Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2022, 10:24 PM   #1

Default 60 yo couple need advise

60 year old couple looking for advise. We would travel with another couple mostly to sport venues. Seating for 4. We will never be at camp grounds. Sleeping would be short naps not overnight and would likely stay at hotel. Would like AWD but know this would $$$ to purchase. Thank you in advance for thoughts. Can’t wait to make purchase in next 10/12 months
Dajoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:55 AM   #2
Platinum Member

What are your desires for the vehicle? It doesn't sound like you need a bed. Do you want a kitchen? Bathroom (toilet? shower?)?

Are you interested in outdoor adventures that require carrying larger items like bikes or kayaks?

Will you be using it below freezing, or just during warmer months?
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
What are your desires for the vehicle? It doesn't sound like you need a bed. Do you want a kitchen? Bathroom (toilet? shower?)?

Are you interested in outdoor adventures that require carrying larger items like bikes or kayaks?

Will you be using it below freezing, or just during warmer months?
I would like a small bed even for few naps not for overnights. yes on kitchen. Toilet yes outdoor showers is fine. Bike racks would do don't need inside storage of large items. no traveling in January or February
Old 05-10-2022, 02:33 AM   #4
Platinum Member

It is hard to combine seating for 4 with a bed, bath, and kitchen in a class B RV. Many will have a couch in the back with basic seat belts, but these seats are not crash tested, and it can be too cold/hot and bumpy for adults on those back couches.

The Winnebago Travato G is a versatile B with decent size (for a B) bed, bath, and kitchen. It has what is called a front lounge layout with a dinette behind the front seats. The dinette seats have been redesigned to make them safer and more comfortable (the dinette used to have cheaply built bench seating), but i don't know how cramped and uncomfortable they might be, especially for adults.

The only currently produced B that i can think of with 4+ real seats is the Midwest Automotive Design Daycruiser. It has a pullout bed, but i don't know how nice it is, and something of a kitchen, and a toilet.

If you have the money, you might try one of the custom RV upfitters including Sportsmobile, or if you really have the money (~$350k) ARV will build whatever you want and it will be of the highest quality). There may be a small custom outfitter nearby that can build something close to what you want, but these have widely varying quality, price, and warranty concerns. I'd be leary of using these places unless you really know that they do good work and stand behind their product.

Have you spent time on RV Trader looking at class Bs? This might be a good place to go to get a sense of what is out there and what prices you will pay.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:58 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The Winnebago Era 70X checks all your boxes. Downside is it's big, built on the Sprinter 3500 extended dually van. This model has been around a while, so used units are available. When the rear sofa is folded flat, it creates two napping spots. Raised, it makes a second lounge area. If you don't mind the size, it'd be a very comfortable travel van for a group of up to six adults. The thing you'll find is as the size decreases, the extra front seats are the first to go. Class B's are generally optimized for couples, and a nice-sized bed is a higher priority than passenger seating. Best wishes with your search!

Winnebago Era 70X.jpg
Old 05-10-2022, 01:19 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The last thing I would want to do would be to drive a large vehicle like the Winnebago Era or any RV that seats 4 plus a bed, bathroom and kitchen into a very busy football stadium area and then try to find a place to park it. I can see the appeal of the idea but the logistics of driving that vehicle with limited visibility into most of the busy sports venues that we attend would be a nightmare for me. In fact, it would frequently be impossible.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:55 PM   #7
Platinum Member

The thing about class "B"s" are they are based on a van body and drive very easy. They park in the same space as an auto. They are no longer than a pickup truck but are higher in height. Try renting a class B for a short trip to see if it fits your requirements.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:45 PM   #8
Platinum Member

No need for 4WD just to drive to sporting events - just a heavy, expensive option that wont be used. If you aren't actually going to camp, you might want to look into what are called "conversion vans". These are built to provide very comfortable travel. They often have fold-down seats.. great to take a nap on, but have no actual camping facilities onboard for cooking, bathing, ect. Just Google "conversion van" and you will find a lot of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LLX_05.jpg (129.9 KB, 11 views)
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:00 PM   #9
Gold Member

"Can’t wait to make purchase in next 10/12 months"

Does that mean you need to get something *NOW* or that you are excited but willing to wait a bit?

My thought is something Sprinter based with captain's chairs. Aside from other mentions the Airstream Interstate 24GL, Grech RV Strada/Terreno, and Regency Xalta are in the luxury touring coach category with four seats, somewhere to nap, toilet, and kitchen. Of these, I'd guess the Airstream would be the easiest to find.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:58 PM   #10
Platinum Member

If sleeping space is not a priority you may want to look at Midwest Automotive Design. They have a travel van on the short Mercedes 144 chassis that seats up to 6 and includes a small kitchenette and bathroom.

https://midwestautomotivedesigns.com...rv-camper-van/
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:22 PM   #11

I went to see the Thor Sequence 20J model. While not being a fan of the Ram Chassis it seems to fit my needs. I can travel with 4/5 people to tailgates and golfing trips. Have to research the quality of Thor. What I did realize in seeing different vans in person is that my max length is 21 footer. Seems with all the popularity with class b recently that quality across all manufacturers are concerning problem
Old 05-12-2022, 09:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
The thing about class "B"s" are they are based on a van body and drive very easy. They park in the same space as an auto. They are no longer than a pickup truck but are higher in height. Try renting a class B for a short trip to see if it fits your requirements.
it's bad enough trying to convince my wife for us to spend over 100k and then hear the horror stories on recent purchases with so many issues. seeing your expensive coach in for service so quickly and for extended period of time has me concerned. I don't want to hear "I told you so" from her
Old 05-12-2022, 09:24 PM   #13
Platinum Member

One thing to be sure to check on, no matter what van you decide on, is if the available load capacity of the converted van can handle 6 people. 6 people can easily go over 1000# by quite a bit which can be more than available capacity. If you are talking about big folks add up a typical trip with approximate weights of the actual people.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:51 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I have never used RVShare.com myself (a VRBO-like RV rental site) but it would be a great way to do a test trip to a sporting event as a trial run before spending $100k+. Both you and your wife would learn a lot.

I was absolutely positive that I knew the type of RV I wanted to buy when I retired. I decided though to rent one for 3 days. I completely changed my mind and bought an entirely different RV type. That fairly inexpensive 3 day rental saved me from making a very expensive mistake.

Very few RV buyers will do this though.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:17 PM   #15
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajoser View Post
spend over 100k and then hear the horror stories on recent purchases with so many issues.
This actually a good reason to buy a used coach, if you can find one you like. Presumably the used coach has sorted out the horror story problems you mention.