Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2018, 06:05 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Actually, I was not replying to your post per se, I thought I was posting a reply to someone who had some doubt about the Four vs. V6.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:10 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Of course I need you to agree with me. How else can I nurture my confirmation bias?
You're doing a fine job without my help. Now please go pick a senseless fight with someone else.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Sure, I understand.... my suggestion is to drive the vehicle and see if it works for you. I understand that the 7 speed I4 diesels are almost as sprightly as the 6..... look it up on youtube... from what I recall they did a test and climbed to the Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado and the only time the V6 with the 5 speed really outperformed the Four was climbing the hills at a little slower speed.

All of the new 2019 models will be the 7 speed transmission.... Yes, it's less torque, however, none of these vehicles are speed demons, once you get going you're cruising.

If you do a lot of mountain driving... the diesel is the best option, in my opinion.
Good luck.
I think ARV had a video of some testing they did head to head with four and six cylinder Sprinters on a long grade. Perhaps someone will know if it was them and if it was still available to see.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:40 AM   #44
Platinum Member

Lots of talk about torque here, but not much about horsepower.

Always remember that it is torque that will determine IF you can go up a mountain, but it is horsepower that will determine how fast you will go up that mountain.

This is why you need to see the torque and horsepower curves to get a decent idea of how an engine will perform in the real world. You could have 500ft-lbs of torque in an engine that peaks at 2200rpm and it would not get up a mountain any faster than an engine that had 250ft-lbs but peaks at 4400rpm, assuming both are geared properly.

Big torque, low rpm, diesels are made to be able to make it over a mountain with huge loads, but not quickly. Lower torque, higher rpm, engines are made to be a bit more versatile, if they have enough gears. Deep low gears give similar pulling power to more torque, and having more rpm range to the high end gives more horsepower for faster climbing or stoplight racing.

If the 4 cylinder has more rpm range than the six cylinder, and the gears to take advantage of that extra range, many of the normal torque based assumptions are less important IMO.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #45
Bud
Platinum Member

Imagine this:

You are magically placed sitting in a 10,000 pound vehicle. Ok, it could be 5 or 15,000 pounds. Your seat is totally isolated from any vibration, oh and all sound is muffled, eliminated. There is a cvt transmission and no rpm gage.

What kind of engine is under the hood?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:02 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think ARV had a video of some testing they did head to head with four and six cylinder Sprinters on a long grade. Perhaps someone will know if it was them and if it was still available to see.
I can't find it on the website but Mike N did take a trip with the four cylinder engine and reported favorably on it. As I recall, only on some pretty steep grades did he find it slowed him down a bit.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #47
BBQ
Platinum Member

The gas engine will mate with a 9-sp transmission.

That should keep the torque curve in a sweet spot.