Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #61
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2016 Winnebago Travato specs are out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
I wouldn't see that type of interior on a "C" in the US on a ProMaster chassis. That would almost certainly wind up on a Sprinter chassis, just because the PM doesn't have the weight rating to handle that, especially with slide-outs. A Transit chassis might be another choice as well.

There is also the fact that there is a European company which actually tears out the frame rails on the cutaway vans, and replaces them with extended ones made out of aluminum, further saving weight, and adding capacity. I'm not sure what the company is named, but they are in common use for European (mainly UK) class "C"s.
This is the Leura Class B on the Ducato
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...pse3mao3k7.jpg
interior
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...psssrbys7o.jpg
Yes they do extend the Ducato using special chassis extensions and airbags up to 28-29ft, as a Class C unit
Birdsville Ducato based Class C with Slideouts
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...sdui8wdyk.jpgq
GVWR, 9,600lb, GCVWR 14,300lb
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Hey Wincrasher(ken) i have a question about your Travato.

today during my fiasco attempt examining my Zion(i hope) i came across a 12 volt plug in the rear passenger side rear corner that i think is the promaster vans 12 volt cargo compartment outlet. I'm assuming this is tied into the promaster engine battery and not to the house batteries. do you have it and what do you know about it.
I have no idea. I just assumed it was tied to the house batteries. Actually, it's the only 12v outlet in the coach, other than what is on the dash, so I just assumed it was tied to the house battery.

It's easy enough to test though (I'll try to do that for you this weekend). Basically you can put a voltmeter to that port. If it's 14.4 volts when the engine is started, then it's off the engine battery.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
Quote:
I wouldn't see that type of interior on a "C" in the US on a ProMaster chassis. That would almost certainly wind up on a Sprinter chassis, just because the PM doesn't have the weight rating to handle that, especially with slide-outs. A Transit chassis might be another choice as well.

There is also the fact that there is a European company which actually tears out the frame rails on the cutaway vans, and replaces them with extended ones made out of aluminum, further saving weight, and adding capacity. I'm not sure what the company is named, but they are in common use for European (mainly UK) class "C"s.
This is the Leura Class B on the Ducato
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...pse3mao3k7.jpg
interior
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...psssrbys7o.jpg
Yes they do extend the Ducato using special chassis extensions and airbags up to 28-29ft, as a Class C unit
Birdsville Ducato based Class C with Slideouts
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...sdui8wdyk.jpgq
GVWR, 9,600lb, GCVWR 14,300lb
Hymer also uses the extended frames, it appears. They are made by AL-KO, which seems to be a US trailer manufacturer. This was brought up a while ago in relation to how easy or hard it would be for Hymer to build in the US.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
Quote:

today during my fiasco attempt examining my Zion(i hope) i came across a 12 volt plug in the rear passenger side rear corner that i think is the promaster vans 12 volt cargo compartment outlet. I'm assuming this is tied into the promaster engine battery and not to the house batteries. do you have it and what do you know about it.
I have no idea. I just assumed it was tied to the house batteries. Actually, it's the only 12v outlet in the coach, other than what is on the dash, so I just assumed it was tied to the house battery.

It's easy enough to test though (I'll try to do that for you this weekend). Basically you can put a voltmeter to that port. If it's 14.4 volts when the engine is started, then it's off the engine battery.
the zion comes with 6 roadtrek 12 volt outlets/5 usb ports and the one i mentioned that i think is the promasters actual 12 volt outlet in cargo section. i'd pester roadtrek but i have other pester issues with them right now-lol
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:01 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli
Quote:

I have a Promaster and the 12V outlet is a factory option. Mine of course is tied to the start battery.

could you tell me where its installed. the one i'm looking at was in the rear door piller about 2 feet up from floor on passenger side
That's where the factory 12V outlet is placed. If you don't have the option the circle is still there in the plastic. Just no plug.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Jostalli-thanks for the info. i will actually have to open the plug
Old 05-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #67
Platinum Member

This gets me curious... how many USB ports are on the Travato (either the 59G or 59K)?

I know there are two near each bed on the 59K, but wonder about the 59G (which is far more useful a floorplan for me). The way power is laid out in the 59G, IIRC, the converter is under the bench seat, so I could run some wires from the converter (fused, of course) to a marine-grade (Blue Sea) 12 volt to 5 volt receptacle.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:48 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Quote:
This gets me curious... how many USB ports are on the Travato (either the 59G or 59K)?

I know there are two near each bed on the 59K, but wonder about the 59G (which is far more useful a floorplan for me). The way power is laid out in the 59G, IIRC, the converter is under the bench seat, so I could run some wires from the converter (fused, of course) to a marine-grade (Blue Sea) 12 volt to 5 volt receptacle.

mlts22-i thought you were getting a sportsmobile?
Old 05-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #69
Platinum Member

There are two on the dash - both need the ignition to "on" or "access" to be hot. There is one on the cabin stereo - the radio needs to be "on" for that port to be hot. There are no other USB's that I know of.

There is one 12v receptable in the back panel by the pump switch. There is one on the outside of the the van, and there is one on the dash. The one on the dash needs the ignition to "on" or "access" for it to be hot. The one in the back, and the one outside are always hot.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
Hymer also uses the extended frames, it appears. They are made by AL-KO, which seems to be a US trailer manufacturer. This was brought up a while ago in relation to how easy or hard it would be for Hymer to build in the US
Al KO is German and supply to the bulk of European Caravans. They have a major developmental and testing facility in Australia, have a subsidiary Company in the US founded in the early 80's
Short for Alois Kober the founder.
http://www.alko.com.au/al-ko-group/history/
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #71
Silver Member

Quote:
9 (10 if you count the one on the stereo) in the 59K according to FitRVs review
http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-reviews/the- ... ew-review/
rectalogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #72
Silver Member

Winnebago is installing a composting toilet (apparently the Airhead) in the custom 59G TheFitRV is having built.

http://www.thefitrv.com/blog/the-juicy- ... xt-fit-rv/
rectalogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:50 AM   #73
Platinum Member

A lot of Bs with the Winegard crank up TV antennas came with a cover plate with a tiny push button to turn the amplifier on and off and the plate included a 12v plug live off the house battery.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:15 AM   #74
Platinum Member

I saw a Travato 59K today. I'm sold It was the most spacious feeling class B I have been in. The other Class Bs all seem to shrink when seen in person, but it was roomy as shown in videos and pictures. Only exception are the built in tables up front. However I suspect something can be used such as a portable table. Looking again at the 59K also today, it still felt cramped especially up front specially when compared to the 59K. Also looked at the Era 70X. I thought by taking out the second row of seat, it would have more room, but the small bathroom eliminates it from consideration.

I haven't seen a Zion in person, but from what I have seen, I will prefer the 59K because of the bathroom and the spacious feeling. I also looked at a Roadtrek 210 Popular. Too small for me inside.

So I guess one bed for me and one for my 85 lb dog

I believe the 59K will fit my needs. The others that made the short list was the Trend and Navion. Also the discontinued Please Way Prestige was on the short list. However these all don't meet the stealth camping requirement.

So does a red or yellow Travato meet the stealth requirement
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:52 AM   #75
van

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman
believe the 59K will fit my needs.
You should check out the Pleasureway Lexor Promaster too. The version with the radial cabinets (pics are are on their site now) looks really nice. It has a lot of windows too. And the bathroom doesn't block the rear of the van.
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:49 AM   #76
Platinum Member

Good idea on the Pleasureway Lexor Promaster. There is actually one in stock not to far from me. I'm still waiting to see a Zion in person.
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #77
Platinum Member

Still waiting for the local dealer to get a 59k
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #78
Platinum Member

Quote:
Good idea on the Pleasureway Lexor Promaster. There is actually one in stock not to far from me. I'm still waiting to see a Zion in person.
The Pleasureway Rep told me that for 2016, they were going to have rotating front seats and the painted fenders/trim. Not sure about any other "upgrades" for the Lexor. It's probably the most "traditional" layout of the Promaster B's.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #79
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
Quote:
The Pleasureway Rep told me that for 2016, they were going to have rotating front seats and the painted fenders/trim. Not sure about any other "upgrades" for the Lexor. It's probably the most "traditional" layout of the Promaster B's.

I understand that the Lexor can be ordered with twin beds so it would be a similar layout as the Zion. I think that I read that the Pleasureway twin beds are narrower than the Zion though.
CyclingCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:54 PM   #80
Platinum Member

How narrow is too narrow? Ours are 28-1/2" wide and I was apprehensive about that but it has turned out to be more than adequate as I don't feel restrained and can still toss and turn. Camp canvas Army cots are usually 26" wide. That was the only thing I was familiar with but they sag you to the middle.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote