizer been installed? This was to address the unequal battery charging because of the 12V/24V house bank setup.

Has Underhood GU Bracket been replaced with newer HD designed bracket. This was to address poor belt alignment and some cracking issues.

Does unit have the 2 extra captains seats? Seats failed Federal Safety Requirements. No current repairs, although rumored Rapido may be making design change (but at owner cost) Our seats were removed and replaced with factory optional cabinets prior to bankruptcy. Rapido should still have the cabinets specs.

There was a recall for the Webasto water heater duct work. And there were MB recalls for the airbags.

We really enjoyed out RT, just found another class B more suitable to our needs.
Adagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:01 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Wonderful rig! The second row seat recall is likely to cost $1000+ to fix so I’d use that as a negotiAting point.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:24 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Etrek

We have a 2015 etrek with 8 AGM s. We bought it used 16 months ago and have put 20 thousand plus miles on it with no serious problems. We usually camp without hookups. The solar panel seems to handle the fridge indefinitely and the under hood generator recharges fully since we don't park for long periodically. We love it.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:22 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Download manuals for your components, particularly the webasto heater. There are error codes and how to fix the problem. things like low voltage or low diesel can shut the unit off, but are quick easy fixes. Our unit came with a bunch of manuals for things it doesn't have and no manual for things it does.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:31 AM   #9
Bronze Member

Default RE: Batteries

If it doesn't have a battery equalizer, you can still put one in yourself. I did and RT basically copied all the parts and installation. Mine installation was placed closer to the battery banks to have a shorter cable run. RT placed their equalizer above the rear driver side wheel well (under the side seat in the CS model Ethel). One thing I would check is the voltage of each battery when disconnected . They should be with .05 volts of each other. If that is the case, you don't have an issue at this time. The equalizer would help maintain equal voltages.

If the batteries voltages are not equal, you will likely have to replace the batteries or do a load test to be certain they are good. However, I personally would replace all the batteries because you want the batteries to be in similar condition. Replacing all eight batteries would be a significant cost plus about $300 dollars to get the parts for the equalizer (as I recall). I have photos of my installation, should you decide to go that route.
hdevera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #10
Gold Member

I would be interested to know if you went ahead with this purchase. If you did I would encourage you to invest the time to understand the electrical system's behaviors. I have been on somewhat of a crash course since becoming aware of this forum and now understand that there are several operator error's which will quickly create battery issues. These are enabled by the underlying components, not just the wiring.

This for instance should theoretically never happen, but as a new owner I created the situation and did not appreciate it's implication.

Sorry! several failed attempts to insert a picture of the inverter reading a battery level of 44%.

I think the battery balancer may reduce the chance of this happening, but may not prevent it. I don't know, because I don't have one and can't test it.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:02 PM   #11

Default Bought It !!

Yes .. I've done a lot of testing in my driveway ... practice Camping !!

With Covid, really haven't had the chance to venture very far !

So ... Here's the update ... One big issue .. see the end ...

Batteries look good ... got about 4 hours of AC before before Light #2, about 57% battery life. About 3 hours when it was 95 degrees tho. And yes .. Battery Balancer is installed.

I'm charging with 15 amp shore power .. it occasionally trips my home's fuse. I bought a shorter (25' vs 50') 12g Extension cord and it hasn't tripped yet ... I expect it to, though. I may eventually pop for a 30amp circuit ... not sure.

I've cycled this about 15 times in my driveway so Batteries look good.

Everything else works great. De-winterized and and everything drains and pumps as normal.

Webasto Heater fired right up for late spring heating and recently for hot water. All Good.

All lights and cabinets are solid.

Put a Laguna Table mount on the rear passenger ottoman using the bed conversion plank as the table. Just easier and more flexible.

Not a big fan of the sound system --- old tech -- needs to be replaced.

I replaced the TV with a 32" Smart TV and SoundBar and added a second (less noisy) inverter for it in the media cabinet. Depending on what I'm doing I can then use either inverter.

