Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 3500 mile trip, high heat conditions

Just completed a 3500 mile trip from Ca through Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Colorado spending a while exploring the Northern Colorado. I got 18.8MPG on the first half of the trip being conservative on the speeds and having a tail wind most of the way. It dropped during the last half to an average of 16.6mpg for the entire trip when my foot got heavier with the higher speed limits, 80mph in some areas. You can get 18-19MPG with these vans when you want to by keeping them under 65MPH. The 2014 Promaster was flawless the entire trip able to climb the high altitude passes at speed limit or better.
Only problems I had was the Laveo toilet's battery failed, close to 4 years old, I bypassed the battery and wired it direct, the oscillating fan I installed is way too loud so I have to find a quieter one.
Temps reached 119f in some areas, my lithium battery bank installed inside the van reached 101f when we parked it at a resort hotel for a couple of days. I would not recommend those with exterior mounted lithium batteries to travel in heat like this. My exterior temp sensor is mounted inside my spare tire where temps reached 130f which is outside the envelop they can operate in.
The refrigerator, Isotherm 7cf 12v compressor worked flawlessly in all temps keeping the same temps in any environment maintaining 20f in the freezer and 36f in the Fridge section.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

good results...

many of those who live in the desert have at one time or another been windows down and blasting the heater to remove heat from the motor...no fun!

I am too soft for that now

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
Platinum Member

That was really excellent mileage - especially with the A/C running. Thanks for posting your experience. Most of our planned trips are in the areas you described so it is helpful to hear how you fared.

We experienced vapor-lock outside of Phoenix once and DH has been thinking that we need to buy a diesel so that we don't have to worry about that, but it sounds like the new engines don't have a problem.
Phoebe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We pulled into Vegas 119f, stuck in traffic with AC on medium, the temp gauge never moved from normal. I noticed the majority of heat infiltration is now above the windshield in the storage area. Need to add some more insulation there.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
We experienced vapor-lock outside of Phoenix once ...
Phoenix being the 5th largest city in the country manages a few million cars moving at any one time
...even last week when we were setting records ( only 108º right now)

vapor lock can occur on carb'd vehicles- anything newer than 1986 is probably efi

unless you have old stuff ( like I do) I wouldn't worry about that.

even on the old stuff the only time it has even been a concern is on my '53 Harley as the steel fuel lines run between the cylinders..all I have to do is close the choke for a sec and the increased motor vacuum take care of that.

mike
Old 07-01-2017, 11:10 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I would agree with Mojoman about batteries and locations. We just got back from a hot, but not like his, trip. Our 4 AGMs are located in the old generator space behind the rear axle, like many of the new ones do now.

We consistently see about 15-20*F above ambient at the battery temp sensors, which appear to be maybe 5* warmer than the battery internals.

On a 95* day, that makes for hot batteries, beyond recommended temps.

We did run into an interesting observation, though, when the batteries got near 110*. All the charging sources reduced the charge voltage a bunch, so when we were in float, the voltage charging was lower than the battery voltage which had been charged at a lower temp. I don't know if they odd situation would help, hurt, or do nothing for battery damage and life, but I would think that going to basic no charge, give up some energy might actually be a good thing.

I think I will revisit getting some more cooling air to the batteries, though.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:30 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
...cooling air to the batteries, though...
my other ride is a Prius- there is a duct & fan system to cool the battery pack.

These cars seem to do ok here in the heat.

mike