Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 12:24 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riplips View Post
As far as I know, the 59 G is the only Class b that can handle 4 passengers and sleep 4 in reasonable comfort.

My family of 3 can do a month no problem.
What about the Winnebago 70A? Did you look at that when you bought?
I have that model on my kinda short list.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:03 PM   #22
Silver Member

Yeah, the 70A can do it, and I like the 4wd option, but we found the space in the travato worked really well for us. The sideways seating in the 70A is a bit funky IMHO

I never thought i'd say this, but I am now partial to the promaster platform for a 2wd. Its shorter, the front wheel drive is actually excellent, the operational cost is super low, and the upfront cost is WAY lower. The 3.6l gasser has plenty of power.

We have done 20k miles with a 3 year old in total comfort.

I am still debating getting a 4x4 sprinter so that I can enjoy winter a bit more, but for a fair weather choice, Ill take the Travato any day.

I beat the hell out of it and its been ROCK solid. Almost a month of on and off grid camping in Colorado- accessing streams and mountain bike trails was NO problem for the stock Travato.

The Chassis is more durable than the Coach meaning the Van has been problem free, but the WGO installed systems have required a little tweaking.

For ~$74k USD, this is the best value on the road BY FAR!!
riplips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:06 PM   #23

New updates to the Travato 2017. Very nice.

twallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #24
Bronze Member

Default New updates to the Travato 2017

Thanks, I wonder if the ladder and the running boards could be installed on a 2016?
Gobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobird View Post
Thanks, I wonder if the ladder and the running boards could be installed on a 2016?
I get the impression that the entire roof rack/ bike rack / ladder is a new system from a new manufacturer. The ladder has a special attachment at the bottom and the attachment at the top fits perfectly with the new roof rack. I don't think you could just take that ladder and use it on the current roof rack, but without having one to try, who knows. Maybe contact WGO Customer Service.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:53 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by eric1514
I'm going to be gone for a week with my wife and my grownup daughter. We will be using the dinette bed at least one if not two nights. As I've said before, the problem with the 59g extra bed is that you need to bring along two large cushions to make the bed that serve no other purpose and are therefore in the way during the day. I'll be storing them in a cargo carrier when not in use as they take up too much room in the van.

I was wondering if you could only bring the one that doesn't have the support bar and make it into a small twin width-wise.[/QUOTE]

Our simple solution:
With 2 travelers: Leave both extra cushions at home (2nd bed not needed)
With 3 travelers: STILL Leave both extra cushions at home. To make a twin bed, simply spin drivers seat around to backwards facing position and drop the table and cushions. Sleep lengthwise with feet on on drivers seat. This option leaves the passenger seat available for lounging and easy access to the sliding door.

With 4 travelers: Two children can easily sleep on the jigsaw bed with only one additional cushion (reverse the two front seats for extra room).

With 4 adult travelers: both extra cushions are needed, and access to the sliding door is hampered.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
Our simple solution:...With 3 travelers: STILL Leave both extra cushions at home. To make a twin bed, simply spin drivers seat around to backwards facing position and drop the table and cushions. Sleep lengthwise with feet on on drivers seat. This option leaves the passenger seat available for lounging and easy access to the sliding door...
I thought this was a great idea until I went out this morning and tried it. From the edge of the steel seatbelt tunnel to the edge of the driver's seat backrest, you get a bed that totals less than 56". Good for a small child, but not most adults.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:04 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I thought this was a great idea until I went out this morning and tried it. From the edge of the steel seatbelt tunnel to the edge of the driver's seat backrest, you get a bed that totals less than 56". Good for a small child, but not most adults.
Shucks. Too bad that doesn't work for you.
I guess you need a shorter daughter... mine is 12, I guess when she outgrows the bed, she can't come with anymore....
Old 10-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #29

I talked to Jim at the Pomona show about the front bed options, and he drew a picture showing that the twin bed shown in this picture would actually be positioned in the north-south direction (not east-west like shown) spanning from the bench to the driver seat with the driver seat back rotated and positioned closest to the door. The second twin bed would go from the bench seat to the passenger seat with the passenger seat rotated with its back to the door as well. The configuration would look like a Vberth. Might work.......
CamperVanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #30
Platinum Member

With the seat reversed, the cushions "lock" it in to place. We tried the "seat back to the door" thing in the travato (same front seats as the hymer I believe) which gives you a few more inches, but the seat does not lock into place at that position, and keeps moving around under your feet (we tried cramming in pillows too - didn't work so well).. I suppose one could figure out a way to lock the seat if they really needed those couple inches.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #31
Platinum Member

With the seat sideways you have a chance to kick the horn in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping. You'll make a lot of friends.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote