Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default 3 way fridge repair

My Roadtrek has a fridge that has not worked since I got it, although the light turns on. Is it worth repairing or just replacing? If repair, does anyone know where one goes to repair a van fridge? Is it worth the cost to repair? Also, has anyone used those $400 to $500 3-way fridges they sell on Amazon? Thanks.
alwechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:35 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Provide more info. Make, model, age. If fridge is old then seals may be going bad, also electronics. So it may be worth buying new.

National RV Refrigeration does rebuilds and also sells scratch & dent fridges for a good price. May be worth a trip there.

Also, read the many posts on converting to 12v electric fridge. It is costly but worth it for many.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:28 PM   #3
Silver Member

Thanks ... it is a Dometic RM2354, 2006
alwechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:30 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwechs View Post
Thanks ... it is a Dometic RM2354, 2006
National has one for $525. Install is additional. I would have driven there to have him install a scratch & dent if he had my model at the time (2551). I did not want my 2006 rebuilt as the seals were dried out somewhat. Also the electronics acted up occasionally on my old unit. Give them a call. Owner is named Leon I think. Very knowledgeable guy, though you may end up talking to an assistant.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:58 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:13 PM   #6
JML
Bronze Member

2013 Pleasure Way Excel. I just replaced my Dometic RM 8305 3 way with an Isotherm Freeline 115. I have not used it yet while traveling, but testing at home indicates energy use is in line with their claims. I have up to 250 Watts of solar (one fixed panel and two portable panels) and one 100AH PiPO battery. I also have a generator. I expect most of the time solar can keep up with energy use. Because of the sink, it was a very tight fit. I had to remove the feet and chisel some grooves in the floor for the door hinges. Otherwise there would have been plenty of room. My 3 way was very finicky and required constant cleaning. It became a real pain. I think the change will be well worth it.
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:17 PM   #7
Gold Member

There are quite a few simple repairs to get a fridge working. I would go through those, or have your local RV shop or friendly RVing neighbor do those before the more extreme solution of replacing it. Can you advise what symptoms the fridge has? Do the LEDs light up at all? Could be as simple as a fuse. If they do, what modes have you tried. Does the check light come on in all 3 modes? Gas mode is the most reliable, if the failure is in that mode, then usually a burner lighting issue, or carboning up of the burner and/or flue. It’s pretty easy to clean the flue and burner so it is well within a DIYers scope.
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:53 PM   #8

I removed our 3 way Dometic and stored it because we have a steep driveway where she’s always parked rendering the refrigerator inoperable most always. I bought an inexpensive 12v/120v refrigerator and plug it into the oulet above the sink while it sits in the space underneath. The thing works perfectly 24/7 whether sitting idle or on the road.
Pentex3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:57 PM   #9

It depends upon your particular needs, and perhaps longer-term resale value. I like having a 3-way; nothing like using propane to refrigerate, which is what was the original refrigerators ran on (besides ice) before electricity was readily available.

Unless the fluid tubes have been compromised, the rest of it is easily repairable by most DIY people. The Amish make replacement tubes which can be replaced. There are many repair videos and manuals available for these units. They are reliable yet a little finicky (related to level), a little less so on later models. Adding some fans inside and outside make them more efficient.

I'd try to repair myself, but others have found some other options that work better for them. There are some new efficient compressor models out there. Others have put in a cheap dorm-room fridge. Options abound, so you really need to decide what is important to you. I'd suggest basic troubleshooting first, though.

Good luck.
2006 Avon Adventurer 16
2000 Riot Hammer - Team Member Custom
inforiculturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I stopped using my 3-way 'fridge and got a Whynter FM-452SG 45 Quart Slimfit Portable Refrigerator that fits between the front seats:

https://www.amazon.com/Whynter-FM-45...liances&sr=1-1

BTW, By shopping for the same thing over weeks or months, the price might come down. They are tracking your activity and know there are other sellers out there. I was actually parked in front of a scratch and dent place in Orange County, and suddenly the Amazon price dropped over $100.

And now the 3-way 'fridge is used as unrefrigerated rodent-proof food storage..
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote