Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2022, 06:07 AM   #1

Default '97 Roadtrek D190P showerpan / dropped floor composition

Just wanted to see if anyone knows exactly what material(s) these dropped floors / showerpans are made of. I'm guessing they are a combination of a fiberglass shell that is perhaps lined with ABS or some other type of plastic on the interior surface of the pan. I'd like to know what the surface material is in particular, as it will guide which adhesive would work best to adhere wood and/or metal to the showerpan floor. (3M 5200 and PL Marine will stick to most things, but some plastics are iffy).

FWIW / FYI-- I'm doing a complete gutting, re-design, and rebuild of the rig... so I may be asking other equally strange questions in the future!

Many thanks!
BSB100022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I would assume the surface of the shower pan is a gelcoat that is sprayed on the mold before the fiberglass is applied. I have the same make and model that you do, and I just thought the floor pan was the same basic construction as my fiberglass sailboat. That being said, the gelcoat can be sanded and cleaned with acetone before applying the sealant, and it should stick. Be aware, the 3M 5200 seals very well, and is waterproof, but it is permanent. The 3m 4200 is also good, but is removable.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:37 PM   #3

Thanks, TomF.
I didn't consider it possibly being gelcoat, due to the texture of it. When it gets above freezing here in Ohio, I'll go out and do a little sanding to see. They used a combination of a black adhesive sealant and pop-rivets to secure the pan into the giant hole they cut into the floor. Wish I knew what that black stuff was (some form of Sikaflex, maybe?). After 25 years, the stuff is still strong, flexible, and tenacious.

I'm seriously hoping that, and counting on, the 5200 being just as permanent!
Old 01-16-2022, 05:08 PM   #4

Default Construction Process

This might answer some of your questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20051227...prodpro_03.asp
davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
This might answer some of your questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20051227...prodpro_03.asp
That's a gem Dave, thanks, and welcome to the forum.
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:56 PM   #6

Thank you, DaveF!
I went out and sanded a little sample spot in the shower pan floor. Came up powdery, sort of like gelcoat, but with a very plastic feel to it. Still too cold for trying 3M 5200 Fast Cure, so will wait until above freezing to try anything. Even if it isn't gelcoat, and is a form of plastic, I'm thinking 5200 will work if the surface is abraded enough.

From the article you provided, it seems to me that the Chevy models (at least the 210s) were manufactured as very well-disguised Class Cs. Didn't realize that until now. Good to know!