Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #1

Default 5 seat camper

We have three kids.... I've been searching around for a camper van that can sleep all 5 of us. We are small people so cramped is just fine

The near impossibility it seems is finding something that has 5 forward facing seats with seat belts to be legal and safe.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 5 seat camper

The two previous Class B RVs I had sat 5 with seat belts. The 2005 Pleasure-way Plateau and 2011 Great West Van Legend had electric sofa beds with three seat belts. The side had shoulder belts and the middle only had a lap belt. We used the middle when our grandchildren still traveled in a baby seat with its own shoulder harness. Neither had the headrests on the sofa seat and that was a concern.

We took our adult son and two grandsons (6 and 2) on a trip from Wisconsin to Virginia and back of about 1,000 miles each way. They slept in a tent. It would have been a lot easier in a passenger car.

In my younger years we traveled in station wagons but that was in the days when you put the seats down, threw the blankets and pillows on top and traveled loose. Somehow our three kids survived.

I personally think a B is maxed out for two people. Beyond that you have little room for necessary luggage and personal items. The on board facilities and tank capacities are not designed for additional people. The most capacity for sleeping inside a B might be the Roadtreks with sleeping for 4 and I think that would be with two pre-teens at best. Then at night the Roadtrek B is all bed like a tent.

Consider something like a passenger van set up with some amenities like an on board toilet and kitchenette but carry a tent and travel like a tent camper. Midwest Automotive Designs has a DayCruiser model with a bath and kitchenette and will carry 6 in captain chairs facing forward. Here are some photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davydd/se ... 936738211/

Other than that you really should be looking at Class Cs, trailers and bigger.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

If your willing to buy new and spend money and want this sportsmobile could probably solve it. their hard topped vans can make overhead bed both front and back -these overhead beds are for small people-this is not the same as the overhead bed in their pop top
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies!
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Sportsmobile
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I'd suggest you look at a Winnebago Rialta- this is the 95~05 VW v6 conversion.
The interior design is genius.

there are 4 floorplans including a model where the dinnette converts to queen size ( ish) and the 2 pass seats convert to an double bed ( ish).
I "think" the dinette seat have seat belts to get you up to 5+ seated.

there is a cool youtube video of a family of 4 who are living in theirs long term- they give a good run down.

floorplans/ dimension and other info available online

we recently bought a B and I shopped alot of models before buying.

The reasons I didn't go with a Rialta were VW...can it pull up mountain grades 7%+, dirt roads? ease of parts and fixin' ( I went with a chevy chassis- I know GM's). and the interior height is limited.

the interior and particularly the bathroom is genius.
I believe the 2001+ motor is more powerful.

youtube is a great resource for looking at particular models/ layouts.

some B models with forward facing rear sofa will have belts-

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote