Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2019, 02:28 AM   #1

Default '97 Roadtrek 170 Popular - Part Help

Hi. I'm new to this site and RVs in general. I just purchased a '97 Roadtrek 170 Popular. Needless to say, there are quite a few things wrong with it. I have it at an RV shop and one thing they told me to look for are used captains chairs from a Dodge 2500 Van. The salvage yards, however, are telling me that I need a '94-'97...and unfortunately there aren't a lot of these out there that I've been able to find locally. I did find a B2500 is that the same as the RAM 2500? There are a couple from other years - does anyone know if I HAVE to stick with a '94-'97 for all parts? The passenger seat belt that comes from the wall is also broken so I'm not sure if I need to try to find from the same years? The engine air conditioner compressor I'm told is bad too but I'm also told the pipes connecting it are rusted - but they might be special order? Two people have already turned down fixing the A/C. They are also trying to fix the exterior fiberglass compartments under the driver's door and on the driver's side over the exterior shower, etc. - is there anywhere anyone has found to find these compartments or is it easier to just have them try their best to fix the existing fiberglass?
Other problems that I'm not sure how to fix are the side mirrors - as they seem to constantly bend in toward the van while driving. I've read this is a problem until '98. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Also, the horn is not working but the key to the glove box (which I'm told needs to be opened to check fuses) is also not working. How do I open the glovebox without a working key? Locksmith? What if it is not the fuse?
By the radio a red GEN light seemed to flash when I went over bumps - does anyone know what this is? Is it for a Generator? Would it light up if I bought a small generator any plugged it in? Any recommendations on one for this?
Last but not least (for now...lol) is that the radio is broken - since this is a motorhome - can I just go to any radio shop and have a new one installed or do I need a specific one?
Thanks for any help - it's been a frustrating search and forums have helped me tremendously in the past. Thanks again for any information on any of the above - I know it's a lot. Anything is appreciated!
Roadtrek 170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

First off, welcome to our world.

Searching on this forum and elsewhere would be prudent.

As far as parts, when you look up a part see what the range of years is. This can help when searching salvage yards.

If the hinges are shot on the side boxes they are available directly on the web. Do a search on this forum for where.

Sounds like you have a project on your hands, have fun.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Also, the generator light would apply to the wiring on the chassis side. As it is intermittent it prove quite challenging.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:28 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to tluna

I have a 94 RoadTrek built on a 93 Chevy G30 chassie, I thought I had a problem with A/C and found that, that the unit was just a small window home unit which had no problems. ....But, since nothing was wrong with it, I found that it could be removed through the cabinet compartment over the Dinette. .....As for the safety belts I found a Company named Wesco Performance ....https://www.wescoperformance.com .....lots of
Luck. oops! .......I almost forgot, I did replace my Radio and added a back-up camera, thats the easiest of all. ...I bought a Jensen that was just and easy swap Jensen is made by Aduiovox do a google search and you'll find them.
tluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #5

Default Thanks!

Thank you both for the tips! It's greatly appreciated. We did, by a stroke of good luck, find an '80s RoadTrek in a salvage yard so we were able to pick up some items off of it in hopes that we can get those to work. Also found an RV shop that is willing to help us with work above our heads for a reasonable price but it's taking forever to get in for service. Patience is required on these old rigs is what I'm learning. Thanks again for all of your help! The advice and links are a huge help!
Roadtrek 170 is offline   Reply With Quote