Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 400 amp battery TPPL agm

delete
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 400 amp battery TPPL agm

The specs say it is a 400 amp reserve capacity, and 185AH at 20 hour rate, 131# weight. It appears you would need two of them to get the capacity up to near the 1/2 etrek package size. I didn't check the charge/discharge rate stuff, but the other specs seem to be very much in line with normal AGMs. I also don't know anything about the actual technology of it.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
Platinum Member

That is not a 400 Ah battery. It has 400 minutes of reserve capacity, what ever that means. Under the normal RV standard 20 hour rating the capacity is 185 Ah.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
Old 12-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

delete
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The specs are one of the things that have me wondering what the big benefit is.

They say 400+ cycles at 80% discharge. Lifeline says 550 cycles. no benefit there.

Capacity of around 100AH for group 31 is very similar to lower than many AGMs.

The charge acceptance rate is where I really don't know if what they say is possible or not. I had started a discussion on this a while ago after a call I made to Lifeline. Lifeline recommends 25% of capacity for charging one place in their literature, in another place they say they are designed to handle 250% of capacity charge rate. They actually may accept 500% of capacity, or more, per the guy I talked to (similar to what was quoted in the link). He also said the if you put that much into them you will shorten their life a bunch, and if you don't have good thermal controls it could be dangerous. Since the pure lead system is lead acid AGM, I can't see how they would have less heat generated in the charging process, so lower rates still may be needed. Many AGM manufacturers used to say the same thing about high charge rates, but now seem to be backing off. I think there is a big difference between what they WILL accept, and what you can practically put into them in preactice. If the pure lead system have a higher charge efficiency, you may be able to charge them faster. I think a little more information would help me a lot on this one. Even 250% of a 400AH bank is 1000 amps. At 95% efficiency that would have 50 amps, 600 watts, going to heat, which is a lot of heat to dissipate.

Their big selling points are cold cranking amps and recharge rates, which may be a benefit, if they can handle the heat, and you can supply them enough power.

I think for me the jury is still out on this one.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote