Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default A Smart Class B Bathroom Solution?

With space in a Class B at a premium and on-board water restricted due to size, would this make sense for a smaller RV instead of a composting toliet or traditional toilet?

A stow-able toilet would result in a larger on-board shower space and could be used outside in a protected tent instead of in an enclosed van (weather permitting).
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

If it is saving space and more, a tripod with toilet seat and Wag Bags. And almost free compared to that green thing.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Looks overly complicated to me. I’ve never liked temporary toilets stowed away and then you have to poop and pee in your open to galley, aisle or living space. I will have an enclosed bathroom.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Looks overly complicated to me. I’ve never liked temporary toilets stowed away and then you have to poop and pee in your open to galley, aisle or living space. I will have an enclosed bathroom.
BTW... What is the status of your new 144 Sprinter build out?
Old 03-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Looks like just a real expensive way to "hot bag". A bucket and a bag would give you the same solution for a couple bucks if you are the type to poo in a bag.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We are pretty much finalizing our 2019 Sprinter order and have put down a deposit. It will be a 2500 144 Sprinter. No dually or 4x4. We have a lot of design work and decisions to do yet. Delivery date is unknown but we will get with ARV at the end of April.

This is a first generation 3D image of the interior. I’m continuing to refine it but the kitchen galley is essentially as much as we have now and the bathroom is bigger with a 30” x 31” floor. We also have 27 cubic foot storage in the back for two folding bikes, or two inflatable kayaks or anything else we desire to carry which is more space than we have now in our extended van. Note the 30” wide bunk beds. They occupy 26% of available floor space instead of 60% if twin beds on the floor or a sofa/bed arrangement. The 828ah lithium batteries will be inside under the lower bed.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:31 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Davyyd, that is intriguing. How about posting a floorplan?

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
Platinum Member

@ Davydd

Will you be producing a special ongoing thread / post anywhere on your project similar to your last Class B build?
Old 03-07-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Seems less sanitary as well.... I agree with you 💯 percent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post

I definitely would not want to have a temporary toilet....on board with all my stuff and food.
That's what holding tanks are for...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I guess I don’t see the advantage of this gadget over using a portable wag bag toilet...

Products

I have seen several DIY builds with a single space used for the shower and for a portable toilet that can be moved out when taking a shower. Minimizes the area needed for a wet bath. From the reactions so far, it is clear that not everyone would go for this approach...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
I guess I don’t see the advantage of this gadget over using a portable wag bag toilet...

Products

I have seen several DIY builds with a single space used for the shower and for a portable toilet that can be moved out when taking a shower. Minimizes the area needed for a wet bath. From the reactions so far, it is clear that not everyone would go for this approach...

If one were OK with a portable toilet, I think that is a decent solution, especially if the shower stall has easy to slide out of the way storage for non shower types of when not using the shower.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:02 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I’m totally OK with a portable bag-based toilet, but if you gave me that monstrosity, I’d get rid of it. My set-up cost about ~$40 and $34 of that is the stool we regularly use otherwise. I’ve never wished I had anything fancier, and a one-gallon bucket is mighty easy to store..

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:02 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I agree that the featured product would not interest me. It is all hat and no cattle.

Watching that video, I wasn't sure what to expect, but that plus the thread title reminded me of this gem which I found by accident on a surplus auction site when I was searching for a good aircraft seat foot rest to use when I have my T1N Sprinter passenger seat swiveled backwards (which puts my feet too high off the floor).

At some point, I have no doubt that some Instagram DIY vanner is going to introduce the world to this rather unusual adaptation. This, too, is a bit too far out for my taste. Dual-purpose cab passenger seating, anyone?? Anyone??

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Dual-purpose cab passenger seating, anyone?? Anyone??
That 'throne' can truly be described as a multi-functional device.

With the right person using it, 'weapon of mass destruction' comes to mind.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #15
Platinum Member

It's funny, isn't it? I just can't imagine the usage scenario. Presumably from the size of the seat, it came out of a large enough aircraft to have both pilot and co-pilot. So, does one guy get an exclusive loo, or does the other guy also have one, like loo too? And if one has to go, does the other step outside the cabin while the deed is done? Leaving the other guy to fly by the seat of his pants (which are actually on the floor)?

These may be logistical details which none of us should be privy to, pun intended.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
It's funny, isn't it? I just can't imagine the usage scenario. Presumably from the size of the seat, it came out of a large enough aircraft to have both pilot and co-pilot. So, does one guy get an exclusive loo, or does the other guy also have one, like loo too? And if one has to go, does the other step outside the cabin while the deed is done? Leaving the other guy to fly by the seat of his pants (which are actually on the floor)?

These may be logistical details which none of us should be privy to, pun intended.

Actually, a lot of small private jets have a bathroom that is specifically designed to accommodate an extra passenger when needed.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Actually, a lot of small private jets have a bathroom that is specifically designed to accommodate an extra passenger when needed.
I would be mortified to be in a plane crash and the rescuers find me in a debris field strapped in that device 'in the altogether'. /s
Old 03-14-2019, 03:55 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Anything that adds "disposable" plastic bags to the environment is bad. Secondly, anything that causes human waste to be disposed of in a manner other than through a septic or sewage treatment system is bad, especially if it's mixed in with normal "trash" and you're potentially exposing other people in the trash-waste disposal 'system' to your waste. There are too many of us doing this now. We all need to be more mindful of what happens with those plastic bags after they leave our hands.

Stick with a composting toilet, porta-pottie, or standard dump RV system.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Default RV plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
Anything that adds "disposable" plastic bags to the environment is bad. Secondly, anything that causes human waste to be disposed of in a manner other than through a septic or sewage treatment system is bad, especially if it's mixed in with normal "trash" and you're potentially exposing other people in the trash-waste disposal 'system' to your waste. There are too many of us doing this now. We all need to be more mindful of what happens with those plastic bags after they leave our hands.

YES... disposable bags...no thanks...I prefer my tanks.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bathroom solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post

Agreed +1
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote