Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #41
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
The North American ULSD diesel standard is called Diesel #2. It is the only highway diesel allowed in the US and Canada. It’s at every gas station and truck stop in the US. It was required in the US beginning around 2010.

There is a different issue related to the biodiesel percent. 5% or less does not have to be labeled. Above 5% it is supposed to be labeled. I have once in 5 years and 40k miles skipped a station to avoid the 20% biodiesel. And I only did this because I had filled up with 20% biodiesel the last time.

If you don’t like the idea of a diesel, don’t buy one. But the idea you can’t get the right diesel if you do buy one is silly.
I have owned 3 diesel trucks but know little about diesel beyong their needs. However I have frequently seen postings from people with "B"'s who have had issues with diesel (maybe they were just ill informed. That said I am grateful to the person (who owned a diesel "B" and lives in San Francisco who suggested I take a good look at the "Mercedes Benz" service requirement before I bought a diesel as I might find it was not CONVENIENT from a service perspsective. As a result I bought a gas model, and from the stories I hear from people who live 2-3 hours away from a major center and the amount of time they must spend getting routine service done I am glad I did not buy diesel.
2013 PleasureWay Excel TS
2012 Chev Silverado
brianm142@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:25 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
You must not have been to Minnesota lately, where 20% biodiesel is required except in cold weather.

Your’re right. I haven’t taken my RV to Minnesota. You must know that Minnesota is an outlier. https://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/5452. But the rules say B20 when it is cold during the winter.

Look. If you don’t want a diesel, don’t buy one. I’m just saying I haven’t had a problem out West. Nationally, more than half of fuel stations have diesel. https://www.dieselforum.org/diesel-drivers/fuel-locator
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:42 AM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
Your’re right. I haven’t taken my RV to Minnesota. You must know that Minnesota is an outlier. https://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/5452. But the rules say B20 when it is cold during the winter.

Look. If you don’t want a diesel, don’t buy one. I’m just saying I haven’t had a problem out West. Nationally, more than half of fuel stations have diesel. https://www.dieselforum.org/diesel-drivers/fuel-locator

I guess I don't understand what your position is. You made a big deal about never, ever, not being able to find lower than 20% biodiesel and pretty much chastised anyone who says that it may ever be an issue. When it gets pointed out that an entire state is 20% only, you just call it an outlier, and it doesn't count? You didn't put the "out west" qualifier in you original post, so how is anyone supposed to know that? There are a quite a few folks that show up here looking for good, accurate information, not information that is selectively edited to try to make a personal opinion true. Those trying to learn deserve the most accurate information available.

And the rules, as I mentioned earlier, say that B20 IS NOT required in the winter, not as you said IS required when it is cold in the winter.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:04 AM   #44
Platinum Member

Default 2018/2019 Agile or Ascent

Booster

My position is that I have not had problems finding diesel with B5 or less in my travels. I clearly stated that this was out west in post #37.

In post #39, I said that I have once skipped a B20 station. So I went to the station across the street. But I have on a number of occasions used B20 with no obvious issues.

It is my understanding that Minnesota is the only state that requires B20 part of the year beginning this past May. More states will follow for the benefit of farmers and to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Maybe I should have used the word leader instead of outlier.

My apologies for getting the Minnesota B20 season backwards.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #45
Gold Member

Why are you Leary if sorinter because Mercedes maintenance cost, reliability IR something else?

Looking at used RT Agile SS 2014. Only 8K mikes. Asking 89K. Pricey?
Old 02-10-2019, 01:53 AM   #46
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper View Post
Why are you Leary if sorinter because Mercedes maintenance cost, reliability IR something else?

Looking at used RT Agile SS 2014. Only 8K mikes. Asking 89K. Pricey?
Over and above any issues that may of may not exist obtaining the correct diesel fuel from time to time, if you are near a major center where getting MB "approved" service in order to validate your warranty requirements, then owning a sprinter may not present any inconveniences. However if you are required to drive 2-3 hours and leave your vehicle for a couple of days in order to obtain service that satisfies your MB warranty requirements then you may want to reconsider diesel versus gas to save yoursrelf the PITA of obtaining routine service.
brianm142@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:37 AM   #47
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myin13 View Post
Good Morning,

Here a pretty extensive video comparison of the Ascent and Agile. Reviewer is an Ascent owner but he's pretty objective with his comments/assessments.

http://youtu.be/snaUGYqAZns

Why is the Zion SRT not included in your list of potenials? Since I need a sub-20 foot coach, the Zion is #2 on my list behind the Ascent. Love the Ascent's floor plan but not sure if I want to deal with a diesel platform or the higher purchase price and extra cost of M/B parts and service.

Good luck in your search and keep us updated.

Mike
I was going to ask same question, we looked at used Agile SS but not big on the Sprinter, Zion has a bigger fridge which I love. So thinking we might look into Zion with solar, Pleasure Way Ascent is very nice but very pricey, and I don't think warranty is transferable (?). Also having a diesel is not a 'must' for us so why pay the premium. But < 20 feet is a 'must'.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #48
Bronze Member

Default Obd ii code p261f

I have an OBD II code P261F on a 2016 Sprinter chassis on my 2017 PW Ascent. Can anyone help diagnose the code? I cleared the code but not sure it won't return.......Thanks Ralph mAscent
RalphAscent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphAscent View Post
I have an OBD II code P261F on a 2016 Sprinter chassis on my 2017 PW Ascent. Can anyone help diagnose the code? I cleared the code but not sure it won't return.......Thanks Ralph mAscent
I am guessing you have the 4 cylinder engine.

P261F can indicate a number of faults associated with the coolant pump. This device is rather complex on this engine, since it is ECU-controlled, with variable flow and a vacuum-controlled diverter valve. So, there are electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic aspects to the system. The code can indicate improper operation of the pneumatic valve, or problems with the coolant flow itself. You need a dealer diagnostic to find out which. I am told that some of these faults can lead to a limp-home condition.

I had that code in my MY2014 I4. It was strange: I would get it repeatedly, but only after a long period of vehicle storage. Just before my Diesel engine warranty was about to expire, I decided to take it to the dealer while the code was active. They diagnosed insufficient coolant flow and replaced the pump under warranty. This is not a small job.

I suggest that if the code ever comes back you refrain from clearing it and head to the dealer.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #50
Bronze Member

Default Thanks avanti

I really appreciate your info and advice. My problem is I don't use the RV enough. Take care, thanks again....Ralph Ascent
RalphAscent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphAscent View Post
I really appreciate your info and advice. My problem is I don't use the RV enough. Take care, thanks again....Ralph Ascent
Tisk, tisk! To paraphrase Frederick Douglas, "An Ascent is a terrible thing to waste". I know you know the cure, I just hope you find the time.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote