Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2015, 10:02 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2016 Winnebago Travato specs are out...

Those are not dinette seats. They are single beds in the 59k. I hope to see one soon and try out those beds.59k just made for 2.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:11 PM   #22
Bronze Member

Yes I think it's a great layout. Unfortunately I need extra seatbelts for my dogs' harnesses...
bkroczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:11 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkroczak
Yes I think it's a great layout. Unfortunately I need extra seatbelts for my dogs' harnesses...
Just a thought--there are very strict rules for seatbelts in vehicles, and that is why we often don't see them places we would like. They do that to prevent folks from legally riding there. As far as I know, there are no rules like that for dogs It would seem like it would be very easy to rig up a non seatbelt compliant "harness support belt", that wouldn't work with or be legal for, people.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:14 AM   #24
Bronze Member

I've considered doing that - not sure exactly how though. Will have to look.
bkroczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovanman
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitrv
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovanman
Also does fitrv know if they will offer a rhino lined or similarly coated plastic bumper treatment instead of painted bumpers.

JP

p.s. Now if they could just get a convection microwave or gas oven in the 59g.
Don't know about rhino lining, but that would be easy enough to add on your own if you really wanted it.
Convection microwave is a bit bigger. No room for it in the G.
Thanks.

They showed one recently at a show.. is why I ask.
Did I see a full length running board in this photo? Wonder whether it runs all the way to the passenger door.

I had done a significant amount of research on the 59G via the Internet, including reading and viewing almost all of the postings and highly informative videos of Wincrasher (thanks). I liked the 59G so much that I had even started to negotiate a purchasing price with a local dealer, sight unseen.

With the prelimary negotiation already done, my wife and I finally went to see the Travato 59G (2015) in person last week. Our intention was to complete the purchasing process that very same day until we found out that my wife was unable to climb into the passenger's seat. She has two bad knees and there was no running board below the passenger door. Even the electric step below the side door was not large and sturdy enough to provide her much help.

This eventually became one of the key factors preventing us from buying the 59G. We had heard that Winnebago was "experimenting" with a longer running board but couldn't find out anything on the timing. So we decided to move on and selected another B, also a Winnebago, a couple days later. Darn...
s.k. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Adding steps etc... is such an easy work around I'm surprised you gave up that quickly. Oh well I hope you enjoy your new rig. Happy Travels.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:23 AM   #27

Thanks, stanw909, I am sure we will enjoy the new rig!

Btw, the unit that we ended up buying is an 2016 ERA 70A, just arrived at the dealer's lot a couple days after our first visit. Besides the strong and permanent full length running board, my wife said that she also likes a number of other aspects of the 70A better than the 2015 59G that we originally came to see. When my wife is happy I am happy too! Plus, I think we are getting a pretty decent deal, paying only about $11 k more than the 2015 59G.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:32 AM   #28
Platinum Member

I have heard good things about the ERA. I like the sofa for sitting and watching TV or out the window.

The biggest reason why I'm going to go for a Transit upfit or a Travato 59G is because I want a permanent table or desk for my laptop with a separate bed. The Airstream Interstate Grand Tour EXT has a fold down desk, but is twice the price of either the SMB upfit or the Travato, and an ARV unit like Davydd's with as close to an ideal computer desk as possible just isn't in the budget.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
I have heard good things about the ERA. I like the sofa for sitting and watching TV or out the window.

The biggest reason why I'm going to go for a Transit upfit or a Travato 59G is because I want a permanent table or desk for my laptop with a separate bed. The Airstream Interstate Grand Tour EXT has a fold down desk, but is twice the price of either the SMB upfit or the Travato, and an ARV unit like Davydd's with as close to an ideal computer desk as possible just isn't in the budget.
Agree, I also like the larger and permanent table on the Travato 59G better than the smaller and portable one on the ERA 70A. In fact, that desk was one of the key features, in addition to the large and unique storage capacity, that drew me to th 59G at the first place.

On the other hand, the option of having two permanent and separate twin beds on the ERA 70A probably fits the needs of my wife and me better than the single corner bed on the Travato, especially at this stage of our life. So there are both pros and cons for each unit. As a retired couple in our mid/late 60's, I think the ERA would work out for us fine. For younger and more active people, particularly for those who might travel alone, the 59G would be a no brainier.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #30
Platinum Member

As much as l like a van with a front living area, I think the most practical van is one that has cargo loading capability in the back. But that's just me. If you are just a touring couple, other plans may work better.