Finally, we have an XL, so I built a cabinet behind the rear recliner to hold a rolled-up memory foam mattress, pillows, blankets, etc. Took several attempts but finally got it to work!

So .. The Big Issue ... Well 1 big ... and 1 small.

1. Uhhhggg .. The under hood generator is not Working ... and maybe the forum can help... Yeah, I run the batts down to 2 lights and then do a drive\errands for an hour or so and Nada!! I crawled under the rig and checked the belt and all seems ok but no charging? Any ideas? Any Idea how to test it to see if it's ok or if something else down the line like a fuse or switch is the culprit.

2. Not so huge but I'm at 18.6k miles and schedule A maintenance is due at 20k ... I think I'm going to do it myself ... thoughts?

THX THX

DB
Old 07-09-2020, 12:12 AM   #12
Gold Member

Congrats! You have been busy!

If you run the batteries down to two lights above the slider you will no longer have enough current to run the ZLPower inverter. If you turn the inverter on, you should get the 05 "Low Battery" code. Now if you start the engine and see if the inverter turns on with the engine running you will know if the generator is producing current. If it is, it will be enough to run the inverter.

I believe, the ProVista Solar Controller is tied in at the junction box At night with no solar or engine running it should show battery level. If you turn the engine on it may show current level flowing from the generator.

At two lights the batteries are quite low and it will take some time driving to get enough charge back in to run the inverter. When the lights above the door show full, you may still be below the battery charge level needed to run the inverter. Check the LCD display on the inverter. When you turn it on the battery level needs to be above 52%.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:22 AM   #13
Gold Member

Default Missing Battery Maintenance Manual

I have summarized my current understanding of how to take care of the E-Trek batteries in the attached document. It is a continual work in progress as I try to come up to speed on how to best take care of the AGM batteries. It appears both Lithium and AGM batteries need to be coddled for different reasons.

I don't have the knowledge to do much engine maintenance and am now probably too old to learn! I have always looked at it as a pay me now or pay me later proposition. Others more capable might give you advice.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2015 E-Trek Battery Maintenance Manual v1.1.pdf (6.13 MB, 42 views)
Old 07-09-2020, 06:29 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Johnny,

I do not have a Roadtrek E-Trek but I do own a couple of 12 volt, 100 amp hour Lifeline AGM Batteries & I must applaud you for the effort putting that Manual together.

Lifeline us a fantastic company, their parent company produces a lot of high end solutions to our Military & the Lifeline Batteries have no equal but for Victron.

Until my DC Fridge arrives in the next few weeks & ever since I have had 250 watts of Solar my deepest discharge was only 36 amp hours.

(Not including the one time I turned my 3 Way Fridge onto DC one night by accident & my batteries were down 96 amps before I realized).

Again, Thank You for the Manual & for talking about the value in running the Lifeline batteries down to 50% or more & having them bounce back with the exercise & intelligent charging.
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #15
Gold Member

Doc, thanks for your kind comments. Writing things down has helped me organize what I gleaned from the knowledge available from others. As a first time owner, of what is a complex system, I made every mistake possible along the way! I hope to keep this as a work in process so that, when the time comes for me to pass my E-Trek along, I will be able to given the new owner the information they need to get maximum use out of it.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I suggest starting a new thread but shorter like;

Getting the most Performance & Life out of your Roadtrek ETrek Battery System

And if you haven't already, get this FREE PDF from Victron which is a Treatise on Batteries.

https://www.victronenergy.com/orderbook

Above you can order the pdf or hardcover of the book ENERGY UNLIMITED written by Victron's owner - the information is invaluable for beginners & intermediate users us there is more advanced stuff in there.
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #17

Wow!

... Thanks Johnny,

Really informative ...

I do have questions ... how can can we communicate more efficiently, email?

Tags
2015 roadtrek e-trek