Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #1

Default 2019 Sprinter

First post. Wife and I have been researching and looking at Class B's for our upcoming retirement.

It looks like the new Sprinters will be out within 12-18 months. If we are not in a rush to buy one now, is there any reason not to wait for the new models before buying a new B? We are leaning Pleasureway for now.

It sure *sounds* like a host of improvements on the new model, but I would be very interested in some informed opinions from the folks here.

Thanks

Steve
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
First post. Wife and I have been researching and looking at Class B's for our upcoming retirement.

It looks like the new Sprinters will be out within 12-18 months. If we are not in a rush to buy one now, is there any reason not to wait for the new models before buying a new B? We are leaning Pleasureway for now.

It sure *sounds* like a host of improvements on the new model, but I would be very interested in some informed opinions from the folks here.

Thanks

Steve
Yes I would be interested to hear what ‘strides’ MB has made especially in the emissions department. Are they talking diesel still? If they do manage to keep the diesel running better I suspect it will include yet more sensors and computers.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

MB have announced they will be replacing ALL of their current engines with new designs.
The word on the street is -- these new engines will be *significantly* better.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I would probably wait except that MB tends to be unpredictable and often late with release dates. 12-18 months seems very optimistic. 2 years seems more likely to get what you actually order. Then Pleasure Way will be another delay to start building on a new model. Then there is the argument about whether you really want to be one of the first buyers of a brand new model release for any company much less one with a new diesel engine. A 3 year window may be the safest bet.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I haven't seen any announcement from Mercedes Benz as to what the new Sprinter will be. *Sounds* is so far wish list speculations. Does anyone have a certifiable link from MB?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:12 PM   #6

David, I found this, and it was echoed on a number or other websites. Sure looks very sleek and modern!

Mercedes-Benz Teases 2019 Sprinter Van with Sketch

Steve
Old 11-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #7
Platinum Member

That's cosmetic but no details. It looks good. If one recalls in 2014 Mercedes Benz did another cosmetic upgrade to the front end to bring it more in line with their cars. The Transit looks like a sucking fish and the Promaster is just plain ugly.

Probably LED lights are a given in just about all vehicles now.

I'm more interest in size configurations especially if they make it a little wider or straighter sides, but neither will be aesthetically pleasing in my estimation. Sprinters need about 2" more width. These are the two factors making Sprinter RV design more difficult. They already are the biggest vans with the most payload to work with. The other thing is introducing new engines. I'd consider a gas turbo.

I'm modeling in SketchUp 3D an all new design based on 144" wheel base. So far it looks very promising and there is nothing like it on the market. You really catch all the problems in 3D. I'd opt for the single Super wheel over duallies to solve some design problems. Two different size tires don't bother me with all the interior advantages. They don't show that in the build options on the American build site.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:12 AM   #8

The front end looks kind of angry like. Not sure I like it. If they are being built in the USA do you think the price will be cheaper? It would be nice if you could get a high roof 4x4 in the mid 40s.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The front end looks kind of angry like. Not sure I like it. If they are being built in the USA do you think the price will be cheaper? It would be nice if you could get a high roof 4x4 in the mid 40s.
The only thing that would be almost certain about a new redesigned 2019 model would be that it won't be cheaper.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Your dreaming. You can't get a 144, 4x4 high roof now for less than 52k and by the time you add on the necessary desired options for RV conversion it will be more. Built in America is not going to bring down that price significantly.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:43 AM   #11
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
That's cosmetic but no details. It looks good. If one recalls in 2014 Mercedes Benz did another cosmetic upgrade to the front end to bring it more in line with their cars. The Transit looks like a sucking fish and the Promaster is just plain ugly.
There was a time I agreed with you, but now I don’t think either the Ford or RAM is as hideous as I once thought. Vehicle shapes have ‘always grown on me’ and now I look at the RAM and prefer it’s squarish look over the MB. That and the MB diesel scares the bejesus out of me...never again.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheral View Post
There was a time I agreed with you, but now I don’t think either the Ford or RAM is as hideous as I once thought. Vehicle shapes have ‘always grown on me’ and now I look at the RAM and prefer it’s squarish look over the MB. That and the MB diesel scares the bejesus out of me...never again.
I have to agree the looks are in the eye of the beholder. After all, I traded down for a 2003 Subaru Baja, the two tone pickup on an Outback body.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #13

One of the articles mentioned that currently Mercedes ships these vehicles to the US with the vehicle and drivetrain disassembled to avoid the 25% "Chicken tax". As a result, they spend over a grand putting it back together here in the US before sale, adding to the cost unnecessarily.

Obviously they can avoid that with the new Charleston plant.

Steve
Old 11-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #14
Platinum Member

$1,000 vs about $9000 for the "chicken" tax avoidance is a no brainer. But it points out that if it's just $1,000 hit, there is not going to be much of a price break if any as many wish for building them here.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:23 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
$1,000 vs about $9000 for the "chicken" tax avoidance is a no brainer. But it points out that if it's just $1,000 hit, there is not going to be much of a price break if any as many wish for building them here.
I don't think every builder is saddled with this cost. Hasn't Winnebago somehow finagled the gummint into creating a free trade zone in their back yard which permits them to receive Sprinters without going through the disassembly/reassembly song and dance?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:40 PM   #16
BBQ
Platinum Member

The Mercedes will never come cheap.

It is all in the product positioning -- even if they can build it cheaper, they won't lower the price for you. At least not to the extent that could jeopardize the hierarchy of brand prestige.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
I don't think every builder is saddled with this cost. Hasn't Winnebago somehow finagled the gummint into creating a free trade zone in their back yard which permits them to receive Sprinters without going through the disassembly/reassembly song and dance?
That's the general consensus with Winnebago and I have heard it about Canadian companies as well. However, you cut it, it is only a apparently $1,000 advantage if what the report says is true because no American company is going to import assembled vans and pay a 25% tariff.

Mercedes Benz cost more because they are best in class for payload by a wide margin and they know it. I think they are technically better with all their safety features. They are an international player when it comes to commercial vehicles more than Fiat and Ford. The quality moniker only comes in the USA and probably why they initially badged the Sprinters as Dodges and Freightliners to dispell that image. However, it is a nice image to have if you are an owner.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:38 AM   #18

"The expansion should open by mid-2018; the site will be fully operational by 2020"

Mercedes shows off new Mercedes-Benz Vans plant

https://www.ourgazette.com/mercedes-...683e15cf5.html

Mercedes-Benz Vans readying site for full-scale production
https://charlestonbusiness.com/news/automotive/73437/
Yodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:06 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
That is correct. Winnebago, being MB biggest customer in North America has set up a free trade zone at the plant in Forest City. So, straight from Germany to Iowa for all their Sprinters.

Having owned 2 of these, I actually believe that going through Ladsen enhances the quality of the chassis assembly a bit. Both of ours have had multiple front end issues when new. On top of that, our current van didn't have a single door on it that fit properly or was adjusted correct.

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:21 AM   #20
BBQ
Platinum Member

The free trade zone is for the Sprinter cut-away chassis.