Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #1

Default '91 Dodge RoadTrek

seriously considering buying an old (1991) Dodge Roadtrek.
seems to be in good shape and I like the size compared to the Westfalia (considered this but was discouraged by the small size/lack of toilet)

Is there anything I should be aware of when I go over to check it out? any known issues with these?

older van, so might look into doing a basic auto maintenance course so that I'm able to at least identify problems when on the road.

170K miles on it.
body work looks in good condition and interior looks great too.
Not sure about AC. Not mentioned in the ad but that's something I can get installed?
(we would be travelling around US in the south so don't want to melt in this thing.

New to RV's. In fact this would be my first vehicle! So any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
picklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

Default Re: '91 Dodge RoadTrek

hey,

one most quick question that I forgot to include

When buying a used vehicle is it wise to take to a mechanic before purchase and pay them to give it a once-over?
Is this something people do? Is this something local mechanics are familiar with?
Maybe even a local Dodge place? Ideally it would be a flat fee for an evaluation of current state of the van.

as I mentioned it's my first time buying, so I'm just unaware of protocol
cheers
Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Matt, on any vehicle that old it's all about condition and maintenance history. Also, check the date codes on the tires and if they are 7+ years old plan on replacing immediately. Try all the items in the coach,furnace, water heater, a/c, generator ( if there is one), water pump, etc. And yes, if you have little or no experience with motorized vehicles, DEFINITELY take a mechanic or find one you can take the van to and have the mechanics totally inspected. It needs to be put on a rack where the front end, universal joints, engine, transmission, rear end, brakes and any other systems can be properly checked/inspected. If these items are bad or worn out, this unit could quickly become a major money pit. See if the seller has any/all the maintenance records showing periodic maintenance such as oil changes, front end alignments, belt changes, brake work, etc, etc. If all is well, you may be making a sound purchase, if however, after 22 years this van has not been properly maintained it could be a disaster. Just be careful, have a very qualified person check it out and don't rush into this unit if there are any reservations. Best of luck, be careful here!
Old 07-15-2013, 01:51 AM   #4

many thanks,
good advice
Old 07-15-2013, 03:17 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

If it's a Dodge chassis, take it to a reputable Chrysler dealership near you, if possible, for the mechanical checks.
They should be the best equipped/qualified to tell you what it really needs, or if it's too far gone.
Of course, if the purchase price were right, it might be worth it, if you can afford to do the work.
That's your decision.
There are at least 2 older Roadtreks near me for sale. I haven't looked at them up close, but from what I've seen from passing by, they both look like they would need some restoration work.

Good luck, and like RSchleder suggested, don't rush into it. Take your time, do the homework, and think about it before you jump in. See the threads on here about some of my more recent escapades as examples of "cart before the horse" shopping. It all worked out OK, but could have ended badly.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:11 AM   #6

ok. Thanks - Will take my time. Definitely don't want to buy something without doing the research.
Seems to be a few campervans around, so they're not going anywhere.

It's tempting to buy one soon, but I can't afford to fix any major problems. Looking to pick one up under 10K if possible.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Matt, my suggestion to take your time is more centered around take your time AND completely check out each van you look at. Who knows, the 1st one you find may be excellent or you may have to look at several. The bottom line is BUY a GOOD, SOUND van and have it checked out by competent people before handing over the cash. Best of luck! Ron
Old 07-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklehead
ok. Thanks - Will take my time. Definitely don't want to buy something without doing the research.
Seems to be a few campervans around, so they're not going anywhere.

It's tempting to buy one soon, but I can't afford to fix any major problems. Looking to pick one up under 10K if possible.
Exactly.

I've just seen a 3rd Roadtrek (original "Versatile" model) nearby, but I didn't see a for sale sign. It's sitting in the lot at a local (non-dealer) auto repair shop. Could be for sale soon.
I also know of at least one pre-2000 D190P, with no generator, just around the corner from me, that may be for sale later this year. It's in pretty good shape, and has had some front end suspension and brake work done recently. It may fetch more than $10K, depending on the mileage. That will usually be a major deciding factor in pricing older models. Good luck with it.