But if one was to go with a 59K, you'd probably want to get a collapsible table. Some of the European makes come with a tripod base that you can place anywhere inside the van or outside, which would be nice. If I bought a 59K, I'd find something like that, and I'd also have some angled back bolsters made in a durable fabric so that the beds could also be used as sofas.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #31
Platinum Member

I'd give you my angled back bolsters but am keeping them in the garage for the next owner when we sell it some day. They are a pain in the tush to stow at bedtime. My dealer says 2 more weeks til they get 59k's.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Sportsmobile has the tripod base table as an option in their vans. I could see the 59k's pull out tables working just fine for us but we'll see.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #33
Platinum Member

The 59K has rear loading capacity through the bathroom that could work. However I would use an external carrier for bikes. I'm anxious to see the 59K as I believe that's the one that works for me. I like the huge bathroom in the bathroom. Having that many seats up front as a single guy is an overkill for me in the 59G, but works for others. I don't think the pull outs will work for me though so need to find a another table solution. Since I won't be using one of the beds in the back, I can see making some kind of table that fits over one of the beds. Just thinking and haven't thought that out. The ZION and others are out because of the bathroom. I want shower facilities in the coach that are usable.
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman
The 59K has rear loading capacity through the bathroom that could work. However I would use an external carrier for bikes. I'm anxious to see the 59K as I believe that's the one that works for me. I like the huge bathroom in the bathroom. Having that many seats up front as a single guy is an overkill for me in the 59G, but works for others. I don't think the pull outs will work for me though so need to find a another table solution. Since I won't be using one of the beds in the back, I can see making some kind of table that fits over one of the beds. Just thinking and haven't thought that out. The ZION and others are out because of the bathroom. I want shower facilities in the coach that are usable.
If shower is your priority, you really can't go wrong with either Travato model. The 59G is probably a little less fiddly since you don't need the shower curtain to protect woodwork. The 59K looks more roomy, at least in width, even more so if you leave those back door open.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:09 PM   #35
Platinum Member

The nice thing about the 59K is the ability to open the rear doors and have more room for showering. Especially if someone is really dirty, one could open the doors, throw a curtain around the rear, and start hosing off mud, dust, muck, etc. before even getting into the van.

The toilet roll is also positioned, so if one buys a hitch mounted toilet like Bumper Dumper, and uses it with the doors open, it is easily accessed.

The 59K looks nice and roomy, but that is at the cost of a larger sized fridge.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:42 AM   #36
Platinum Member

Regarding the 59K shower, I think a shower curtain on a rod would be a good mod. Just roll it to the rear when finished.

The reduced size fridge is a disappointment for for one person it should do ok.
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:02 AM   #37
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
As much as l like a van with a front living area, I think the most practical van is one that has cargo loading capability in the back. But that's just me. If you are just a touring couple, other plans may work better.

But if one was to go with a 59K, you'd probably want to get a collapsible table. Some of the European makes come with a tripod base that you can place anywhere inside the van or outside, which would be nice. If I bought a 59K, I'd find something like that, and I'd also have some angled back bolsters made in a durable fabric so that the beds could also be used as sofas.
I was thinking those back bolsters could double as an insert to make the twin beds into a full size (at least on one side). We'll be getting our 59K in July and will be looking into it. Also, how did the "Stowaway" work for you on your 59G?
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:28 AM   #38
Platinum Member

Love the Stowaway2! It works with the Fiamma bike rack just fine.

But I'm taking a break from it. As I showed in my video, I am using a Stanley toolbox that I put inside. That leaves the hitch available for my scooter platform, or to tow the trailer with the golf cart on it.

Most likely I'll use the Stanley and the scooter platform for my trips to the beach or the keys. When I go to the mountains I may put back the Stowaway2 and use my mountain bike on the Fiamma rack.

Sounds like alot of work, I know, but hopefully this will all flush out by the end of the season.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:34 AM   #39
van

If anyone is interested, the Fit RV crew is apparently working with Winnebago on a custom Travato. They've made a move on a yellow Promaster that they spotted onsite at the Winnebago HQ. They'll be getting a modified 59G.

http://www.thefitrv.com/blog/weve-chosen-our-next-rv/
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by van
If anyone is interested, the Fit RV crew is apparently working with Winnebago on a custom Travato. They've made a move on a yellow Promaster that they spotted onsite at the Winnebago HQ. They'll be getting a modified 59G.

http://www.thefitrv.com/blog/weve-chosen-our-next-rv/

Holy Moly! I guess they didn't drink the kool-aid at Advanced Fest.