Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default '98 RT 190, gasoline smell/leak in outside compartment

The driver's side compartment for water lines, electric line, & outside shower. This compartment has gas leaking into it when I add gas to the gas tank. There is a water leak at the "stop valve" in the compartment which will be replaced soon but don't think this is how the gas is getting into the compartment. Seems odd that this has happened the last two times I have added gas after the rv has been sitting for a few months. Can anyone point me in a direction to finding this dangerous condition? Thanks
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: '98 RT 190, gasoline smell/leak in outside compartment

Can you crawl under the rig and see how the filler tube is run to the tank? Does the tube enter and exit the compartment? Maybe the water might have "road" oil in it and might sheen like gas. The overfill tube should be looked at also. Let us know.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
Silver Member

The problem, gas leak, happened after I had the RT retrofitted for solar. It is possible that some screws were put in a location that cut into the gas tank or fill tube. It is in the shop today and being looked over for the problem. Unfortunately the person that did the retrofit is in the hospital and had 3x bypass surgery today. Stay tuned and thanks for your response.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
Silver Member

The mechanic found a bad connection from the plastic fill tube and where it goes into the metal tube to the gas tank. They have ordered a new plastic fill tube from back East (I am in CA) so will update when it is installed with the results.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:28 AM   #5
Platinum Member

So was it gas in the compartment or water? Let us know when you get the rig back.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
Silver Member

It was both gas and water. The "stop valve" in the compartment was leaking and had to be replaced. That was done at the same time the rubber hinge that connects the compartment lid to the rig was replaced. (lots of rivets) There was just enough water left in the rig to leak in the compartment. So it was both gas and water in the compartment.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Silver Member

I am still not sure how the gas found it's way from the leaking fill tube to the compartment. The tube does not run through the compartment. When that mystery is solved will let you know.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:00 AM   #8
Silver Member

Well the replacement of the "fill tube" stopped the gas from leaking into the compartment when I fill the tank. So I still don't know how the gas was leaking from the leak at the bottom of the fill tube to the compartment. Maybe some day I will find out and post here at that time. In the meantime thanks to all that viewed this thread and the comments. Bob