Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2020, 03:42 AM   #21
Platinum Member

I would love to see Humble Road on that list, but he's not quite ready for prime-time. That's not a knock on the quality of his product, which is among the very best in the class B sector, but it's more about the quantity, considering he's only working on vans #3 and #4 right now. Whether or not he ever becomes a higher volume shop, he's still one of only 2 or 3 craftsman I'm considering to build my van. Plus his youtube chronicles are a joy to follow.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 03:57 PM   #22

Grechrv.com
great coach
SmokeyFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 04:29 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhectorg View Post
I would love to see Humble Road on that list, but he's not quite ready for prime-time. That's not a knock on the quality of his product, which is among the very best in the class B sector, but it's more about the quantity, considering he's only working on vans #3 and #4 right now. Whether or not he ever becomes a higher volume shop, he's still one of only 2 or 3 craftsman I'm considering to build my van. Plus his youtube chronicles are a joy to follow.
George and the HR team are doing just fine. You don't need to be a high volume builder to be a well respected, quality builder. Volume has nothing to do with it. If you're willing to wait for a high quality build and don't mind paying for it, low volume independent builders like HR are who you should be looking at.

Also, HR is on their 4th full size van, but they've also delivered several ProMaster City "mini-me" vans. I suspect they will build more of those than full size vans going forward.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 03:12 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhectorg View Post
I would love to see Humble Road on that list,.
Where is he located? Seems to be a secret as it isn't mentioned on his websites.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 03:33 PM   #25
Gold Member

Humble Road is in northern NJ. Obfuscating the exact location is smart - a small business doesn't need random YT fans just dropping by the business to say hello and ask for a tour.
Old 01-02-2023, 09:10 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInWoods View Post
Humble Road is in northern NJ. Obfuscating the exact location is smart - a small business doesn't need random YT fans just dropping by the business to say hello and ask for a tour.
Advanced RV encourages dropping by. I was their first visitor in 2012 on a tip by Great West Vans when they hadn't delivered a van yet and I got the tour, but was two years before I committed for a build. George Mauro has been a frequent visitor at ARV. I met him at ARV. Small businesses have to promote on a personal basis and a small volume cannot justify the cost of scattershot advertising.

Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, et al, have made it much easier to get the word out with just time as a cost, but you have to follow up with more time.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:05 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInWoods View Post
They don't have to give the street address, but for many the location matters as to delivery issues. For instance, knowing that it is in New Jersey would take it out of my consideration. Thus I wouldn't even bother them with a call or email. I chose to have Colorado Camper do mine as it was a convenient location for me.

BTW, your other comment about the company concentrating on the tiny vans has been ended for them. I got an email this morning from Recon Van informing their email list that Ford, Ram, Nissan, and Mercedes are all getting out of the small van market. Not only because of the continuing problems with parts, and they don't sell enough of them. Chevy and Nissan had already reported cancelling theirs.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 12:01 AM   #28
Platinum Member

George from Humble Road is very talented in advertising his conversions. Great videos, in one he miniaturized himself and gave a tour from inside of the plumbing cabinet, it was joy to see it, very innovative way to show work.

My advice to potential buyers would be agree upfront on the final weight specification. I appreciate his crusade with 80/20 aluminum framing for cabinetry work, but his abundant use of large profile 80/20 combined with thick hardwood make me wonder about weights of his conversions.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b van, class b, sprinter, van, van conversion