Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2021, 10:44 PM   #1
Jay

Default 98 Roadtrek Dodge Ram 3500 rear single door

Hi RV'ers!

I have a 98 Roadtrek Dodge Ram 3500 single rear horizontal swing door that sqweaks on the road. A lot. Any suggestions on how best to fix it?

Thank you,
Jay
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Just a couple of thoughts. First, I would tighten every bolt I could find on the hinges and elsewhere on the door. Then, I would spray every rubber molding on the door and frame with silicon spray. I would let it really soak into the surfaces since they are 23 years old. I also would probably spray any surfaces on the door that could mate with the frame. Sometimes, we get lucky and simple things work but you may have already tried these easy solutions.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #3
Silver Member

You may have a cracked hinge pin. The door could still work but the pin itself could be broken. Just a suggestion as I've owned a few vans that it's happen to.
Good luck and Merry Christmas!
topwop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:47 PM   #4
Platinum Member

97 PleasureWay on 96 Dodge chassis with single rear door. I recently found that all my doors were creaking loudly when opened/closed. I used a silicone spray on all hinges and that cured the noise on every one. They operate more smoothly now as well.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The rubber moldings and gaskets on our fifteen year old RT are like new. Of course, much of that is due to the fact it has been stored inside since new. Also, I believe, it is because every spring I spray everything rubber with liberal amounts of silicon.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:13 AM   #6

We have a 1997 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Popular (Dodge B3500, single rear door just like yours). Two years ago our rear door suddenly developed a very bad squeak going over minor bumps and uneven pavement-- it was a very loud metal-on-metal rubbing sound that was actually quite disturbing. The sound was so violent I thought the rear door window would shatter.

I did my best to isolate where the sound was coming from by grabbing the spare tire carrier and moving the door up-and-down and in-and-out while it was closed. It seemed to be coming from the top of the door where it makes light contact with the van body. On a hunch I removed the heavy spare tire that hangs from the door and the sound immediately went away. It hasn't returned since.

I'm assuming that ultimately the hinges need adjusted or replaced, which would be the proper "fix". But removing 50+ pounds of dead weight hanging off the door has done the job for two years now. We are strictly urban vandwellers, so the lack of a spare tire doesn't concern us one iota.
BSB100022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 09:00 PM   #7
otr
Gold Member

Default single door dodges

We have a 2000 RT 190V, single back door with the spare tire mounted on the hinges and door (factory mount). I think the weight of spare is destroying the integrity of the hinge/door system. The space at the bottom of the door away from the hinges is basically nil and suggests the door is being torques clockwise by the tire.
I would like to add a fold down tire mount like on the newer Chevys, but do not have a second receiver on the left side of the hitch, I need the center receiver for a bike rack.
Any thoughts on finding a tire mount like this for a reasonable price, as well as adding another receiver.
Anyone else given this as much thought as I have?
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 01:25 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Hi RV'ers!

I have a 98 Roadtrek Dodge Ram 3500 single rear horizontal swing door that sqweaks on the road. A lot. Any suggestions on how best to fix it?

Thank you,
Jay
Hi, there is a small black nylon sliding plate under the door , it may be worn out . It helps to keep the door properly centered on the vertical axis, and also prevents metal to metal contact on final approach to closing. I also have a solution if you want to move your spare tire rack to the front. I posted it in the photos album last year, it is quite simple and it use the original spare tire rack with the addition of 2 brackets . My rig is a PW, 1996 Dodge B3500
Blueboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #9
otr
Gold Member

I did not see an album with your front tire mount, just the photo of your solar mount.....could you add a photo?
thx!
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:35 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Default Front tire carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by otr View Post
I did not see an album with your front tire mount, just the photo of your solar mount.....could you add a photo?
thx!
It is on page 4 of the albums, under the title Dodge b3500 front tire carrier . Back then, I had the alias Soyouz9. Send me a private message if you need the Cad drawings of the bracket.
Blueboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote