Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2020, 03:21 AM   #1

Default '93 B350 Roadtrek Popular 190 propane regulator

Hi all, brand new here and first post ever.

My wife and I just bought an incredibly clean and nice 1993 Dodge B350 Roadtrek Popular 190. It is our 2nd Roadtrek, first one had to go due to unfortunate catastrophic rust issues.

Propane heater does not work. Fan comes on with thermostat movement. Knowledgeable seller said he had it checked and propane regulator is bad and leakey. I think he's right as if the heater is not seeing the correct pressure it won't light up.

I have searched the interweb a lot the past 2 days and cant seem to find which regulator I need and where to find one.

Any help and/or pointers? Thanks all!

I'm a mechanic and fabricator and I'm looking forward to learning a ton about every system on this thing.
zekenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
Platinum Member

You'll have to see the existing regulator orientation so you know how it is mounted for the vent. (you don't want the vent pointing up) It's possible that you'll find that it's a single stage regulator if very old. Current RV regulations specify using a two-stage regulator so now would be the time to upgrade.

I recently bought this two-stage regulator - https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...aps-10356.html - & will be installing it soon.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekenator View Post
Hi all, brand new here and first post ever.

My wife and I just bought an incredibly clean and nice 1993 Dodge B350 Roadtrek Popular 190. It is our 2nd Roadtrek, first one had to go due to unfortunate catastrophic rust issues.

Propane heater does not work. Fan comes on with thermostat movement. Knowledgeable seller said he had it checked and propane regulator is bad and leakey. I think he's right as if the heater is not seeing the correct pressure it won't light up.

I have searched the interweb a lot the past 2 days and cant seem to find which regulator I need and where to find one.

Any help and/or pointers? Thanks all!

I'm a mechanic and fabricator and I'm looking forward to learning a ton about every system on this thing.
Welcome. I would suggest trying the range and water heater(if equipped) to verify the faulty regulator, but at 27 years old, probably a good idea to replace it.

I have a brother up in Bemidji that has a 93 and a 95, both Dodges with the 318. He's not a forum type of person, though.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
You'll have to see the existing regulator orientation so you know how it is mounted for the vent. (you don't want the vent pointing up) It's possible that you'll find that it's a single stage regulator if very old. Current RV regulations specify using a two-stage regulator so now would be the time to upgrade.

I recently bought this two-stage regulator - https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...aps-10356.html - & will be installing it soon.
Ah ok cool. We are picking up the new RT on Saturday so I can check it all out then.

Mind if I ask the price on one of those regulators? I was thinking/told it was a 20 - 50 dollar part. Not a big deal just curious.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Welcome. I would suggest trying the range and water heater(if equipped) to verify the faulty regulator, but at 27 years old, probably a good idea to replace it.

I have a brother up in Bemidji that has a 93 and a 95, both Dodges with the 318. He's not a forum type of person, though.
It does have a water heater, sitting in a closet not hooked up atm. Our old one did not have a water heater, so it's another thing I look forward to figgerin out.

Seller did say he used the range a bunch. Wondered how he went thru the propane so fast, then had the system checked, leak found, etc. So range worked even with leak.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #6

I have the 95D190P, so very similar to your unit, but don't know the exact differences. It's an easy enough job to do, but important to get it done correctly as any leak can be dangerous.

Here is an article that helped me understand RV propane systems: Avoiding the Pitfalls of RV Propane System Failure (by RV Doctor).

First, to know if it's possibly the pressure regulator, one easy way is to see if your burners work correctly. If they work fine, it might not be the regulator, but it still could be. Also, if the burners work but your heater isn't it also could be the valve to the heater, the thermocouple, or thermostat.

Mine uses the Marshall Excelsior MEGR-291 2-stage regulator and is found inside the plastic covering next to the valve, located behind the access panel which is the driver side step. You just need to confirm what yours is and replace with exact or similar - exact will be easiest. If using similar, the biggest issue is making sure that the vent is pointed in the same direction (down) and the fittings are correct.

I might also suggest replacing the valve at the same time because I've seen plenty of posts from folks who say their valve leaks a little (as mine did) when not fully open or fully closed (probably valve packing). I can't find the info on the valve right now, but will look around, but I remember it was pretty standard. I've also read a number of postings that suggest it should be replaced every 10 years (and carry a replacement as many recommend).

If you use similar, make sure it's set for 11 column inches, the most common. Most come preset (although they all have adjustments).

Once the tank is empty (if necessary, have a professional vacate your tank), replacement is fairly simple. I had to remove a plastic covering to get to mine and it was easy enough to undo all the fittings and put it back together. Use some (minimal) plumbers putty before putting back together to help prevent leaks. Finally, to make sure there are no leaks, test under pressure using soapy water around every connection. If it bubbles you need to tighten that connection.

My new one also has a port for a pressure gauge which I added so I could easily see if the system is at appropriate pressure. I had to cut the plastic cover a little bit to make it fit around that. I think I paid another $25 for those parts and gives me peace of mind to check periodically and know it's right.

Since you are a mechanic and fabricator, you will really enjoy your unit. I've already done numerous upgrades and mods, and there is a ton of info out there. I'd suggest looking up Red Rover RoadTrek amongst others for some great ideas.

Good luck!
2006 Avon Adventurer 16
2000 Riot Hammer - Team Member Custom
inforiculturist is offline   Reply With Quote