Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #21
Platinum Member

My post is not directly related to the Sprinter diesel proplems, but more to how we do not need chassis problems to spoil a trip. There are already enough things like parts failure on our rv's, weather, over-crowded or closed parks that do that already. I have had incidents of each that, while not spoiling the whole trip, were enough to spoil parts of it.

Thanks to those who discussed their Sprinter problems on this and other forums, I avoided the Sprinter chassis. When I purchased a Chevy Express based '2012 Airstream Avenue, I saw very little negatives about that powertrain during my research. What a pleasure it has been to have had zero issues during my 17,000 miles so far. I did replace the MAF sensor due to a rich running condition after my first trip by it gave no codes or driving issues. Maybe I've been lucky, but if I had experienced engine issues requiring shop time on any of my trips, I would indeed considered them spoiled.

In modern vehicles (and even well maintained older ones) almost any failure on the road is not something I would consider acceptable. I've mostly driven older vehicles, but maintained them properly, and in over 45 years, have never needed to visit a shop while traveling.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:25 PM   #22
Platinum Member

To me the first question is not what can go wrong, but how likely it is to go wrong. If you go to the sprinter forum you WILL find people who have had problems. You will also find people who say they have "never had any problems."

The fact that fleet managers continue to buy and use sprinters may indicate that the latter group is a lot bigger than the former. Of course it may also be that fleet managers properly service and maintain their vehicles, can anticipate and prevent problems more easily and don't need to worry about finding a dealer. Most of their vehicles are probably unlikely to be in the middle of nowhere if they breakdown. On the other hand, they also probably aren't posting on internet forums about not having problems.

The second question is what are the benefits I have to give up. In my case I have a Roadtrek with diesel hot water and furnace, an underhood generator, a solar panel and an electric cooktop. I can drive anywhere, pull into any parking space and camp as long as I fill the fuel tank. No propane or shore power required. I can run the furnace while driving if I choose which has value in the frozen northland. I have a vehicle that easily handles mountains. It has wind stabilization and a variety of other safety sensors and controls. I have Mercedes quality seating and appointments in the chassis. In short, I get a combination of benefits that I really can't find in a gas chassis.

Modern diesel is certainly more complicated with its pollution control systems than old fashioned diesel that would run on practically anything. If you want to do your own repairs, I don't think you want a modern Mercedes of any kind. But if you need a durable, reliable chassis for an RV that gets great mileage then I think the sprinter will likely provide that. Of course, your mileage may vary as the saying goes.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #23
Bronze Member

I have a 2016 MB Chassis. I have never had any Chassis related problems. Going on 50,500 miles so far.
Getting the 5% Bio is a pain. The A and B service is costly, but then I don't have to do the maintenance myself so that is the good part. I have been satisfied with my MB dealer as they have a shop that only does Sprinter Van service.

Steve
goodtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:01 AM   #24

I have a Travato. I certainly love the wider interior space compared to the MB and the length is perfect. But MB cabin features and especially seating are quite nice. Can the Ducato really be more trouble free compared to the MB? It seems like I could buy a whole new engine for the price difference tween the MB and Ducato.

Towing advantage and single fuel capability are a super convenient aspect of the MB though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I would encourage perspective buyers of NCV3-based RVs to take the Sprinter emissions issues very, very seriously. As even a casual perusal of the Sprinter Source list will reveal, it is beyond ridiculous. The dual NoX sensors may have finally stabilized on VERSION 5(!). But, that leaves the wheel speed sensors (which very commonly fail in pairs--conveniently a few hundred miles apart), the whole DEF dosing system, tank heaters, and at higher milage, DPF issues.

It isn't just that the failure rates of these items are more to the standards of the 1950s than the 21st century, it is that they very commonly lead to one being stranded on the side of the road in limp mode (which requires a tow) or at best a "10 starts remaining" countdown. More likely than not, you will be hundreds of miles from a sprinter-capable MB dealer, which is pretty close to your only choice for repair, given that most of these components require "Teach In" or in some cases SCN coding, which requires the help of MB central. Few independent shops are equipped to do any of this. When you call the nearest dealer, they will tell you that they can fit you in in two weeks (ignore this--if you show up at their door, they will most likely squeeze you in). At least they will probably have the parts in stock -- they use a lot of them.

Perhaps the new generation of Sprinters have fixed all these problems. Perhaps. As for me, I would never buy another Mercedes diesel if there is any reasonable alternative. I have had enough trips spoiled for one lifetime.
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:07 AM   #25
Site Team

I love the Sprinter. It is just that the diesel emissions are a nightmare. I am really hoping that by the time we need a new van, the new gas engine will be available in the 3500. That would be the best of all worlds. Or, maybe by then we will be ready to downsize.

As for single fuel, no reason you can't do that with petrol. Gasoline Espars are readily available.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:56 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I love the Sprinter. It is just that the diesel emissions are a nightmare. I am really hoping that by the time we need a new van, the new gas engine will be available in the 3500. That would be the best of all worlds. Or, maybe by then we will be ready to downsize.

As for single fuel, no reason you can't do that with petrol. Gasoline Espars are readily available.
Agree that a gas engine Sprinter would be a good choice. At this point it is not clear that one can add a second alternator to the M274 4-cylinder gas engine being offered in the new Sprinters.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Which RV manufacturers offer the Espar gasoline heater?
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote