Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2021, 05:45 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 2020 RT S Agile a 4 seasons RV?

Is the 2020 RT SS Agile a 4 seasons RV?

If I'm using the RV with the house heater on set to at least 65 degrees F, am I safe if ambient temperature drop to say 20 degrees F?

What about if I park at the airport for a week in the winter? Can I leave the house heater on set to 65 degrees? (if I see that the ambient temperature will drop to around 20's F?)

In my previous two Class C RV's, I've NEVER run into the above potential freezing ambient temperature problems bc we were in SoCal all the time.

Any advice? Much appreciated.
RVclassB4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVclassB4me View Post

If I'm using the RV with the house heater on set to at least 65 degrees F, am I safe if ambient temperature drop to say 20 degrees F?

What about if I park at the airport for a week in the winter? Can I leave the house heater on set to 65 degrees? (if I see that the ambient temperature will drop to around 20's F?)

In my previous two Class C RV's, I've NEVER run into the above potential freezing ambient temperature problems bc we were in SoCal all the time.

Although I'm not familiar with your model specifically, standard winterization procedures apply: Drain tanks/water heater/water lines, rv antifreeze in gray & black tanks (run some through macerator), open interior drawers & cabinet doors, and run heat as you suggest.

That got my van through the Texas freeze last Winter. However, while temps for several nights go into the low 20's/high teens, they got up to 32 or slightly above each day. It's always tougher when temps stay below freezing for long periods.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:36 PM   #3
Platinum Member

As I recall with a typical RV propane furnace I once owned, it would run about 50 hours on 8 gal of propane. If the roadtrek had a 16 gal tank, that would be 100 hours. If it was cold enough to run continually, that would be about 4 days on a tank. Of course, it probably wouldn’t run continually but I bet the insulation level in a Roadtrek is not great.

This is one of the main reasons I no longer own a Class B with a propane heating system. I disliked having to monitor and refill the propane tank regularly.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:58 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVclassB4me View Post

Too risky. A furnace can sometimes fail to light, go into lockout and you are done. Drain all the water out, Fill a couple of water containers half full for when you return, set the thermostat at 45-55 and safely see how it does.

A max/min refrigerator thermometer set on the counter will tell you how it went. I did it once. Furnace was still operating when I returned and the min registered at 41F. I got away with it. My furnace was prone to lockout.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Whether stuff freezes depends on several factors. Because the most vulnerable pipes are underneath, ground temperature can be at least as important as air temperature, depending on wind conditions.

We have a diesel furnace in our Etrek so I would not worry about running out of fuel. But furnaces also use electricity so battery capacity is an issue.
A couple hours below freezing is not likely to cause you any problems. But several days with temps around freezing would change that. If the water is already at 32, the transition to freezing can be pretty quick.
Water pipes are small, but pex pipe is somewhat flexible. Drains and the connection s to the macerator are plastic and much more likely to break. They are also more exposed and less likely to get heat from the coach

So the answer is no, it's not a four season rig. We use ours in below zero F, but it has to be fully winterized. We flush the toilet using rv antifreeze. I have never tried dumping the tanks in that kind of temperature.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote